Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm back. Okay im looking to do some mods but cant find any help on what exactly to do. So here it goes. First off the truck is a 05 Frontier Crew cab 4.0 v6 with 209k. The first question is what would be a good choice for muffler replacment? The second is how do i swap from clutch fan to electric? The third being how does replacing factory cats front and rear with high flows affect how the truck runs? Just to add im not really looking for super performance just better running overall. Im getting a cold air and wanna do the fans for sure. My trucks runs about 1k idling thanks to clean throttle body which is also on my list to replace. Any adive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
im glad your concerned with your truck and having it run is well as possible but to be honest with you, in my opinion i wouldnt go changing a whole lot from factory spec.

exhaust- i have an 07 and from rockauto.com i can get a complete cat back exhaust (tail pipe, SS muffler, mid pipe, Y pipe) for a little less than 200 bux, thats if you need more than just a muffler. you can also find some very reasonably priced front and rear cats on that site too. as far as "high flow" goes i honestly dont know how much performance or efficiency you'll gain.

Fan clutch- i replaced mine like 40k ago, for like 60 bux orderd off that previously mentioned site, i gotta ask, why go electric? is there much benefit?

my 2 cents- truck health "DO FLUIDS" everything bumper to bumper, super easy to do the gear oil in the front and rear dif's, trasfer case lube change is done the same way also, pull the plug on your tranny pan and you'll get almost half your tranny fluid out, its not a full change/flush but if you do it every 20k or so it will make a difference (side note, these trucks call for nissan matic j/s/d and whatever else kinda fluid from the manufacture and its ridiculously over priced, i use valvoline MAXX LIFE in both my tranny and transfer case, its about a quarter of the price and says right on the back of the bottle its compatible with all nissan lubes) and obviously your engine oil.
you could also think about installing a catch can to keep the oily crap out of your intake, iv heard guys get 3-5 MPG difference after adding one of those. maybe a coolant flush? definitely new spark plugs as well. clean your mass air flow sensor.

i'm kindof drawing a blank now on what else you could do but im sure you get the jist, the truck was built healthy from the factory and all you gotta do to keep it that way is your basics, no super dooper after market needed.

just and fyi, my 07 has just under 180,xxx on it and ive been wrenchin on it since day one with zero major problems.
hope this helps! or at least gives you another perspective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I looked up more on the cats and most high flows non oem seem to burn out quick. Not sure why? Ill check rockauto and see what they got. Ive read the fan clutch does cause pretty good drag. I think my clutch fan stay on all the time now. I found a dual electric fan kit for $85 from american volt ill be getting. I think the combined Throttle body spacer, mesh removal, and cold air intake will help. I do change my fluids every 3k when possible and i use Castrol GTx high milage. I think all together, atleast the fans and throttle body mods, will give me some extra mpg.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Don't forget that electric fans draw from the battery and the alt has to recharge it. The more the alt works, the more drag it create. I don't know how much of a trade off you'll get for mpg.
Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW
Do you track your mpg now?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and i have thought about that but the drag probably wont be as much. My current mpg is im thinking 15 to 16. Thats from what math i did using milage. Even after doing all these mods i can eek out another 3 to 4 mpg id be happy.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
You do know it will take quite a bit of fabrication to install electric fans?
A lot of it will be constructing a new shroud.
Spal is a well known company as far as electric fans are concerned and I am sure it is of higher quality.
Flex-a-lite is also well know although I have no experience with them.
Amazon sells fans even cheaper than what you quoted.
As for me, I don't think I would trust an $85 dollar fan.
Hope it works out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fan kit is 2 12inch fans. I seen a post in this forum i guy used 2 12inch flex a lites and didnt put the shroud back in. I liked the flex a lites but couldnt find any info on how to wire them to work.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Interesting. My stock shroud did not go back in either.
What do they mount to?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have long ties similar to zip ties that attach it to the radiator

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dunno guy, sounds like alotta fab work for not a whole lotta gain, i get tinkerin' with your truck because thats half the fun, but if you're getting 15-16 mpg i dont think an intake and electric fans are gunna get you 4 more mpg. i think you gotta keep your foot outtof it to be honest, i have a 4x4 crew cab with 6ft bed (heaviest of them all) and i've been calculating my mileage for years and ive gotten 20 mpg religiously during every season, sometimes 20.1 and somtimes 20.9 or more, but never less than 20. mostly impart by my driving habbits (the wife constantly complains i drive like a grandpa) if you pair general maintenance (things like, keeping tire pressure in check, fresh spark plugs, clean air filter, qualitly sythetic oil) with good driving habbits (things like..KEEPN YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT, 70-75mph max!, and using cruise control as often as possible) i think you'll be quite surprised with you're outcome and what that 4.0 ltr is capable of.

keep us/me posted and good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks and im talking about all the mods im doing as a whole. I know that electic fans wont net me 4 mpg alone. And i will be replacing my throttle body because i know its not working right which isnt helping.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I saw a video of installing the fans.
They just used special cable ties that ran through the radiator that secured the fans on the front of the radiator.
Not as efficient as behind the radiator(puller as opposed to pusher).
Heck for $85 bucks, what the heck.
Did I do mine like that? No.
Would I do it that way now that I know a easier and a whole lot cheaper way to do it?
No.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts