Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread about the upcoming Morimoto XB LED Headlight assemblies for the 2009-2020 Nissan Frontier

Morimoto said on FB it was to release this month.
The big concern (for me) is price, estimating $900 which will put it out of range for most of us.
I have the popular Katana LED bulbs which are a very good upgrade and incredible value for the improvement it makes, but I would like a cleaner cutoff and more evenly distributed light if possible.

Just wanted to hear other's thoughts.
Are they worth almost ten times the very good Katana bulb upgrade?
Are they worth double the cost of a DIY projector lens retro fit?
Is it hard or impossible to justify the Morimotos for the $ considering there are other options which are close in performance for a fraction of the price?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not answerable until the product is released and field tested.

Highly unlikely to justify the cost and that it would be proportionally 20x the LED 9007 drop-in.
to be determined​
to be determined​
It would be rare to see the LED output exceed an HID, which I could retrofit myself for about $400. We'll see​

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
< Waiting for the $200 knock-offs on AliExpress

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Is it hard or impossible to justify the Morimotos for the $ considering there are other options which are close in performance for a fraction of the price?
...or maybe wait until the product is out. How do you actually expect anyone to have answers to these questions when literally no one has the product yet?!?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wanted to start a thread about the upcoming Morimoto XB LED Headlight assemblies for the 2009-2020 Nissan Frontier

Morimoto said on FB it was to release this month.
The big concern (for me) is price, estimating $900 which will put it out of range for most of us.
I have the popular Katana LED bulbs which are a very good upgrade and incredible value for the improvement it makes, but I would like a cleaner cutoff and more evenly distributed light if possible.

Just wanted to hear other's thoughts.
As one of the few people who have had hands-on experience with the prototype headlights, I can address some of your questions.

For the price, the Katana bulbs aren't bad. They aren't anywhere close to the best PNP LED bulb out there, but it's hard to beat 50 bucks.

- Are they worth 10x the price of the Katana bulbs?
100% yes. The Morimoto headlights are brighter, have a much better beam pattern, and they give the truck a unique look that you can't get with PNP LED bulbs.
-Are they worth double the cost of a DIY projector lens retrofit?
This is completely opinion based and everyone's answer will be different. Me personally, yes they are worth it. While I've never built a set of Frontier headlights, I've built more headlights than I can count. Going with a good set of HID or LED projectors like the Morimoto MLED 2.0 or the Morimoto Mini D2s 5.0 will be brighter than the Morimoto Hybrid headlights. However, I would personally go with the Morimoto headlights. They're much easier to install, and you don't have to deal with retrofitting a set of headlights. Going with a good retrofit will likely cost more than the estimated price as well.
-Is it hard or impossible to justify the Morimotos for the $ considering there are other options which are close in performance for a fraction of the price?
What other options are out there? As far as I'm aware, the only options are a retrofit, PNP LED/HID upgrades or other headlights that take halogen bulbs. If referring to the latter, they are 10000% worth it. They're brighter, are much better quality, and have a much better warranty as well.

The ETA for these headlights was pushed back to the end of Novemberish, but that's honestly a good thing. Morimoto is making some slight tweaks to make them even better. Both projectors will be on for low beam, which will make it even brighter.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
17 Posts
As one of the few people who have had hands-on experience with the prototype headlights, I can address some of your questions.

For the price, the Katana bulbs aren't bad. They aren't anywhere close to the best PNP LED bulb out there, but it's hard to beat 50 bucks.

- Are they worth 10x the price of the Katana bulbs?
100% yes. The Morimoto headlights are brighter, have a much better beam pattern, and they give the truck a unique look that you can't get with PNP LED bulbs.
-Are they worth double the cost of a DIY projector lens retrofit?
This is completely opinion based and everyone's answer will be different. Me personally, yes they are worth it. While I've never built a set of Frontier headlights, I've built more headlights than I can count. Going with a good set of HID or LED projectors like the Morimoto MLED 2.0 or the Morimoto Mini D2s 5.0 will be brighter than the Morimoto Hybrid headlights. However, I would personally go with the Morimoto headlights. They're much easier to install, and you don't have to deal with retrofitting a set of headlights. Going with a good retrofit will likely cost more than the estimated price as well.
-Is it hard or impossible to justify the Morimotos for the $ considering there are other options which are close in performance for a fraction of the price?
What other options are out there? As far as I'm aware, the only options are a retrofit, PNP LED/HID upgrades or other headlights that take halogen bulbs. If referring to the latter, they are 10000% worth it. They're brighter, are much better quality, and have a much better warranty as well.

The ETA for these headlights was pushed back, but that's honestly a good thing. Morimoto is making some slight tweaks to make them even better. Both projectors will be on for low beam, which will make it even brighter. View attachment 323242 View attachment 323243
Thanks for the update! I just found out that these will be "plug and play" which definitely is a plus.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

I would imagine they would look something like this.... here are the Dodge Ram XB Led headlights..... if they are anything like this.... count me in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 323249
I would imagine they would look something like this.... here are the Dodge Ram XB Led headlights..... if they are anything like this.... count me in!
Here's a wall shot of the prototype. Just keep in mind, these are just that. Prototypes. Once the 2nd projector is also a Bi-LED projector, they'll be even brighter.

(PS, those are the new Ram HD headlights next to the wall)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm happy someone has finally made an aftermarket housing for our 09+ trucks.. I will seriously consider these if the price isn't too crazy and output surpasses my HID projectors I may just have to jump ship n sell them.

·
Premium Member
6,299 Posts
Here's a wall shot of the prototype. Just keep in mind, these are just that. Prototypes. Once the 2nd projector is also a Bi-LED projector, they'll be even brighter.

(PS, those are the new Ram HD headlights next to the wall)
View attachment 323250
OOH..... that's nice. I've got the Katana bulbs in my truck. While an improvement, I'm always reminded of the lack of proper beam pattern when I drive my wife's Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

i'm guessing these would be the brights/High beams

Reactions: Zero Six LE

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,643 Posts
I'm happy someone has finally made an aftermarket housing for our 09+ trucks.. I will seriously consider these if the price isn't too crazy and output surpasses my HID projectors I may just have to jump ship n sell them.
In my humble opinion, if you are interested, you probably need to jump on them not long after they come out. Once Nissan finally gets around to introducing the next mid-sized truck, I fully expect most of the aftermarket for the D40 to dry up. Companies that build 'bespoke' parts like bumpers and skidplates as one-offs for basically each and every order will undoubtedly keep their fixturing and could continue to produce what essentially amounts to piece work as demand calls, but I expect parts like this that will rely on volume to simply disappear when demand drops, and any remaining production of aftermarket headlamps will be like those ubiquitous aftermarket D22 tail lamps, in that they'll be cheap products sold for aesthetic reasons rather than actual performance parts.

Same goes for things like towing mirrors. I expect that if the next Nissan mid-size doesn't use the same door frame and mounting pattern that the towing mirrors will end production.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Thanks for the added info.
Just for transparency, you own or work for a business that sells Morimoto headlamps.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome! I love the idea of all 4 projectors on with low beam. Looking forward to seeing these against he katanas in output, not to mention beam pattern and light color quality.
As far as "plug and play" goes, if I remember correctly, us 2012+ owners will have to remove our terrible one piece plastic bumpers to replace headlights, correct?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Awesome! I love the idea of all 4 projectors on with low beam. Looking forward to seeing these against he katanas in output, not to mention beam pattern and light color quality.
As far as "plug and play" goes, if I remember correctly, us 2012+ owners will have to remove our terrible one piece plastic bumpers to replace headlights, correct?
yup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the added info.
Just for transparency, you own or work for a business that sells Morimoto headlamps.
Yes, I work for Morimoto 😊.

I believe I have a few sets of Katana's laying around. I'll see if I can compare them to these headlights once the second prototype is done.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Yes, I work for Morimoto 😊.
BTW wasn't trying to call you out or anything, hope you didn't take it that way haha (y)

I might be going out on a limb here (LOL j/k) but I think it's easily a foregone conclusion that a decently designed LED headlamp will outperform any halogen housing with an LED fitted in.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
17 Posts
“Plug & play” was in reference to the electrical connection, and not having to perform any comprehensive retrofitting or having to remove the proprietary OEM wiring harness.
But yes, the bumper removal is a task in itself.

Reactions: phatB

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
355 Posts
I think these would solve the weird gap I got when I added the trim from the two piece bumper. If they do then take my money.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts