Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Wanted to quickly introduce myself here. I've always been a Volkswagen guy (lowered, tuned, all that), but always respected and loved what a good reliable truck could do, be it on or off road. I've worked as a professional photographer in various capacities for the last 6 years or so, ever since I turned 18. I also grew up racing mountain bikes, something that opened many doors for me, especially racing in college for Appalachian State University. Ultimately my goal has been to start my own business full time as a photographer in the cycling industry in order to combine my two passions. This year I turned 24, quit my full time job as a photographer at an established bike company and founded my own business. Now, most of my work weeks involved days in the mountains, long dirt approach roads to zones we will be shooting in, and the need to carry lots of equipment, food, and water. In my plan I had buying a new (to me) and more capable vehicle a few years down the road, but my recent VW project sh*t the bed and I had to move that goal up to ASAP. I was mostly looking for a clean, low mileage 4wd Frontier, Tacoma, or Ranger. Ultimately, I ended up with the 2wd version you see below when it popped up for sale locally. It's a low mileage (44k) 2013 2WD SV with the 4 cylinder. Not ideal, but it's gorgeous, the price was right and I love it. Planning a few modifications down the road for some better drivability on washboarded dirt roads and some very mild trails. I'm thinking quality tires, nicer coilover suspension w/o lift, and a locking rear diff as well as things like a rooftop tent and the like. I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning more about this platform. Like I said, I'm a VW guy, so this will be a lot of fun to learn about these Nissans. And if you're local (Boulder, Fort Collins, CO area), always up to trade photos of your truck for some lessons on doing repairs / upgrades myself instead of bringing it in to a shop!

If y'all want to follow along with the two wheeled adventures:
You can follow my photography on instagram at @mtjphoto or www.mattjonesphoto.com
or My own personal riding and racing on instagram at @mattyjooones (with three "o"s haha)

Cheers!

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Hand Vehicle

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome Matt. Nice truck!

Back in July 2010 I rode the Continental Divide Trail on a dual sport motorcycle using the Adventure Cycling Association maps. It was epic, and the mountain bicyclists I met gathered my unabashed respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Great truck
1,229 Posts
welcome!! i think that truck will actually work very well for what you describe wanting a truck for. 4x4 is not as important as the internet makes it sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice truck and welcome, great resource here.

hahaha I just took a look at your site because 2 minutes ago I commented on a NSMB photo (they’re killing it lately). They have an editor over there with a very sweet “Overlanding” frontier BTW. PS I use Nikon too, since the film days. Nikon - Nissan - sounds similar is there something to it?!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan for your truck and it should serve you well. My only suggestion is to decide what size tires you will end up with, and regear accordingly when you have the locker installed. Installing larger tires on a V6 is a little more forgiving than a 4-banger.

Very nice pics - I love seeing quality photos, and those are great, especially the first two. I don't do a lot of "creative" photos, so I have to really work to get shots like that. Most of the stuff I photograph for work is not suitable for public viewing.:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice truck and welcome, great resource here.

hahaha I just took a look at your site because 2 minutes ago I commented on a NSMB photo (they’re killing it lately). They have an editor over there with a very sweet “Overlanding” frontier BTW. PS I use Nikon too, since the film days. Nikon - Nissan - sounds similar is there something to it?!
I'll have to check that out! You don't see many Overlanding Frontiers around. I'm actually shooting on a Sony setup these days! Just a little lighter and manageable on long days, but I grew up as a diehard Nikon fan, and if I had lots of money I'd still have one haha.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks great, man!

Down in Durango if you ever find yourself here...Purgatory is a great place to ride amongst the many many other trails.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club.

Lots of mountain bikers on this forum (including myself)

Just curious... what "established bike company" did you work for, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
493 Posts
There's quite a few members on the Front Range. Good-looking truck, in the winter you're going to want to put some weight in the bed maybe put some snows on the back. I've been in the area since, well, before you were born, minus the 5 years in Breck. Man, that makes me feel old. You'll enjoy it, a good place to be when you're young. Buy a gazetteer and learn how to orientate yourself, it's easy. I never rely on electronics or signals, when I'm deep in it. Always take more than you think you need. I'm actually planning my escape from the area, has gotten a little too crowded for this hillbilly. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts