Nissan Frontier Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
You’re all wrong. They use the cheap LED upgrades. When traveling faster than light, there is no worry of blinding oncoming traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
update: I emailed Morimoto to see when these would be available and they said "in the Spring"

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've been silently throwing small jabs at the Instagram account.... saying we are the forgotten Frontier step-children..... sigh LOL

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
i have a hunch.... just a weird hunch.... that they MAY have compared it with the Katana's and realized that their product was close to the same brightness.... so trying to make a product that is justifiable of $800 when there is a led plug n play for $50.... hence why they ALSO said that now they will have BOTH of the projectors on for the low beam... just my .02

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's just a major upgrade over stock as far as looks and performance, you have to compare it to a custom retrofit which ranges from $800 to $1500. This will be plug n play though with no need for ballast or anything which is a huge selling point imo, ive been through a few retrofits with outstanding performance but you have to have a relay harness, ballast, drivers etc sitting in the engine bay. I am OCD with a lot of stuff and would love to have less wiring on the hood, i like the simple OEM type things and for me this would be the closest to it, i am not completely sold on them yet so we will see. Just sucks they said there won't be a pre order discount or any kind of group buy :(

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It's just a major upgrade over stock as far as looks and performance, you have to compare it to a custom retrofit which ranges from $800 to $1500. This will be plug n play though with no need for ballast or anything which is a huge selling point imo, ive been through a few retrofits with outstanding performance but you have to have a relay harness, ballast, drivers etc sitting in the engine bay. I am OCD with a lot of stuff and would love to have less wiring on the hood, i like the simple OEM type things and for me this would be the closest to it, i am not completely sold on them yet so we will see. Just sucks they said there won't be a pre order discount or any kind of group buy :(
Don't forget, (if you live somewhere with snow) that these WON'T produce enough heat to melt the snow off of them! One reason why I'm kinda on the edge of buying a retrofit HID that will produce heat to melt the snow... BUT they aren't DOT approved.... ugh

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's true about HIDs, you need the added components that can clutter up the engine bay. What do you think about the Morimoto bi-LED projectors instead of an HID projector for a retrofit? They still use an LED driver, but it looks like it's much smaller than an HID ballast and it eliminates the need for a relay.

Any word on whether these new headlights will still require an LED driver on each side?

·
Registered
718 Posts
What do you think about the Morimoto bi-LED projectors instead of an HID projector for a retrofit? They still use an LED driver, but it looks like it's much smaller than an HID ballast and it eliminates the need for a relay.
I had asked TheRetrofitSource.com about fitting those in our housings at one point. This was their response: "In those housings it going to be a tight fit next to the turn signal housing, you may need to cut into that a bit. For the shrouds they will certainly need to be modified to clear that as well."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah - they would be correct. I had to trim part of the turn signal housing and the projector shroud when I retrofitted my FX-R with the 3 inch lens in there. However, it did fit. I figured if that beast can fit in there, then the LED projectors certainly would as well.

Of course, with some "minor" modifications.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Don't forget if they do go out... you have to send the whole light in for repair... instead of just changing a bulb....

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's true about HIDs, you need the added components that can clutter up the engine bay. What do you think about the Morimoto bi-LED projectors instead of an HID projector for a retrofit? They still use an LED driver, but it looks like it's much smaller than an HID ballast and it eliminates the need for a relay.

Any word on whether these new headlights will still require an LED driver on each side?
Should be similar to this with just a tap to the fuse box for the DRL -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The older pre-'09 headlamp housings/design allowed for more room where it is needed - and is likely why our current headlamp housing/design has not garnered much aftermarket support.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i have a hunch.... just a weird hunch.... that they MAY have compared it with the Katana's and realized that their product was close to the same brightness.... so trying to make a product that is justifiable of $800 when there is a led plug n play for $50.... hence why they ALSO said that now they will have BOTH of the projectors on for the low beam... just my .02
Yep, I've been wondering the same thing.

After refinishing the OEM headlight lenses to eliminate glare, the performance of some aftermarket LED bulbs may be good enough to not be worth competing against - particularly given the huge difference in price.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can't compare LED bulbs in a halogen based headlight to a LED behind a focused projector, the beam pattern and performance will be superior every time. I know it's hard to swallow spending this kind of money but you really get what you pay for, once you have experience with any kind of custom retrofit you would understand.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can't compare LED bulbs in a halogen based headlight to a LED behind a focused projector, the beam pattern and performance will be superior every time. I know it's hard to swallow spending this kind of money but you really get what you pay for, once you have experience with any kind of custom retrofit you would understand.
Yep. I have the Katanas currently and they are a huge improvement, I drove a Mazda CX-5 for awhile with LED projectors and they were awesome.

Reactions: Zero Six LE
141 - 160 of 190 Posts