Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when is the last time anyone near the Minnesotaish area got together? I know we don't have much for trails (though I am sure we could find some) but I am positive with all of these lakes we should be able to find some mud around here...

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I signed up for those forums so I could read the thread and get some information, but awaiting moderator activation...

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, I think scheduling and equipment is going to prevent this sort of trip for me for now. Any idea of some nearby mild trails just to go out and have some fun? I've visited this and trying to find a decent place without much hardware requirements, just a good place to push the truck and find a little mud... It'll probably be a year or so before I get my under-bumper winch and such, and I know Minnesota requires an off-road permit, but above that I'd like to hold off on too many expenditures...

·
Registered
788 Posts
What part of Minnesota? Appleton has a fun little OHV park that's not super technical. It'll give you the chance to flex the truck a little. Also, IIRC, MN residents don't need to buy an ORV pass. I was registered in ND and had to get a pass.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just north of the twin cities. I was looking at Appleton, actually, saw some videos of the ATV course etc. Could've sworn they had the passes up here, 3 year, I think. Maybe I was reading it wrong.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, if double check. Maybe they changed the law, or I'm remembering incorrectly.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
To use the designated ORV trails, yes, you need the sticker. it's good for three years. It's basically the same as getting your sled or jet ski registered with the state. it's just in addition to your on road license plates. If you look on my build thread, there is a quick discussion on it. You just go in to the DMV and ask for "off road registration" for your truck. But, be prepared for them to be confused, so keep asking for that person's boss until you get to the person who knows what you need. It may be more common for you north of the cities, but the DMV in Edina was clueless.

Many of the state forests have unimproved roads you can travel on, but, it is going to be up to you to watch for signage/rules/closures as many are listed as closed to vehicles, or are closed dependent on weather. Most of the state forests list this info on their websites. But, again, it is up to you to know you are on a road that is allowed.

Sadly, I think scheduling and equipment is going to prevent this sort of trip for me for now. Any idea of some nearby mild trails just to go out and have some fun? I've visited this and trying to find a decent place without much hardware requirements, just a good place to push the truck and find a little mud... It'll probably be a year or so before I get my under-bumper winch and such, and I know Minnesota requires an off-road permit, but above that I'd like to hold off on too many expenditures...
I hit the Spider lake trails a month back. My truck only has a spacer lift and 285's and I could have handled nearly all of it. I didn't run the whole thing as I was solo and didn't want to break/stuck with no one to help. I believe MNCarl ran most or all of it and his truck has sliders and better skid plates.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Spider lake trails and the iron range are in Gilbert are the two main areas.
Small world. My Mom was born in Gilbert...and my Grandma lived in Mountain Iron 'back in the day'.
Fun neck-of-the-woods up there.
::smile::

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm from the area as well, near the airport. I'll be up around the Brainerd area early October and was planning to swing by Spider Lake to see what's up there. My 2nd gen is a CCLB with a mild OME lift and 33" tires but otherwise stock, no armor/winch. Oh, and it's a 6-speed which should be ok as long as there's not much for crawling; I've heard it's pretty tame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts