Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my coil springs real soon. Does anyone have any experience with the Moog springs? Also, I see that the 81284 is for 2WD and the 81280 is for 4WD. Is it simply due to them being heavier duty and if so, should they fit on my lifted SE?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think it might just be spring rate difference. Can't say for sure the moogs should lift it a little especially if yours are sagging quite a bit from age also if your 4 or 6cyl I think 4wd was only 6cly. Do you know what they're length difference is, the rate, coil count, spacing, diameter between the o.e and moogs ?.

I know on my old ford I replaced the o.e springs with Moog but they were camper package springs(the spring had two different rates tighter coils at base) now that lifted the front on that. I didnt use the moog when I did the front springs as I went for OME's 2608 on the Frontier. I know before I did the OME's and I have 4wd I thought it sat same height as the other 2wd's I saw

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
My guess is that the spring rate will be the same at around 480 lb/in but the free length of the 4x4 variant will be slightly longer to provide a bit more preload to account for the extra weight.

Unfortunately these Moog springs don't offer any specs for some reason. Typically they show specs like spring rate and free length.

As far as Moog in general, they make the best aftermarket parts period. I would not hesitate for a second to buy a Moog made product. The Moog springs (4Runner model though) are currently the top choice for the Tundra struts btw, many have purchased sets and have been happy with the results.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chris and Sabretooth.
I went ahead and ordered the Moog 8124s. If anything, I'll have to raise my Bilsteins another inch to help bring up my front end some. I am going to be doing the timing chain replacement soon and thought it would be a good time to replace my wore out springs. I think my wife would kill me if I spent the amount that sites charge for the OMEs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry couldn't be more help is that going to be your Easter weekend job

I feel same way sometimes HueyDude I don't know where they come up with prices on some parts make that most of them lol. Luckily snagged them off eBay a while back and just had them sitting till I needed them.
Guessing your running the 5100's as I am I like the ride alot better now both on/off road. I read a lot about coil bucket contact but have not experienced any as of yet and I live off of some crappy dirt really mud roads but haven't done any 4wheeling as of yet.

Are you running a spacer also or just the 5100?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running 3" spacers and the 5100s at 1", but when I did the rear, the AAL added more than expected, so I have about 2.5" of rake,but it's gotten worse with sagging coil springs. It will be another week or two before I do the work due to waiting on parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts