Nissan Frontier Forum banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
702 Posts
Yep. I have the Katanas currently and they are a huge improvement, I drove a Mazda CX-5 for awhile with LED projectors and they were awesome.
So do I, I was a bit concerned when I first installed them because they are so bright. However I walked in front of them when it was really dark out to check if there was any glare... nothing, not a single issue(brights were not even that bad, could actually look at the lights without being blinded). So, extremely clean lighting. My only concern is what a few others have stated with the brights not actually being that bright in comparison. They throw the light further due to them being aimed up, but overall brightness (or light thrown at distance) seems a tad weak, overall one of the best upgrades.

My only wish is that the lights were slightly yellow in color, my eyes strain a bit with that pure white at night (wear glasses). I may end up getting some lamin-x in yellow to compensate for the color(and protect the headlights whilst I'm at it).

·
Registered
718 Posts
So do I, I was a bit concerned when I first installed them because they are so bright. However I walked in front of them when it was really dark out to check if there was any glare... nothing, not a single issue(brights were not even that bad, could actually look at the lights without being blinded). So, extremely clean lighting. My only concern is what a few others have stated with the brights not actually being that bright in comparison. They throw the light further due to them being aimed up, but overall brightness (or light thrown at distance) seems a tad weak, overall one of the best upgrades.

My only wish is that the lights were slightly yellow in color, my eyes strain a bit with that pure white at night (wear glasses). I may end up getting some lamin-x in yellow to compensate for the color(and protect the headlights whilst I'm at it).
I prefer a warmer white as well, like 4500-5000 kelvin.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
129 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen LED bulbs that are a pure white, 4300-5000k. It's always 6000k or so. Which is weird, because they make yellow 2700k bulbs, so it's not like they can't make them in other colors

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
702 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen LED bulbs that are a pure white, 4300-5000k. It's always 6000k or so. Which is weird, because they make yellow 2700k bulbs, so it's not like they can't make them in other colors
I believe the K (known as kelvin?) basically is a designation for the location of the bulb on the color spectrum. Lower K is closer to red, while a higher K value is closer to blue. (correct me if I'm wrong it's been a long time since I looked into that) So a 2700k is always going to be amber in color, while a 8k bulb will have a blueish tint. The Katanas I got are 6500K and it as pure white as I think it can get before starting to look blue (though due to having a blue truck my eyes may not be able to detect the blue in them if it exists).

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can't compare LED bulbs in a halogen based headlight to a LED behind a focused projector, the beam pattern and performance will be superior every time. I know it's hard to swallow spending this kind of money but you really get what you pay for, once you have experience with any kind of custom retrofit you would understand.
This is absolutely correct. Halogen based headlights use a "reflector bowl" in order to attempt an focus the light output from a standard filament bulb. While LED drop-in replacements have come a long way and there may be more lumens over a standard 55w halogen bulb, the reflector bowl that is designed for a halogen bulb will not focus the LED output. You would need a projector to do this. I would even say that a halogen bulb in a projector produces more usable and focused light than an LED in a reflector bowl. There is a lot of confusion out there over "brightness" or lumens versus actual usable light output.

I believe the K (known as kelvin?) basically is a designation for the location of the bulb on the color spectrum. Lower K is closer to red, while a higher K value is closer to blue. (correct me if I'm wrong it's been a long time since I looked into that) So a 2700k is always going to be amber in color, while a 8k bulb will have a blueish tint. The Katanas I got are 6500K and it as pure white as I think it can get before starting to look blue (though due to having a blue truck my eyes may not be able to detect the blue in them if it exists).
That is correct - along the lines of usable light output, as you increase in the Kelvin rating, it actually decreases the amount of light that the human eye can process. Ideally, the best light is going to be around 4300-4500K which is white with a slight yellow hue. LEDs commonly come in 5000K or 6000K which produces a much "whiter" light in appearance, but this is because there is a slight bluish hue to it. All the cool ricers out there run 8000K lights because it looks cool, but they are actually decreasing the amount of usable light the human eye can process at night.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody have the update on these? Haven't heard much. I'm tired of my stock headlights and I drive 20k miles a year, half of that in the dark. However, I'm also a stickler and I refuse to put PnP LED bulbs in the stock housing lol. That being said I'm willing to throw down the money for these especially since they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Still Waiting.....
F*ck it man just give up all hope.. it took like 16/17 years for a company to basically consider making a half-decent set of headlights for this truck (yea I know the headlights were changed up a bit through the refresh) and then now they’re taking forever to roll them out.. great idea.. poor execution.. not waiting any longer.. summer nights are already here, don’t drive past dark much anymore so not even worth the upgrade anymore.. 👎

·
Registered
459 Posts
Recently, replacement LED headlight bulbs have been yielding great results for many, they are affordable and easy to replace (no removal of grill, bumper, etc). So my guess is that probably their price point for complete assemblies, might not convince at all many Frontier owners just looking for better light output, except maybe those looking for a different "updated" look.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
F*ck it man just give up all hope.. it took like 16/17 years for a company to basically consider making a half-decent set of headlights for this truck (yea I know the headlights were changed up a bit through the refresh) and then now they’re taking forever to roll them out.. great idea.. poor execution.. not waiting any longer.. summer nights are already here, don’t drive past dark much anymore so not even worth the upgrade anymore.. 👎
pretty much.... I see on instagram they keep posting NEW HEADLIGHTS RELEASED.... for Dodge & Ford.......

·
Registered
562 Posts
These have been teased as long or longer than the Frontier ones, and they've all been delayed from early estimates.
Let me guess.. “COVID”??

·
Registered
775 Posts
tenor.gif

·
Registered
3,194 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would just love to know what the hold up is, perhaps it would result in a superior product for us.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts