Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my girlfriend has a 2000 eclipse with a 2.4 4 cylinder, this past winter her father did a t-belt replacement on it and did a really good job but ever since then the car has been really sluggish, now she don't care but when i drive it i care a lot because for 1 its annoying and 2 is can be a safety hazard. now im guessing the timing is off, how do i check the timing? im not expecting a lot of you all to know this because this is a nissan forum but maybe if i advance it a bit it will be back to normal. also the tranny fluid is kinda dirty ( i know i need to change it soon but money is a concern right now) but i wouldn't imagine a dirty transmission wouldn't cause this. if you can help me thanks! if not don't sweat it i'll look on some mitsubishi forums, just thought i'd ask here first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what your saying it points that your timming is off, you can check the marks on the timming cover or get it cheked by a professional since they are prone to brake TC and bed valves as a result.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
if only you had a 6 bolt... id be able to tell you everything about that damn motor

i loved mine

im not to familiar with the newer 2.4

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah im thinking its the timing. i mean i drove it yesterday and got on it and it felt like it had nothing, before the belt was replaced it felt like a stock 4 cylinder eclipse lol. and 2nd gear in that car falls dead on it face. i guess i'll try to find a way to check the timing, maybe have a buddy help. if the timing is off how do i get it back to stock?

fusionfronty only if it was 1 year older lol thanks though!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I agree with francisomar. I recently did the head gasket and timing belt on my much older '92 Mitsu 1.8L 4G63 SOHC and there are match marks on the crankshaft, camshaft and block.

I'm guessing your engine might be a 4G64 (SOHC), which ought to be fairly straightfoward. These might have a balance shaft (my 1.8L does not), but if that were indexed incorrectly you'd feel noticeable vibration at highway RPMs. You can ID the engine by looking at the various ID plates under the hood. If it is, you might want to look at these sites:

Free Mitsubishi manual: Mitsubishi 4G64 Engine Service Manual.pdf » OnlineFreeEBooks.net « the most imitated free ebook site

Mitsubishi 4G63 & 4G64 Engine | Car Manual Pdf

Good luck to you. My '92 Mitsu is very tired at 233,500 Miles, but the engine burns virtually no oil and is a sweetheart. It will forever remain our favorite vehicle. My wife jokes that our little front wheel drive Mitsu has done more off-pavement running in 17 years than most of the 4x4's we see. <g>

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Well what you are going to want to do is, drive it into a lake. No, but I would have the pros check it, i know that it is a pain to get to b/c I helped take apart my g/f's and it's deep in there

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
in my opinion, maintenance like timing belts are to be done by a professional that does them all the time, with all the proper tools. saves a headache. take it in and have it looked at.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks guys, i'll see what i can do and if i can't figure anything out i'll just take it to a mitsu dealer. roastbeef i agree i wouldn't mess with a t-belt but her dad is the guy that likes to save some money, he is a really good mechanic and works on vehicles on the side but i do think he messed up the timing. i asked her today about the power of her car and she even realized its gotten notoriously sluggish. again thanks all!

oh and fitz thanks for the service manuals they came in handy.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i understand TY, but my philosiphy is; if you try to save money, be sure you know that you are 100% doing it right. i'm not discrediting your girl's father as a mechanic, but it would end up costing much more if he overlooked something during the install and destroyed the internals of the motor. now you have to look at it again, and may even have to take it to the dealer anyways, further consuming your time and money. so what was really saved?
some stuff is worth just paying a pro to do it.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i understand TY, but my philosiphy is; if you try to save money, be sure you know that you are 100% doing it right. i'm not discrediting your girl's father as a mechanic, but it would end up costing much more if he overlooked something during the install and destroyed the internals of the motor. now you have to look at it again, and may even have to take it to the dealer anyways, further consuming your time and money. so what was really saved?
some stuff is worth just paying a pro to do it.
guess you are right but this is probably more then likely the last timing belt this car gets because well its getting old, its her first car, and well in a few years or so might get replaced with something else. yeah hes more of a hot rodder, mainly works on older stuff like chevys and fords. soon as i can get a real good look at the car and see if whether or not i can fix it i'll let you all know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts