Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Frontier 3.3L KC 4X4 MT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2001 3.3L v6. Had a trouble code P0301, thought I narrowed it down to a bad fuel injector in cylinder 1. Checked the ohms resistance in cylinder 1; 36 ohms. From what I've read the range should be 10-14 ohms. Cylinder 3 & 5 were 12.2 ohms. Replaced fuel injector in cylinder 1 with a new one, started it up and it seems to run rougher then before I changed injector. Pulled trouble code PO306. Tested ohm resistance on cylinders 1,3 & 5 just after a test drive and got 14.2 for all 3.

So I went from a misfire in cylinder 1 to a misfire in cylinder 6. Due to the location of the fuel injector for cylinder 6 I have not tested it yet, would need to remove the plenum intake? Any tips or suggestions on what I should try next?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yes, pulling the plenum is a bit of a pain.. On the plenum near where it mounts to the lower manifold, there will be a couple of EGI ground points. Look for a bunch of black wires go to two, 10MM head bolts. I would remove the bolts and use a Scotch pad or light sandpaper to clean up the wire eyelets and contact area on the manifold to make sure you are getting good grounds. I would also look at the distributor: check to make sure the rotor bolt hasn't loosened up or fallen out, check for play in the rotor shaft, look for signs of rust and/or oil (which would indicate a bad shaft bearing and/or seal). Make sure your secondary ignition system is in good shape (plugs, wires, cap/rotor).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try and thank you for the advice, hope it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So quick update. I was able to check ohm resistance to all injectors all reading 12.2 ohms. Cleaned grounds and inspected cap/rotor and wires, confirmed spark to all wires as smj999smj suspected. Drove truck for 20 mins and no code came up when I scanned it. Truck does seem to be running rough and is much more difficult to start after I replaced the injector. Before the injector replacement it started strong on first crank, know it takes 5 -6 cranks before it starts.

Any advice as to why the rough running and hard starting after replacing an bad fuel injector?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I've seen people damage the seal on the injector during installation, which would create a vacuum leak. Did you lubricate the seals before you installed it into the rail? I usually coat the fuel injector "O" rings with Vaseline. It's also possible to get a bad part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts