Nissan Frontier Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
That's right - ALL plastic lenses. That is a byproduct of current clear plastic technology.
That's not an XB problem.
Not sure why, but some plastic lenses stay clear MUCH longer than others.

One of my relatives had a '95 Maxima with lenses that still looked great 20+ years after they were manufactured - despite having never received any special care. I've noticed the same thing about other Maximas of that vintage, too.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Super Moderator
19,768 Posts

One of my relatives had a '95 Maxima with lenses that still looked great 20+ years after they were manufactured - despite having never received any special care. I've noticed the same thing about other Maximas of that vintage, too.
The taillights on the 2002-2006 Altima seem to stay clear. Maybe they are using the wrong plastic on the headlights because the headligths on those same cars haze terribly.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
For what they cost it would be nice if the Moris came with some kind of film like the xpel. I would have to put some kind of UV protection on it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Xpel headlight film will help prevent yellowing of the lens. I have been using it for years.
I used Lamin-X on my commuter car shortly after I bought it (brand new). After 4 years, the Lamin-X was faded and yellowing. Peeled it off and had brand new factory-fresh headlights underneath.

I just ordered Xpel Ultimate Plus to replace the Lamin-X. I've also tried 3M basic (red letter backing) which sucked. It's not very pliable.

The design of the headlights and how they meet the hood I think is a factor. A relative of mine has a post-refresh 1st-gen Ford Edge (2012ish) and the headlights look brand new, despite being parked outside since new and only receiving Costco car washes once a month or so. I took a closer look and realized that there is a chrome plastic trim piece above each headlight which casts a thin shadow on the top edge of the lens. I think that protects the top edge from sun exposure and peeling.

Conversely, on my Honda, the headlights are like bug-eyes. They have a top surface that is lined up with the flat part of the hood.

One of my relatives has a Mazda Miata ND. Those headlights are recessed in a good 1/4" behind the leading edge of the hood. I'm thinking they'll be looking good for years.

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The design of the headlights and how they meet the hood I think is a factor. A relative of mine has a post-refresh 1st-gen Ford Edge (2012ish) and the headlights look brand new, despite being parked outside since new and only receiving Costco car washes once a month or so. I took a closer look and realized that there is a chrome plastic trim piece above each headlight which casts a thin shadow on the top edge of the lens. I think that protects the top edge from sun exposure and peeling.

Conversely, on my Honda, the headlights are like bug-eyes. They have a top surface that is lined up with the flat part of the hood.

One of my relatives has a Mazda Miata ND. Those headlights are recessed in a good 1/4" behind the leading edge of the hood. I'm thinking they'll be looking good for years.
Time to bring back headlight visors.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I would settle for glass headlights again. I had them on my 1989 and 1992 Nissan Maxima. They never faded or yellowed.
I agree a glass option would be cool, but glass will never be back unfortunately.
polycarbonate = costs less to make, safer in a crash, harder to break

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would settle for glass headlights again. I had them on my 1989 and 1992 Nissan Maxima. They never faded or yellowed.
I had protective film on my 2001 Pathfinder headlights for 12 years and the lenses stayed perfect parked outside in the Southern California sun. I have it on my Frontier‘s headlights currently.

Reactions: D13FrontierLE

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had protective film on my 2001 Pathfinder headlights for 12 years and the lenses stayed perfect parked outside in the Southern California sun. I have it on my Frontier‘s headlights currently.
yup, I've done this for car, truck, motorcycle. Had the industry been limited to glass lens headlights, the vast majority of the swoopy new designs would not have transpired. The polycarb material gave the designers great latitude to morph the headlight more in sync with the lines of the modern cars....with much less overhead cost

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Which film do you use?

·
Registered
604 Posts
i've used LaminX and also 3M products depending on the thickness of the applique and coutours
of the neadlight. In effect, the film is sacrificial 'lens' like tear offs on a dirt bike helmet shield.
MUCH cheaper to replace than the whole shield (or headlight lens)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
Thats what I mean, why pay such a high price on an item that is guaranteed to fade and turn yellowish within a year or two... and its not only that, plastic on these headlights can develop streaks, add to that the factor of moisture getting into the buckets... and they turn into an unwise investment... I know everything has a life expectancy, I just don't see any value for the money on headlights as expensive as these...
Well... you don't have to buy them.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
101 - 120 of 140 Posts