Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the situation. i got a sweet deal on a 00 4x4, 4 door, with a 3.3. problem is, the motor has a cracked head, among other various problems. my question is will a 00 xterra motor work? i can only find the 4 cyl. from a frontier. i may be able to get my hands on a 99 frontier v6, but i wont know for a couple of weeks. if i can, is this a direct swap? or did nissan change anything from the 99 to 00? sorry guys, i just got into the truck scene. ive been into bikes my whole life, so i pretty much dont know much about them. thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
!998 till 2000 was exactly the same. The X-Terra could work but wait till someone steps in and answers that. Welcome to the club and post some pics of your build. We are picture whores here.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
engine wise, the 3.3L is pretty much unchanged in the Gen 1 trucks (with the exception of the SC version).
Are you planning on parts swap or full engine swap?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks man. i dont pick it up until next saturday. i got it from a guy at work for 1000. im gonna give him some time to get his stuff out of it. im gonna have a buddy of mine check it out. maybe try to rebuild the motor. i just wanted to check these options to.

engine wise, the 3.3L is pretty much unchanged in the Gen 1 trucks (with the exception of the SC version).
Are you planning on parts swap or full engine swap?
whatever is the cheapest route. if its easier to just find a complete motor and drop it in ill go that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it all depends on the price of a rebuild. if i can get a motor with a warranty for around the same price as a rebuild, i think it might be the best route. he doesnt know why it cracked. he said it never ran hot. after looking at the undercarriage, there is alot of sludge buildup on the back of the motor.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
cheapest depends on what price you get your takeout motor at.

If your just looking at a cracked head, get another from a JY for another head. if there is more, consider a JDM motor.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
everything is the same as far as what i've seen other than supercharged engines as mentioned above

·
Registered
443 Posts
my 99 fronty has an engine from a 04 fronty.. very little changes.. i would assume the vg33 should be the same.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. hopefully ill have it runnin in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
no real input, just saying good luck, and looking forward to seeing how it goes, and what option you go with and your experiences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts