Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic oil with stock Nissan filter. I'm sure this is excellent oil but just curious what everyone else uses. 2016 PRO4X. Thanks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I also use Mobil One. I usually use Wix extended service filters.

·
Registered
823 Posts
This question tends to cause a lot of heated discussion. In my opinion, any oil and filter that meets the specification listed by the manufacturer aught to be fine if it's changed on the early-end of the service interval. It's only when you push the boundaries of the service interval that things like cardboard end caps and such in oil filters deteriorate.

I used to use Mobil 1, but switched to Kirkland Signature (made by Warren Distribution, which also blends and sells Super Tech and a lot of other private label brands). I use Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filters.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I stick to Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntec 5w30 synthetic. For some reason Mobil comes in a 4.73L jug instead of 5.0L like everyone else so I avoid it.

Castrol High Mileage (synthetic blend) works really great in my Impreza. Might try it in the Frontier as my intervals are short.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 SV 2WD Auto Trans
73 Posts
I use paraffin based oil! oh wait that was fifty years ago it was 15 cents a quart came in a glass bottle with a tin spout at the Texaco station my Corvair leaked oil terribly but didn't die from cheap oil, final blow was my mom and sister managed to add a quart of motor oil to transmission.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They borrowed the car occasionally and i showed them how to dip the oil before they took off even showed them where to put it, guess they got confused.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Speaking of Corvairs saw one a while back at Rotten Robbie gas station it was cherry, what cracked me up was the personalized plate ( FKNADER ) they got it passed DMV, I know exactly what it means, do you?

·
Registered
2016 Frontier Pro-4x
82 Posts
I generally use Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram filter..but haven’t had any issues with other mainstream synthetic oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CC SV 4x4
35 Posts
I’ve been doing Valvoline high mileage synthetic blend 5w-30 and K&N filter every 3000 miles

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I use whatever fully synthetic 5W30 is on sale at Canadian tire and take that to my mechanic who then uses a Nissan branded filter. Oil gets changed twice a year at about the 5500 km mark. If I too lazy to go to Canadian Tire my mechanic uses the Castrol 5W30 synthetic he keeps on hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Supertech 5W30 Full-synthetic + Nissan oil filter (Purolator Pure One when I don't have a Nissan filter available). 7500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
205 Posts
At least here is the USA, Mobil makes it too easy to buy Mobil 1 with the rebate programs that are almost always running. WallyWorld sells the 5-qt jugs for about the best price in the land, then go to this website, enter the info, send a photo of your receipt, and get some money back. I've got a $20 gift card back on two 5-qt jugs that I paid less than $30 each for.

This current promo expired, but another one will come up, check the Mobil website for current promotions.
2020 Mobil 1™/Mobil Super™ Rebate Program

Promos at individual retailers through this month. Great oil, great prices. And no, I don't work for them.
Rebates & Promotions | Mobil™

Yeah, Nissan couldn't size their oil pan for an even number of quarts (thank you auto makers for making it difficult for DIY'ers), so top off that Mobil jug fill with a half quart of the Walmart house brand synthetic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry I didn't realize I started this thread before. I think this 52 year old Marine is getting senile...Lol.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 Filter just because there is usually a promo; but don't think it really matters that much. Seldom go over 5K though and DIY. Speaking of Corvairs again: had a 64 Monza when I was in high school that leaked oil like a sieve or a Harley take your pick. Saw a couple of nice ones just last week at a vintage race.

14 66 Corvair Mod.JPG
20 Slammed 61 Corvair.JPG

·
Super Moderator
10,508 Posts
This question tends to cause a lot of heated discussion. In my opinion, any oil and filter that meets the specification listed by the manufacturer aught to be fine if it's changed on the early-end of the service interval. It's only when you push the boundaries of the service interval that things like cardboard end caps and such in oil filters deteriorate.

I used to use Mobil 1, but switched to Kirkland Signature (made by Warren Distribution, which also blends and sells Super Tech and a lot of other private label brands). I use Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filters.
I have been eyeing that oil myself, great price for that quantity and have faith in the products Costco sells. I’m now a 30 year member and they’ve never let me down on standing behind their products.

Clint

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I used to use Super-Tech from Walmart. It was good. But Mobil 1 on sale at Canadian Tire, or Castrol, or Penzzol was cheaper. CT rotates so there is always a name brand synthetic on sale at at least 40% off, sometimes 50%.

Reactions: Clint
1 - 20 of 28 Posts