Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thrifty side of me is curious...
Have purchased four '10 SE wheels (w/o TPMS) that I'd like to mount some either Winter or AT tires for the Winter months. If I brought in just the wheels, can I get tires mounted/balanced w/o TPMS sensors?
My understanding is that there are liability issues for the tire store?

The above wheels do not come w/ center caps. Anyone know how easy/difficult it is to locate used center caps?
I found new OEM ones for ~$48/each...which is TOTALLY laughable. Geez...
TIA

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Mrs. Cusser bought a 2005 Yukon 6 years ago; the TPS sensors were all malfunctioning. She's bought at least two sets of tires for this, no problems; TPS still haven't been replaced, we check pressures the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Legally NO. It all depends on the tire shop. Up here in snow country most shops are not going to give you a hard time. I found my mother in law a set of wheel and told he to get her snow tires mounted then on the car. She lives in the foothills. She goes to Les Swab. They said NO WAY.

To be safe I would take the spare wheels into the shop off the truck. Have them mount the tires (put new valve stems on them) and load them back into your truck. If they ask if this is for your Frontier say NO. "My old farm truck!!"

Center caps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NISSAN-...ash=item3606c14a73:g:y48AAOSw1DtXJr1M&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Legally NO. It all depends on the tire shop. Up here in snow country most shops are not going to give you a hard time. I found my mother in law a set of wheel and told he to get her snow tires mounted then on the car. She lives in the foothills. She goes to Les Swab. They said NO WAY.

To be safe I would take the spare wheels into the shop off the truck. Have them mount the tires (put new valve stems on them) and load them back into your truck. If they ask if this is for your Frontier say NO. "My old farm truck!!"
Good advice.

Sure wish those center caps would work as I like the price.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nissan4Life, I did a lil digging around on EBay and scored 4 used center caps for '10 SE wheels for ~$30 shipped. Thank you, sir!

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
1) Contacted an independent dealer and he had no issue w/ mounting new tires onto rims w/o TPMS. He 'thought' that Florida might have a 'law' that requires operational TPMS for tire mounting purposes.
2) Contacted a national chain and they, too, had no issue w/ mounting new tires w/o TPMS...though I would need to sign a waver.

Bottom line: check w/ your tire dealer as there may very well be State Laws in place requiring operational TPMS.

My plans have changed since I unearthed a killer deal on a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S that will be mounted on my stock rims. My spare set of rims might be used next Winter.

Addendum: if reusing one's current TPMS, the national chain recommended rebuilding them w/ new hardware & washers. At $3/unit, I found this very reasonable. They related an incident where a customer reused their TPMS w/o a rebuild...which then failed and they sued the tire store. Litigious society we live in...

·
Premium Member
12,167 Posts
i dont have emissions or inspections of any kind. i can light my **** on fire and drive it down the street if i want.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is there any functionality issues with running wheels without tpms sensors? I read on another vehicle i had if the car did not have the TPMS sensors it would limit your top speed. Not saying that is going to be an issue but just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts
No tpms on the Pathfinder I had with new rims and I hear from someone in the truck with my son that he did 114 mph in it on the highway. Why oh why do they tell me this stuff? I'd rather not have to worry about him. So no the tpms doesn't limit speed.

Clint

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any functionality issues with running wheels without tpms sensors? I read on another vehicle i had if the car did not have the TPMS sensors it would limit your top speed. Not saying that is going to be an issue but just wondering.
In my readings around here, have not come across any issues other than the blinking dash light ~> easily fixed w/ duct tape.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There's one guy on VQ Nation that built a little PVC canister with 4 sensors in it. Pumped it up and learned the sensors and threw it in the trunk!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't run TPMS on either of my sets of wheels and for some reason the light doesn't come on unless I change altitude very quickly such as 2000ft+ in a short drive. I have ordered two sets of wheels/tires from DTC without TPMS and they didn't give me any problems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts