Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched everywhere on the internet and forums and cannot find a solution to my problem. I recently bought the 2004 nissan frontier and cannot find a lock for the tailgate. The cylinder is missing and from the back it just has a handle and theres a hole where the lock is suppose to be going to the tailgate. Has anyone ever had this problem?? Can someone help me find a solution?? I ordered the Pop and Lock tailgate for 86 and up but its really 86-2000... and it doesnt fit... has anyone had this problem and can someone help me aside from going to a dealer and paying a huge amount?? Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
I cant really help you, but if you find one could you tell us where you got it?

I guess someone tried to break into my tailgate a few years ago, so my lock is broken and pushed in and doesnt work. I havent cared to much, but it would be nice to fix.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
On our 2k5 our lock went missing one shopping trip..... I learned a hard lesson..... DO not slam the tailgate else you will have to replace the plastic mount for the lock assembly. Ours fell into the bottom of the gate after my wife made a trip to Costco. After pulling the backing off the tailgate and looking the lock cylinder retention broke and allowed the lock cylinder to fall down to the bottom of the tail gate.

I pulled the tailgate and played mouse maze to get it back from the bottom and then used superglue and hot glue to fix it. Since then I haven't had the urge to slam the gate again. So far so good.

Have you pulled the tail gate back side to make sure the retention didn't fail and your lock ended up in the bottom the the tailgate??

I know the 2k5 is considerably different, but I would suspect the same thing happened to you??

·
Registered
740 Posts
Take apart your tailgate, its proabably still in there. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe i should do that.. i wonder if it would be a problem with my bedliner sprayed on?? i do have access to the handle assembly and i see a missing bolt on where the lock should be.. you guys think its possible to fabricate my own locking assembly? can i order just the locking cylinder assembly?? ill check my tailgate first but if its not there i guess ill be screwed...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The tailgate lock on the 1st gens has a lot of problems. You'll probably be better off just going to the dealer. I think the assembly runs about $80.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well instead im just getting a camper shell and i mounted 2 door latches inside the bed.. problem solved guys... guess i dont need a lock after all lol... im very happy but this mod.. now time to install my sound system

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
well instead im just getting a camper shell and i mounted 2 door latches inside the bed.. problem solved guys... guess i dont need a lock after all lol... im very happy but this mod.. now time to install my sound system
It only takes a few seconds to pull the gate and check to see if it is inside by turning it on end?

Congrats on the new CAP! Mod on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well of course without the cap anyone can go in the back of the tailgate and turn those latches to open the gate but with the cap on it will be a PITA for them to get in.. if someone really wants to get in they can just bash the windows but instead of having to pay extra money at a dealership to get a new locking assembly you can go to home depot or lowes and get a few latches for 10 bucks and bam you are set.. so this is a good mod for tonneau covers that have locks on them and toppers :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
i have a new keyset for sale that has the tailgate lock, ign, doors, and air bag lock for sale. lmk..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts