Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently bought a 99 Frontier, it was backfiring and struggling to drive so i asked a friend to plug it into his machine and see what it says. It said "random Misfire". So to see where it was misfirin at i started unplugging wires from the distributor, and when i would take a plug off of 1, 3, or 5 (the side thats on the passenger side) nothing happened, but when i removed them from 2, 4, or 6 it would about choke the truck down. So what i was wanting to know is why it would be missing on 1, 3, and 5???

By the way, the person who i bought it from says the owner before him had put a new timing belt on it and might have messed up the timing on it but when i look at the camshaft sprockets both look right on the mark.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd replace the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires. Use NGK plugs and wires; they have a set of wires specific for the VG33.

Highly likely this will eliminate the problem; if not you should do it anyway from a maintenance and reliability standpoint.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
If you are comparing the cam sprocket marks to the marks on the rear timing cover to determine if the belt is properly installed, keep in mind that they don't line up exactly. The only way to really tell is to remove the belt and re-install it so that the timing marks on the belt are matched up to their respective cam and crank sprocket timing marks and that the arrow on the belt points to the front of the vehicle.
NissanHelp.com has a downloadable "Engine Control" section of the factory service manual at their site if you need it:

1999 Nissan Frontier Service Manual - Loose Sections - Free with Registration - Nissanhelp.com

·
Registered
306 Posts
For what it's worth, I had this same issue. I replaced the plugs, ignition wires, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned the CAT, cleaned MAF, etc.. etc.. and still had the misfires. I too began yanking out the wires and noticed no engine change on several of them. In the end, there was a lot of gunk built up in the plug wells. The plug wires could seat all the way onto the plugs. I mashed them down by hand, then gave a couple light love-taps with a small hammer and poof... truck ran great.

Obviously replacing everything was still a good idea, regardless of the root cause, but wanted to share this too just in case.

·
Registered
337 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts