Nissan Frontier Forum banner
401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay I figured it out. Yeah the relay is nothing more than than a fancy feature that only allows the low beams to come on with ignition. If you jumper the brown and orange wire together on the relay harness you can bypass the relay completely and everything will function fine.

Reactions: BLtheP

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Okay I figured it out. Yeah the relay is nothing more than than a fancy feature that only allows the low beams to come on with ignition. If you jumper the brown and orange wire together on the relay harness you can bypass the relay completely and everything will function fine.
This is pretty much exactly the conclusion I came to with my limited digging the other night in the dark. Thanks for confirming! No clue why they felt the need to do it this way, honestly I’d rather them follow normal headlight switch operation rather than requiring the key. Nothing else needs the key so makes no sense to me for the low beam to.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
And voila. Simple fix.
Looks great. My only concern is if they try to blame me for the headlights failing later if they do. I think I’m going to hold onto my rusty relay and connector and all the pics I took and a link to this thread to try to prove that I fixed the problem and any problem in the future would have to be related to the other aspects of the headlights, not my work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks great. My only concern is if they try to blame me for the headlights failing later if they do. I think I’m going to hold onto my rusty relay and connector and all the pics I took and a link to this thread to try to prove that I fixed the problem and any problem in the future would have to be related to the other aspects of the headlights, not my work.
Yeah I hope not. I've already documented the damage with Lighting Guru. I'm an electrician and there's no reason this fix would cause them to fail. If anything it would be a shitty LED if they used any.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Yeah I hope not. I've already documented the damage with Lighting Guru. I'm an electrician and there's no reason this fix would cause them to fail. If anything it would be a shitty LED if they used any.
Agreed completely. I’m not an official electrician but I have rewired nearly my entire Jeep with no failures and I have tons of electrical tools to do a good job. I’d try my best to explain that I fixed their poor setup and that I had run it my way however long from now until then. Hopefully it never comes to that anyways. They seem solid besides this big flaw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Opened up the relay. Water pooling inside of it is not bueno. Measured coil resistance and it was a dead short. Relay is toast. Driver side looked similar although it still function when I took it out. I'm sure it was next.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Maybe this was their way of doing "DRLs"?

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Just bypassed on my driver headlight. I wasn’t even having problems with the driver side yet but that relay was every bit as nasty. What a mess, all for a worthless ignition interrupt which does nothing but limit when low beam can actually be on.

Can confirm, works perfectly after the bypass. Key turns on DRL strip only (high/bright mode), parking lamps disable DRL high and kicks it to DRL low and side marker (and parking lamp/signal bulb obviously), low beam on headlight switch turns on low beam, high beam selection turns on high beam and keeps on the low beam since they are BI-LED (high + low beam functionality together on high beam).

Also learned their way of doing BI-LED functionality is by using a diode and splicing low and high beam together. They do it in the wiring before the wires go into the headlight.

I expect no more issues at all unless a component fails, which hopefully never is an issue.
Carabiner Guitar accessory Musical instrument Finger Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Guess I'm kinda glad I didn't jump on these from the start given how much they cost and amount of time it took for them to come out... From the looks of the back it looks like they aren't even adjustable vertically....Sad.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
Guess I'm kinda glad I didn't jump on these from the start given how much they cost and amount of time it took for them to come out... From the looks of the back it looks like they aren't even adjustable vertically....Sad.
They are adjustable. I do agree though that considering the amount of time it took to release them, you’d think obvious flaws like the relay should not be occurring, especially at the price point. Although at least the fix is pretty easy and solves all the problems I know of to date. It seems like they aren’t shipping anymore until the updated version.

·
Registered
730 Posts
you can see the geared adjuster on the left in the photo...similar to the OEM setup

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to zip-tie the relays inside a plastic bag to keep the water out.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to zip-tie the relays inside a plastic bag to keep the water out.
True, but for $1k+ you shouldn't have to :oops:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
you can see the geared adjuster on the left in the photo...similar to the OEM setup
I see the adjuster in your photo, but the pic from back of @BLtheP above looks like the insides are epoxied to the exterior assembly. Granted I don't have any and the oem version adjusts the reflector by tilting it up or down, but with projectors the reflector is just there for cosmetic reasons. Just curious if anyone has even tried to adjust them? Not trying to be combative I'm just trying to figure out how they actually adjust with the back side full of epoxy. Glad you guys found a work-around to the relays!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see the adjuster in your photo, but the pic from back of @BLtheP above looks like the insides are epoxied to the exterior assembly. Granted I don't have any and the oem version adjusts the reflector by tilting it up or down, but with projectors the reflector is just there for cosmetic reasons. Just curious if anyone has even tried to adjust them? Not trying to be combative I'm just trying to figure out how they actually adjust with the back side full of epoxy. Glad you guys found a work-around to the relays!
I've adjusted mine. The adjustment functions just fine. It moves the projector within the housing.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
589 Posts
The wiring goes through the orange potting material in order to get through the housing while remaining weatherproof. The projectors are mounted in a “floating” sort of manner where it will move when you turn the adjuster. Turning the screw will pull the projector in or out to angle it. The only catch is that there is a limit to the adjustable movement, Morimoto warns to not turn it past I think 3 rotations of the adjuster or else you’ll break the assembly. But you shouldn’t need to adjust it that much. The option is for sure there though.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The wiring goes through the orange potting material in order to get through the housing while remaining weatherproof. The projectors are mounted in a “floating” sort of manner where it will move when you turn the adjuster. Turning the screw will pull the projector in or out to angle it. The only catch is that there is a limit to the adjustable movement, Morimoto warns to not turn it past I think 3 rotations of the adjuster or else you’ll break the assembly. But you shouldn’t need to adjust it that much. The option is for sure there though.
Ah. That makes sense. Thx for the clarity!

Reactions: BLtheP
401 - 420 of 460 Posts