Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im picking up a boat next weekend but it doesn't have any brake on the trailer, i figure the weight should be aroud 5500 to 6000 . Im not too sure if the factory brakes can handle it. I have towed about 4500 with no problem in the past.

thanks
dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
Give yourself a LOT of room to slow down and pulse your brakes (apply, release, apply, release) - so the rotors can cool a bit. Drive like you're on ice when it comes to stopping...and use engine braking as much as possible.

You MIGHT be OK. Last thing you want is your brakes to fail and you're coming up on an intersection with a minivan full of kids in front of you. Same with idiot drivers.

Also, with that kind of weight, you should have the weight distributing hitch...

But I've not towed yet with the Frontier, so, I could be totally off base.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Might want to look into brakes and a controller, definitely would be the safest bet and you are bordering on the safe capabilities of our trucks

·
Registered
706 Posts
you'll be unsafe....and illegal. MAny states require trailer brakes on anything over 3500lbs

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What kind of trailer doesn't have brakes with loads in excess of 5k? I agree with the above that I think it is a law they have to be on there if it's capacity is past a certian point.

You might want to look into that before paying for somethin that might have to be retrofitted to be road legal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i think ill its too much for the truck, ill have my friends f250 pull it. It should be fine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even with an F250, I wouldn't tow a near-6k pound trailer with no brakes! Maybe just to move it around a parking lot, but not on any public road over 5mph.

·
Super Moderator
11,059 Posts
Not only is it dangerous, it's not fair to the other drivers and families on the road. If you're unfortunate enough to have an accident with any injuries, I'd wager money you'd possibly face jail time for being recklessly dangerous.
The brakes installed likely would cost less than your insurance deductible and you'd be safer at the same time. A trailer that heavy pushes the truck until it can stop, and if it can't you plow into anything in your way.

Clint

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hmm

Why to do it
Yes the truck can do it, take your time, take it easy, give yourself room, and you'd be ok. We have the 4 disc, take it easy and don't do it over a long distance.
Why not to do it
No, I wouldn't do it because of what people have said if there is an accident or you get pulled over. I don't think you would get pulled over, but if you hit somebody, you could be in deep. I drove my 00 taco like 10 miles one way with 6k on a flatbed and it had rear drum, I didn't go over 40 and the roads allowed that slower speed that I was on and it was just fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That could possibly over exceed the tongue weight as well. Sounds risky. better to not kill anyone. that would put a downer on a day out on the boat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Trailer brakes, wt dist hitch on anything that hvy. Properly equipped the truck can do it...properly equipped. Trailering should be taken seriously as it truly alters your vehicle to a different machine. No way I would tow 6k with ANY truck without trailer brakes at the minimum. People that say, "I went 500 miles and never knew it was back there" scare me to death. I drive like I have racing slicks on a sheet of ice when I tow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Trailer brakes, wt dist hitch on anything that hvy. Properly equipped the truck can do it...properly equipped. Trailering should be taken seriously as it truly alters your vehicle to a different machine. No way I would tow 6k with ANY truck without trailer brakes at the minimum. People that say, "I went 500 miles and never knew it was back there" scare me to death. I drive like I have racing slicks on a sheet of ice when I tow.
Safety is a matter of perspective, some have it, some don't.

As i metnioned earlier, the truck could probably do it, with enough precautions taken into account it might be OK. But then again, I wouldn't recommend it.

Our brakes are squirrly enough on their own, let alone with 5K+ pushing the truck (more than double the weight rolling on the same set of brakes...)

It's also a matter of who else is on the road with you and the terrain. Flat and smooth with no stops, excellent vision, and slower speeds OK, sure. Hilly with lots of traffic and frequent stops and/or high speeds, no.

The other thing is getting it in/out of the slip. That's a lot of extra weight on pulling it out....

Safe >>> sorry

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I have moved about 5000 pounds with my gen 1 without trailer brakes.
Like others have said, you can do it, you can stop it given enough room, and remember, if you crash, even if someone rear ends you, its your fault.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info, i talked to a boat hauler and he would tow it with is f350, no problem with out brakes. If you figure most tow trucks (f350's), pull trucks/cars with without any brake assit. I would not do it with a frontier without trailer brakes. I wish my dump truck was working right i would use that instead. if it can handle 3 yards sand about 7k in the bed, i shouldn't be any issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts