Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I went with the OEM fog light option on my Hefty fab bumper so I am looking to swap the OEM housings with the Morimoto units. Ive seen a few of you guys running them and found install and initial impression information but next to nothing on longevity. Ive been known to get my truck pretty dirty and I wanna make sure they will hold up to rain, mud, snow, etc. Any input would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I don't have mine anymore (Swapped them out) but from what I remember they're built pretty good, sealed good too... I had them on my truck when I drove through a bunch of river crossings, no sweat.

Reactions: EastCoastSV

·
Registered
660 Posts
I purchased mine in the group buy on here. How ever long ago that was. I've been very happy with them. One of the better things I've done to the truck. They have held up to the Michigan winters nicely. I haven't submerged them in a creek or river crossing though.

As far as fog lights and upgrades go, raine has the ultimate setup. A little pricey but the best setup out there. Those are on the to get list for sure.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have mine anymore (Swapped them out) but from what I remember they're built pretty good, sealed good too... I had them on my truck when I drove through a bunch of river crossings, no sweat.

What made you want to swap them out? And what do you have on your truck now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
What made you want to swap them out? And what do you have on your truck now?
Honestly? First reason was that I was just tired of how they looked - the Morimotos are round but when lit up it's not the entire lamp that shines outward, the light passes through a "T" shaped bezel. Second reason was that a bunch of others already had Morimotos too since we were all part of the discounted group buy, back when there really wasn't another upgrade option for the OEM fogs. Third, I liked how the Rigid lamps on my cousin's rig performed, especially on darker mountain-type roads (which I drive a few times a month).

Don't get me wrong, the Morimotos were definitely an upgrade over OEM Halogen. But I wanted more, so I swapped them out for Rigid Industries D-Series LED Lamps (click to go to my build thread).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly? First reason was that I was just tired of how they looked - the Morimotos are round but when lit up it's not the entire lamp that shines outward, the light passes through a "T" shaped bezel. Second reason was that a bunch of others already had Morimotos too since we were all part of the discounted group buy, back when there really wasn't another upgrade option for the OEM fogs. Third, I liked how the Rigid lamps on my cousin's rig performed, especially on darker mountain-type roads (which I drive a few times a month).

Don't get me wrong, the Morimotos were definitely an upgrade over OEM Halogen. But I wanted more, so I swapped them out for Rigid Industries D-Series LED Lamps (click to go to my build thread).

Man, if I knew Rigid made a street legal option for fog lights I would have got the hefty bumper made for them but mine is set up for OEM lights.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Man, if I knew Rigid made a street legal option for fog lights I would have got the hefty bumper made for them but mine is set up for OEM lights.
Well the Rigid kit comes with a bracket to fit the OEM mounting in the OEM bumper, so it might still work, depending on the design of the bumper

Reactions: EastCoastSV

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I also got the Morimoto lights on the group buy. I run them almost every morning I drive to work. I've been through some pretty thick woods and plenty of mud and water holes with them and now two Minnesota winters. Both work just the same as the day I bought them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my thought, with how far back the lights are mounted in the hefty bumper I feel the Morimoto would be a better option for me. I think more of the beam would make it onto the road without being cut off by the bumper. I could obviously modify the fog light mounts quite a bit to fix that but if the Morimotos are a solid (but not quite as bright as rigid) option I will probably just take that route.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Here is my thought, with how far back the lights are mounted in the hefty bumper I feel the Morimoto would be a better option for me. I think more of the beam would make it onto the road without being cut off by the bumper. I could obviously modify the fog light mounts quite a bit to fix that but if the Morimotos are a solid (but not quite as bright as rigid) option I will probably just take that route.
Based on having both Morimito's and Rigids, I can say that the Rigids will reach a lot farther forward (directly in front of the truck) than the Morimotos, not just because the Rigids are brighter (way brighter), but also because the Rigids seem to have a reflector design that produces a more "straight" focused beam (part of what makes them SAE compliant compared to their full off-road lamps)... which should help the light clear the inset mounting position better IMO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on having both Morimito's and Rigids, I can say that the Rigids will reach a lot farther forward (directly in front of the truck) than the Morimotos, not just because the Rigids are brighter (way brighter), but also because the Rigids seem to have a reflector design that produces a more "straight" focused beam (part of what makes them SAE compliant compared to their full off-road lamps)... which should help the light clear the inset mounting position better IMO.

Do you run your rigids off the OEM fog switch or an aftermarket one?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Do you run your rigids off the OEM fog switch or an aftermarket one?
YES. lol

I can turn them on using the OEM fog switch on the light stalk AND independently using the Xterra Switch I installed in the dash. The wiring to the OEM fog switch is for ease of use and convenience (works like regular fog lamps), the added Xterra switch is if I want to turn the Rigids on by themselves (without the headlamps on) or if I want to keep the Rigids on while using the headlamp high beams + my PIAAs for that all lights on, maximum brightness feeling ::grin::

Reactions: Gunmetal_Pro4x

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES. lol

I can turn them on using the OEM fog switch on the light stalk AND independently using the Xterra Switch I installed in the dash. The wiring to the OEM fog switch is for ease of use and convenience (works like regular fog lamps), the added Xterra switch is if I want to turn the Rigids on by themselves (without the headlamps on) or if I want to keep the Rigids on while using the headlamp high beams + my PIAAs for that all lights on, maximum brightness feeling ::grin::

Interesting, I have a xterra switch mounted but not hooked up to anything yet. Haven’t taken the time to read the write ups on the latching module lol. I’d eventually like to make that switch work my fogs and 30” light bar. I would definitely keep the fogs wired to the OEM switch for on road use. Plus that frees up a switch on my spod for later use.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Latching module sounds complicated but it's so simple compared to manually building a circuit with relays

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latching module sounds complicated but it's so simple compared to manually building a circuit with relays

Yeah I saw that diagram too lol. I wouldn’t consider myself a wiring expert which is why I’ve avoided it for so long.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Yeah I saw that diagram too lol. I wouldn’t consider myself a wiring expert which is why I’ve avoided it for so long.
I was pretty sure I could build the manual circuit, but why bother when there's an easier to use module ::wink::

·
Registered
923 Posts
Been doing some searching, not finding much. I just installed a Hefty front bumper in my '15 CC LB that had the one piece painted front bumper that I trimmed off to fit the Hefty. I had the morimoto foglights that Im trying to swap into the Hefty but it sure doesnt look like its going to work as is. Do I need different brackets or mod something to get them to fit? Hefty did send me two aluminum "L"-shaped brackets but I have no idea what Im supposed to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
'15 SV: I've had my Morimoto fog lights in since 10k miles...and just turned 48K miles on Friday. Was a simple install and no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
202 Posts
'15 SV: I've had my Morimoto fog lights in since 10k miles...and just turned 48K miles on Friday. Was a simple install and no issues whatsoever.
Perfect. I have some NINEO II LED headlight bulbs on the way and figured I'd upgrade the fogs while I am at. Stock Halogen's are a joke.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts