Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am trying to get back in to mountain biking. I went for a ride with my daughter today and it was a little sloppy carrying the 2 bikes in the back of the bed.

I have also seen some of the posts about the OEM roof having some "issues".

Any thoughts on a good way to carry 2 (at the most) or 3 mountain bikes on the OEM roof rack. I currently have a Yakima setup in the basement, but will not work on the OEM roof rack the way it is now.

Concerns:
- security (awaiting a new full suspension Mtn bike).
- stability/strength
- ease of use.

Does anyone know how many full sized mountain bikes will fit using the OEM crossbars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
your best bet would be trial and error man, then post up your findings

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah, with stuff like that you have to be the one teach the forum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nissan also sells mighty mounts which you should be able to attach to the yakima rack and mount on OEM roof rack. Another option that i do is to just strap the bikes in the bed. I use the factory ancohrs that go in the utilitrack then just use bungies to secure the bikes, i've done this and taken the truck on the highway and had no problems.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
All, I am trying to get back in to mountain biking. I went for a ride with my daughter today and it was a little sloppy carrying the 2 bikes in the back of the bed.

I have also seen some of the posts about the OEM roof having some "issues".

Any thoughts on a good way to carry 2 (at the most) or 3 mountain bikes on the OEM roof rack. I currently have a Yakima setup in the basement, but will not work on the OEM roof rack the way it is now.

Concerns:
- security (awaiting a new full suspension Mtn bike).
- stability/strength
- ease of use.

Does anyone know how many full sized mountain bikes will fit using the OEM crossbars?

Thanks!
I use this and works fine. I use ratchet straps across the front and rear of the bikes from cleat to cleat on on the utilitrac. I also drilled a hole at the base and used t-nuts to bolt the rack to the bed.
BedRack: 4-Bike Rack - Pick-Up Truck Bike Racks

Clint

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback so far! I guess I should have also mentioned that 1 limitation I have is I have a Retrax bed cover, so there is a cannister up by the cab of the truck, which does limit my options. Right now I am leaning towards either the bed mount. I heard Rocky Mounts makes a cleat that fits into the utilitrack. Or a hitch mount model, so I don't have to remove the wheel, but can also easily be used on another vehicle if necessary.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far! I guess I should have also mentioned that 1 limitation I have is I have a Retrax bed cover, so there is a cannister up by the cab of the truck, which does limit my options. Right now I am leaning towards either the bed mount. I heard Rocky Mounts makes a cleat that fits into the utilitrack. Or a hitch mount model, so I don't have to remove the wheel, but can also easily be used on another vehicle if necessary.
They are pricey but excellent racks! The front tire stays on and bikes load easily. Most mountain bikes are hard to mount if they are full suspension as the frames are odd shaped. These racks eliminate that issue.

North Shore Bike Racks

Clint

1 - 9 of 9 Posts