Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, my turbo deisel engine has developed a strong rattle at idle, this goes away at operating speeds but sounds like a lifter going south..........engine has 90,000K

Any ideas?

Ozroder

·
Registered
47 Posts
rattle...

I had this same rattle sound at idle. I got underneath and it seams to be that there are some metal banding holding a heat shield to the exhaust and it rattled at idle. I fixed it by getting some hose clamps and replacing the rusted out bands.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Spartandoc, I will have a look at it at Easter.............Ozroder

·
Registered
40 Posts
Me Too, it started afteri had the new exhaust fitted. thanks

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me Too, it started afteri had the new exhaust fitted. thanks
Hello Orrsum, why you want MT ATZ 4 Ribs bro?

I am running them and got about 45000k now, around 50% tread left.........great sand tyre............drove up, down and around the Vic High Country with zero issues and up and down some of the steepest tracks............but but but, starting to get noisy now.

Ozroder

·
Registered
40 Posts

I am running them and got about 45000k now, around 50% tread left.........great sand tyre............drove up, down and around the Vic High Country with zero issues and up and down some of the steepest tracks............but but but, starting to get noisy now.

Ozroder
i like the look of them and was told that they will stay a bit quieter than the Coopers of similar style, as they wear. i may have been told a furfee tho by the sound of it.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about this a bit and my tyres were much quiter than any of the offroad patterns so maybe your mate was not incorrect, however at 1/2 tread wear they are becoming noisy but no where near as bad as the Extremes I had before them............

If I could afford it, I would run a set of Bridgestone road tyres for city driving then run a set of Pro Comp extremes for offroad...........cause they were the best offroad tyre I have tried to date......

Trying to thank you Spartandoc but forget how to..............anyway, your statement must be correct as I went away for easter wityhout issues on the engine at all...............so please accept many thanks for your help.

Ozroder

·
Registered
47 Posts

Ozroder
Ozroder,

Have you rotated the tyres from front to back at any stage over the 45k? My Cooper ATR's got noisy at around 80,000 after not having them rotated at all. My local bloke showed me what happens to 4wd tyres if not properly rotated. The front tyres get rounded from inside to outside accross the tread because of the steering. It wears the inside and outside tread more than the centre. This makes the noise when eventually you are only driving on the centre part of the tread and the pressure is more concentrated. The rear tyres go almost dead flat accross them as they don't do any turning.

I've rotated then since and now done 110,000 on the coopers. Probably going the Cooper ST's in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Jason

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info JJason, I have been telling everyone I will rotate tyres "soon" but have not got off my bum to do this so will rotate them this weekend........

Have to agree that the rears are dead flat across the tread and the fronts are rounded............

I will swap them diagonal and see what gives this weekend.

Ozroder

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ozroder,

It wears the inside and outside tread more than the centre.

Lower tyre pressure can also cause this. My wife liberty has low profiles and its really hard to tell when their low without checking when she fuels up.

I will swap them diagonal and see what gives this weekend.

Ozroder
great way to do it; i want to do a 5 wheel rotation but the alloy spare i bought off Fleabay is the wrong offset and will only fit the back.

5 tyre rotation.JPG

this is what i was after; after 50k km each tyre will have only done 40k km.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lower tyre pressure can also cause this. My wife liberty has low profiles and its really hard to tell when their low without checking when she fuels up.

Orrsum, You are right about lower tyre pressure wearing the inside and outside. I am pretty good though with maintaining tyre pressures all round at 39lb. Doing 50,000km a year it can save $$$ keeping an eye on those things.

Jase.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'll say cos they dont miss you when it comes to decent tyres.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well i hoped it worked out either way, i imagine you really put your truck to the test when you are off roading. cheers

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I changed out tyres diagonally and your right bro the sound has gone right down again..............so many thanks for that advice JJJason.

Ozroder:goodjob:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts