Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a few support bars to my bed rack (see pic) what I can't really decide is the best way to do this. I'd like it to be bolt on so it's easy to remove, I'm having trouble finding a bracket that might work for this. The existing bars are about 2" diameter and the support bars would be the same. Any ideas or recommendations on brackets that would work?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Is it steel or aluminum? I take it that the support bars connect the two uprights.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There steel, yup just looking to connect the two uprights somehow.

I have a Yakima gear basket I'm looking to mount up there and with the addition of the fuel cell i've had to move the uprights to far apart for it to reach.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Are you able to weld or someone willing to do it for you?
I would weld flanges to your existing cross bars and use square or rectangular tubing to connect them. You should notch the tubes so that it fits tight against the crossbar. I am aware you probably don't have a notcher but if careful you could do it by hand with a 4.5" grinder. I posted a photo with the notched square tubing to show what I meant.
There is another way if you want to use round tubing but entails a lot more work.If you decide to use round tubing I can send you more details.
Also it seems using 2" support tubes is overkill and woulda be quite heavy unless you go thin wall. I would go with a smaller tubing but thicker wall to maintain strength only because of the basket.
I know it is difficult without proper tools and seems the flanges would be the easiest.
You can buy all sorts of brackets from "Ballistic Fabrication". That is where I buy my flanges and even though I could make them, it is not worth the trouble. Who knows you may find the brackets you are looking for. Check them out.
Forgot to add that the bracket shown is mounted to a 2" diameter tube. I know it is probably not worth having something like that machined but may give you another idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't weld so if i have to go that way I'd have to take it somewhere to get done, although if I can't find any bolt on brackets that may be the best option. I was hoping to do this a bit cheaper than take it to a welder to fab something up for me. I'll check of ballistic fab, thanks for the tip I'll check them out and see what might work.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
+1 for welding on some brackets. This would be the cleanest way to do it.

While not very pretty, you could use these on the tops and bolt some rectangular tubing to them.
Dock Hardware | Dock Straight Bracket, 10" L., 2" Pipe| VE-VE Inc.

These are nice too, but I don't like the single shear support bar mounting...
2 inch pipe post bracket

The cheapest and simplest way though would be to use u bolts in some square or rectangular tubing.

Like this:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions glamisdude. I don't mind the ubolt idea, seems effective and the least expensive option. I guess I'll go see what I'll cost to get some removable cross bars fab'ed up as well, seems like that's the preferred option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts