Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
The price has not been announced. We are hoping for 900 at most as that is about the lowest cost of any headlight assemblies from Morimoto but we know they could go much higher. I kinda feel most Frontier owners can't shell out a lot of money for headlights and if they come in over $1k it's gonna be a hard sell, just my two cents.
Yes and no. I'm happy with my truck, so, I'm not spending $40k+ to buy a new truck with better headlights.

Am I going to spend $1500 for headlights? probably not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure where this $900 rumor has started, but no pricing has been released. I likely won't have pricing information for another month or so. I'm GUESSING that the price will be around $800 as that is what all of the other HYBRID headlights are priced at, but it's still too early to tell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for the late update on this. With Black Friday, and then 5 of our warehouse employees having COVID, things have been very busy around here.

We were very short on time, so we weren't able to go too into depth with the testing. Hopefully, I can get my hands on a good set of OEM headlights for more LED bulb testing. But we'll see.

With the Katana bulbs, we ran into fitment issues with the bulb retainer. In the pictures below, the bulb is held in the housing by hand. We tried this on two different trucks and had the same result. I'm assuming you either need to modify the retainer or buy an aftermarket one.

OEM Halogen Low Beam: 120 Max Lux
I've seen a lot of bad headlights, and these are by far one of the worst-performing headlights that I've ever seen. If you still have factory headlights, seriously consider upgrading them to something better. I would not feel safe driving with this at night whatsoever.
Watch this video before you pull the trigger on any LED bulb upgrades.

OEM Halogen High Beams: 240 Max Lux
No surprise that the high beam isn't much better. You can't even tell that much of a difference between the low beams and high beams.

Katana low beam: 500 Max lux
These bulbs are certainly brighter, but with the beam pattern that they cast, I wouldn't personally run them. The beam pattern produces a good amount of glare, which will cause oncoming traffic to flash you. These are hard to beat for the price, I just don't personally like dealing with getting flashed constantly. I'd 100% run these over OEM as a temporary solution though.

Katana High Beam: 810 Max Lux
A huge improvement here over OEM. Same complaint as the low beams though. The beam pattern did improve some, but the hotspot is all over the place which will prevent you from seeing as far. A lot of the light will be aimed far up when it should be right in the middle so it goes further down the road, not up in the trees.

Morimoto Hybrid Housings Low Beam: 710 Max Lux
If you don't know what a good beam pattern looks like, this is it! A perfect cutoff line so you won't blind anyone and a huge increase in brightness over OEM and Katana.

Morimoto Hybrid Housing High Beam: 1590 Max Lux
Even a bigger increase here. Almost twice as bright as the Katana's and a much better beam pattern. Having focused hotspots like this will have the light shine much further down the road where you need it.

A lot of people would rather spend 50 bucks on lights, and I completely get it. But after seeing this for myself, and seeing how terrible the OEM headlights are, these are 1000% worth it. Even if they cost $1000, they'd be worth it in my opinion. Once you have great lighting, you'll never be able to go back to subpar lighting again, and these numbers rival HID retrofit numbers while being fully DOT compliant and with an amazing warranty. Whether you go with a cheap set of LED bulbs, a projector retrofit, or these headlights, anything is better than the factory halogen bulbs.

I'll continue to keep this thread updated with ETAs/pricing/more testing as I'm able to and as the information comes in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure where this $900 rumor has started, but no pricing has been released. I likely won't have pricing information for another month or so. I'm GUESSING that the price will be around $800 as that is what all of the other HYBRID headlights are priced at, but it's still too early to tell.
I read (on Morimoto's Youtube channel video), that these wouldn't cost as much because they are part incandescent and part LED. Specifically, they wrote:
"But for many enthusiasts looking for the best, the XB's were simply too expensive. With the introduction of the new Hybrid version, there is finally an XB that everybody can afford. Using a combination of both LED & Incandescent bulbs (thus, Hybrid) these offer much of the same amazing features that the originals do for those who want to be XB-ballers on a budget."

I like these - but I wouldn't spend anywhere near $800.00 for a pair.

Question for @XDJohnTobias: Are the LED bulbs replaceable if one fails without removing/replacing entire light housing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read (on Morimoto's Youtube channel video), that these wouldn't cost as much because they are part incandescent and part LED. Specifically, they wrote:
"But for many enthusiasts looking for the best, the XB's were simply too expensive. With the introduction of the new Hybrid version, there is finally an XB that everybody can afford. Using a combination of both LED & Incandescent bulbs (thus, Hybrid) these offer much of the same amazing features that the originals do for those who want to be XB-ballers on a budget."

I like these - but I wouldn't spend anywhere near $800.00 for a pair.

Question for @XDJohnTobias: Are the LED bulbs replaceable if one fails without removing/replacing entire light housing?
Yes, The Hybrid line of headlights does cost less due to the incandescent turn signal bulb. The XB line (full LED) ranges from $1,000 to $1,600 depending on the vehicle.

The LED chips in these headlights are built into the headlights, so they are not serviceable. If something fails, the headlight will need to be replaced (5-year warranty). The same thing goes for OEM LED headlights as well. But these have a better warranty than OEM(1-year).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yes, The Hybrid line of headlights does cost less due to the incandescent turn signal bulb. The XB line (full LED) ranges from $1,000 to $1,600 depending on the vehicle.

The LED chips in these headlights are built into the headlights, so they are not serviceable. If something fails, the headlight will need to be replaced (5-year warranty). The same thing goes for OEM LED headlights as well. But these have a better warranty than OEM(1-year).
WIth an OEM LED headlight, you go to the dealer and it's fixed within a day (or less). How does this work with your headlight? Do you advance exchange, or would I have to remove the light, pack it and ship it to you - then you'd send me a replacement (which could take over a week getting there and back)?

Are the incandescent bulbs user replaceable in these headlights? Do these hybrid lights have any cooling fans for the LED's? If not, how do you keep them from overheating?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I surely dont see 750 bucks of improvement in the light pattern over the kantana's, Just for the record I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic since the kantana's have been on, but their so bright and clear I thought for sure I would have been.You are correct in that the OEM frontier lights are not very good, but then if your driving a '61'vw bug with oem 6volt headlights the frontier oem's would seem like laser beams.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
With the Katana bulbs, we ran into fitment issues with the bulb retainer. In the pictures below, the bulb is held in the housing by hand. We tried this on two different trucks and had the same result.
I'm assuming you either need to modify the retainer or buy an aftermarket one.
The only added step with installation was to temporarily pull the black mounting rings off the Katanas in order to slide the OEM headlamp lock rings in place...

These bulbs are certainly brighter, but with the beam pattern that they cast, I wouldn't personally run them. The beam pattern produces a good amount of glare, which will cause oncoming traffic to flash you. These are hard to beat for the price, I just don't personally like dealing with getting flashed constantly. I'd 100% run these over OEM as a temporary solution though.

A huge improvement here over OEM. Same complaint as the low beams though. The beam pattern did improve some, but the hotspot is all over the place which will prevent you from seeing as far. A lot of the light will be aimed far up when it should be right in the middle so it goes further down the road, not up in the trees.
Like @bajasam said, for the record I've also never been flashed by oncoming traffic either since I installed the Katanas... but I didn't just install the LED bulbs and call it a day, I made sure to re-aim them following the factory spec. Doing the re-aim made a significant difference in on-road visibility and non-glaring output for oncoming traffic... so much that whenever someone that asks about the Katanas in the main thread, we generally recommend to re-aim as well to get the best results. (y)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sorry for the late update on this. With Black Friday, and then 5 of our warehouse employees having COVID, things have been very busy around here.

We were very short on time, so we weren't able to go too into depth with the testing. Hopefully, I can get my hands on a good set of OEM headlights for more LED bulb testing. But we'll see.

With the Katana bulbs, we ran into fitment issues with the bulb retainer. In the pictures below, the bulb is held in the housing by hand. We tried this on two different trucks and had the same result. I'm assuming you either need to modify the retainer or buy an aftermarket one.

OEM Halogen Low Beam: 120 Max Lux
I've seen a lot of bad headlights, and these are by far one of the worst-performing headlights that I've ever seen. If you still have factory headlights, seriously consider upgrading them to something better. I would not feel safe driving with this at night whatsoever.
Watch this video before you pull the trigger on any LED bulb upgrades.
View attachment 325642

OEM Halogen High Beams: 240 Max Lux
No surprise that the high beam isn't much better. You can't even tell that much of a difference between the low beams and high beams.
View attachment 325643

View attachment 325638

View attachment 325639

Morimoto Hybrid Housings Low Beam: 710 Max Lux
If you don't know what a good beam pattern looks like, this is it! A perfect cutoff line so you won't blind anyone and a huge increase in brightness over OEM and Katana.
View attachment 325640

Morimoto Hybrid Housing High Beam: 1590 Max Lux
Even a bigger increase here. Almost twice as bright as the Katana's and a much better beam pattern. Having focused hotspots like this will have the light shine much further down the road where you need it.
View attachment 325641

A lot of people would rather spend 50 bucks on lights, and I completely get it. But after seeing this for myself, and seeing how terrible the OEM headlights are, these are 1000% worth it. Even if they cost $1000, they'd be worth it in my opinion. Once you have great lighting, you'll never be able to go back to subpar lighting again, and these numbers rival HID retrofit numbers while being fully DOT compliant and with an amazing warranty. Whether you go with a cheap set of LED bulbs, a projector retrofit, or these headlights, anything is better than the factory halogen bulbs.

I'll continue to keep this thread updated with ETAs/pricing/more testing as I'm able to and as the information comes in.
YESSSSSSSSSSS! THIS!!!! THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!! #TakeMyMoney I want the first pair in CA!! :cool:🤟

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's good to hear that no one is really getting flashed with the Katana's. All that matters is that you can see better without blinding people 😊.

WIth an OEM LED headlight, you go to the dealer and it's fixed within a day (or less). How does this work with your headlight? Do you advance exchange, or would I have to remove the light, pack it and ship it to you - then you'd send me a replacement (which could take over a week getting there and back)?

Are the incandescent bulbs user replaceable in these headlights? Do these hybrid lights have any cooling fans for the LED's? If not, how do you keep them from overheating?
In a perfect world, yes, that how OEM headlights would be warrantied. With the dealerships that I've dealt with, it's rarely that easy. If a Morimoto headlight calls for a warranty, there are two ways of going about receiving a replacement:
1. Send back the faulty headlight. Once it's received a new one will be sent in its place.
2. Pay a deposit to receive a new headlight first. Once the new headlight is installed, the faulty one is sent back. Once received, the deposit is refunded.
I was just looking at the warranty numbers the other day. The headlights have about a 0.5% failure rating FWIW.

Fans are not needed to keep LEDs cool. With a proper heatsink design, you can cool the LEDs and not have any overheating issues.
Here's a projector from one XB headlights for reference.

Yes, the incandescent bulbs are replaceable and can be upgraded to LED if you'd like as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I really like the idea of these XB headlights, the problem I see is that no matter who the manufacturer is and how well you take care of them, ALL plastic lenses will fade at one point...

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (18,000km)
207 Posts
I am pretty liberal throwing my money around, but I have to agree with the other comments that $800 (US), which works out to over $1000 Canadian, is just waaaay beyond my consideration. I have the Katanas as well (put in a few months back) and have never been flashed once either and find the beam pattern pretty tight to be honest...perfect...no, good enough...yes. My only wish is that they also had a daytime running light option...but right now I just throw a little towel over the light sensor....total hack...but it works (as I leave my headlight switch in "Auto" mode all the time).

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
I really like the idea of these XB headlights, the problem I see is that no matter who the manufacturer is and how well you take care of them, ALL plastic lenses will fade at one point...
That's right - ALL plastic lenses. That is a byproduct of current clear plastic technology.
That's not an XB problem.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
Isn't the yellowing a superficial kind of thing...that can be polished off?

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Isn't the yellowing a superficial kind of thing...that can be polished off?
It's UV damage, which is basically unavoidable for any daily driver (unless you only drive at night).

The polish fix for yellow/cloudy lenses is just a stop-gap. When you polish you actually start taking off the outer layer of the OEM UV coating, which gets rid of the surface yellowing but also makes that UV coating thinner. Eventually you end up removing all of the UV coating... and the polishing process to remove the yellowing becomes a monthly thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im about to buy some headlights since my OEM starting to yellow, but I want to see whats out b4 i go OEM.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's right - ALL plastic lenses. That is a byproduct of current clear plastic technology.
That's not an XB problem.
Thats what I mean, why pay such a high price on an item that is guaranteed to fade and turn yellowish within a year or two... and its not only that, plastic on these headlights can develop streaks, add to that the factor of moisture getting into the buckets... and they turn into an unwise investment... I know everything has a life expectancy, I just don't see any value for the money on headlights as expensive as these...

81 - 100 of 140 Posts