1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I thought about getting that one too, but I also hadn't heard that anybody tried one yet. I just didn't want to chance it so I went with the nismo one. I'm sure it will work on our vq40's, just trusted the brand as much as nismo.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thats pretty cheap(inexpensive) compared to a Nismo one, I'd call them to see if it's for the whole unit or if you have to re-use the housing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just called them up and they said its a direct replacement...... Im ordering it today and hopefully it comes in the day after my appointment for nissan to fix my slip problem.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
it's a pretty simple concept of how it works, it may "stick" (aka quit working) earlier than an OEM or OEM replacement tstat. after working in a dealership i've come to value the quality you usually get (depending on the situation and the part) from the dealership. for instance, brake pads tend to be quieter and either last longer or don't eat rotors compared to aftermarket pads. but at the same time, i would never buy replacement bushings for my front sway bar from a dealership. not only are they more expensive, the poly titan bushings are far superior in function and longevity so why pay more for less?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Years ago I got into a little practice that will help make sure you don't end up overheating your motor because of a bad theremostat.

On most thermostats there is a small steam hole with a weight plug about 1/8". It is usually close to the edge or lip of the thermostat. I just drill 2 more 1/8" weep holes so that even if the thermostat sticks there is enough water getting through that I don't end up cracking a head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is also no real performance improvement for trying to use any alternative thermostat. I'd go with a decent AutoZone or PepBoys brand. Just check that it opens correctly before installing it.

You can do that by putting it is a pan of near boiling water, or by using a lighter on the bi-metal. You just want to see that it opens without sticking and "jumping". If it doesn't open smoothly take it back (a lot of them open but "stick" part way before opening all the way).

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Years ago I got into a little practice that will help make sure you don't end up overheating your motor because of a bad theremostat.

On most thermostats there is a small steam hole with a weight plug about 1/8". It is usually close to the edge or lip of the thermostat. I just drill 2 more 1/8" weep holes so that even if the thermostat sticks there is enough water getting through that I don't end up cracking a head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is also no real performance improvement for trying to use any alternative thermostat. I'd go with a decent AutoZone or PepBoys brand. Just check that it opens correctly before installing it.

You can do that by putting it is a pan of near boiling water, or by using a lighter on the bi-metal. You just want to see that it opens without sticking and "jumping". If it doesn't open smoothly take it back (a lot of them open but "stick" part way before opening all the way).
I honestly haven't checked yet, but I don't think most parts houses carry our thermostat. It's not just the traditional type, it includes the entire housing along with the fittings for two hoses. They might eventually carry them. The other problem with using a parts house thermostat is if you can find one, I'm sure they will be the stock temperature or close to it.
The most reasonable way to get a good thermostat for a reasonable price is to get the standard 350Z one from Nissan. It runs a fair bit cooler than ours and only costs about $20.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.