Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I bought my 98 knowing that I would have to rebuild the transmission and track down a vibration. So I get the tranny rebuilt and drive to and from work, 10 miles one way with no issues for about 2 weeks. I take it for a 80 mile drive and over heat the transmission, they didn't check the by-pass valve and no oil was getting to the cooler. I take it back and they repair on warranty. When they are bolting the torque-converter back on they are turning the motor back and forth and the motor locks up. First thing I ask is if he turned the motor backwards and he said yes we do it all the time. I was taught not to turn a motor backwards before I ever worked on a DOHC engine and to never turn a chain driven cam engine backwards because of the chain binding up on the slack side. I have a Chilton's manual for the Frontier and can't find anything on that, I have a Bentley manual for my 95 BMW with DOHC and it says not to rotate backwards. I have a Mini Copper and will check the Bentley manual and see if it states that. Does anybody have a service manual for the Nissan that states not to turn the motor backwards or anyone with experience with this problem. The Chilton manual does say the chains will last the life of the truck. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
You can download chapters of the 98 Frontier factory service manual from NissanHelp.com:

1998 Nissan Frontier Service Manual - Loose Sections - Free with Registration - Nissanhelp.com

In general, it's a bad practice to turn most engines backwards. On the VG engine, it's probably not a big deal as the tensioner is locked down, but, the KA engines have chain tensioners that apply pressure by a small spring combined with oil pressure from the engine. On a KA engine, I wouldn't recommend turning backwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks smj, I joined this morning and will go over the engine manual tonight. I reread my post and didn't finish, they got the motor freed but turns over
"Like it has no compression". Transmission shop sent it to a auto shop and they will look at it Monday. I hope just top chain and not bottom chain [looks like you can work on the top chain without going in to deep].

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Yes, but if one of the chains jumped, my money would be on the lower chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts