Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a little concerned that maybe the fuel gauge indicator is not marking the right level of gas. I have been tracking about 21mpg. Light driving, mostly highway, very little use of the AC. I know, very high mpg, but thats what I am getting.

So my question is how many gallons can the gas tank hold. I am getting about 375 miles with way over a 1/4 tank left.

My next question, is the level maybe getting stuck at the bottom 1/4 part of the gauge. when it should read less than a 1/4 left??

Dont really know how many miles I can get from one full tank of gas....

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I believe the tank size is about 21 gallons. I usually get about 275 on 15 gallons. It was 325 until the whole E10 crap we have to use now.

I know you calculated 21 but is that figuring how many miles driven divided by the amount of gallons needed to re-fill the tank?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Your fuel light will come on and the dte will start to flash. If you are getting 21mpg you may get 400 miles on the tank before your fuel light comes on.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
So I am a little concerned that maybe the fuel gauge indicator is not marking the right level of gas. I have been tracking about 21mpg. Light driving, mostly highway, very little use of the AC. I know, very high mpg, but thats what I am getting.

So my question is how many gallons can the gas tank hold. I am getting about 375 miles with way over a 1/4 tank left.

My next question, is the level maybe getting stuck at the bottom 1/4 part of the gauge. when it should read less than a 1/4 left??

Dont really know how many miles I can get from one full tank of gas....
I was getting about 21-23 mpg before I got bigger tires, so your numbers sound about right. From what I recall I was driving about 440 miles per tank prior to filling up (I like to push it, haha!). Now, if you notice when you fill it up, it takes quite a while for the needle to even make it down past the full mark. For me it was about 60 miles maybe before the needle would even move, then it would move faster as it went across the rest of the gauge toward the bottom, then slow back down again and sort of hover as it approaches below the bottom line (yes, it will go below the bottom line!). I don't think yours is stuck, it just doesn't make an even, steady sweep of the gauge. Nothing to worry about. Even now when the light comes on I know I still have quite a ways to go before I'm actually empty. Maybe I just like the adrenaline rush, who knows.

Oh and if you have it, I wouldn't trust the little computer that tells you how many miles til empty you have. On my 05 explorer I drove well over 10 miles with it saying 0 MTE. And if I got going the right speed on the highway it would tell me I was getting some insane MPG, like 78 or something. Then again, it was a Ford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah. I just got some info that our tanks 21.1 gal to be exact.

So I was just worrying too soon about getting 375 miles on 3/4 of a tank.

The way I am calculating my mpg's is: At the pump see how many gallons it takes to fill up, and divide miles driven till that point with gallons pumped. Again I am averaging 21.3 MPG. I think that is great for my V6 4X4.

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to push it till the light comes on. I am thinking 21MPG X 21.1 gal = 443.1 miles out of my tank.

My 4-Runner 4.0L don't even get even close. It is averaging 18.9. My sis 08' Quest 3.5L is getting 18.6 MPG's

·
Registered
770 Posts
Those are crazy good numbers. I get 18.5 at most hwy. I avg. 16 mpg daily on country roads to and from work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are crazy good numbers. I get 18.5 at most hwy. I avg. 16 mpg daily on country roads to and from work.
Yeah, thats pretty much my drive to work. 15 min drive on a Parkway. Again I don't use the AC much and shift between 2500 and 3000 RPM's all the time. I believe is a combination of all those things, but mainly the manual tranny.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Those numbers are awesome. Personally I would not push past the 1/4 tank mark. It has a tendency to put you in a bad situation if you need to go someplace quick and it may screw up the fuel sending unit because it don't like to run too low nor does it like to pick up tank debris.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, thats pretty much my drive to work. 15 min drive on a Parkway. Again I don't use the AC much and shift between 2500 and 3000 RPM's all the time. I believe is a combination of all those things, but mainly the manual tranny.
It does have a lot to do with how you drive these trucks. Like you I drive mine pretty easy and average mid 19's. Just went on vacation last week and got 22mpg with the A/C on and a bed full of stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
:stupid:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts