Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are going to Chicago on Memorial Day weekend for our 1 year anniversary. Neither one of us have been so we're looking for stuff to do, places to go, places to eat, etc. One thing at least I want to do is go to Wrigley Field. They are playing there that weekend, already checked. What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Avoid the insane weekend gun violence that goes on there. Remember, ALL lives matter!!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Live about 2 hours East of Chicago.

Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum of Natural History, Adler Planetarium all along Lakeshore Drive...

Six Flags Great America amusement park...

Tons of things to do depending on your interests.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am two hours south.

As I thought of my list, I am realizing that it revolves around food and booze.

Gino's East
Al's Beef

Willis/Sears Tower or Hancock(has a bar on the top)
The Bean
Wrigley Field (even if you can't catch a game) Wrigleyville is a cool place to hang around
Navy Pier

·
Registered
164 Posts
The wife and I are going to Chicago on Memorial Day weekend for our 1 year anniversary. Neither one of us have been so we're looking for stuff to do, places to go, places to eat, etc. One thing at least I want to do is go to Wrigley Field. They are playing there that weekend, already checked. What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance.
Do you know where you are staying?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far! We always like to try new local food places and what about a pizza place as Chicago is known for deep dish right? Are there any rooftop restaurants? Possibly something where you can have a cigar after dinner?

We'll be staying downtown where google maps says River North or Near North Side.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far! We always like to try new local food places and what about a pizza place as Chicago is known for deep dish right? Are there any rooftop restaurants? Possibly something where you can have a cigar after dinner?

We'll be staying downtown where google maps says River North or Near North Side.
Gino's is where you want deep dish.

·
Registered
164 Posts
ah gotcha, i just hadn't looked into yet.
Not sure if you are an Uber user but download the app and use it while you are visiting. It is much easier and usually cheaper than cabs.

Here is the downtown Gino's location, if you go during dinner there can be a line so try and go at odd hours.
162 E Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 266-3337

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if you are an Uber user but download the app and use it while you are visiting. It is much easier and usually cheaper than cabs.

Here is the downtown Gino's location, if you go during dinner there can be a line so try and go at odd hours.
162 E Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 266-3337
good to know. i used uber once before here in lexington and we may try to walk where ever we can. we're driving up there so what's parking like downtown and how expensive can it be? we rented a car a couple years ago when we went to Boston and Cape Cod, parking there was about $10-15/hour no matter where you where in Boston.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Willis Tower is a "must do". Definitely.

The Museum of Science & Industry is great -- you can easily spend 1/2 day to an entire day there. That's where the German U-Boat U-505 is that AndrewVK mentioned. You'll need to take the bus from the Loop area or drive to get there.

And yes, the FOOD! We ate at Giordanos near Union Staion, but you can hardly go wrong with any of the places mentioned in this thread. Have fun!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I only browsed the replies briefly but I didn't see any mention... besides food, what are you looking to do?

I am from the area and still have lots of family that live there. Everything mentioned is great and all, if you are wanting to do "city" stuff. I would add Navy Pier and Brookfield Zoo if they haven't been mentioned already.

But are you an outdoorsy person? Lots to do regarding that. Also, where are you coming from? like what direction? There's some neat things to see along the highways as well. Particularly of note is near St. Louis, the Melvin Price Lock and Dam. The tour is AWESOME, they take you out on top of it, so if you will be passing STL, i would recommend that.

If you like trains, union station is pretty killer.

If you are looking to hit lake Michigan or want to do the outdoors stuff, go to the Indiana dunes national seashore, that's the place on the lake to go.

When I was a kid we used to take the train from our house to union station, then walk to sears tower and the aquarium. Also if you are into that sort of thing. Shedd aquarium is pretty fantastic.

·
Registered
164 Posts
good to know. i used uber once before here in lexington and we may try to walk where ever we can. we're driving up there so what's parking like downtown and how expensive can it be? we rented a car a couple years ago when we went to Boston and Cape Cod, parking there was about $10-15/hour no matter where you where in Boston.
Parking will be ~$25 to $45/day if you self park. I would recommend just leaving the car and taking cabs most places.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Willis Tower is a "must do". Definitely.

The Museum of Science & Industry is great -- you can easily spend 1/2 day to an entire day there. That's where the German U-Boat U-505 is that AndrewVK mentioned. You'll need to take the bus from the Loop area or drive to get there.

And yes, the FOOD! We ate at Giordanos near Union Staion, but you can hardly go wrong with any of the places mentioned in this thread. Have fun!
I did see something about the Museum of Science & Industry and thought it would be interesting, especially with the type of work I do, not so much the wife. Probably the closest thing we have around here is the Louisville Science Center. I went as a kid and from what I've heard recently it's geared most towards kids so was wondering if that museum would be something adults would enjoy as well.

We are definitely wanting to go either to the Willis Tower, which I didn't know until yesterday wasn't the Sears Tower anymore, or the one on top of the John Hancock Tower.

I only browsed the replies briefly but I didn't see any mention... besides food, what are you looking to do?

I am from the area and still have lots of family that live there. Everything mentioned is great and all, if you are wanting to do "city" stuff. I would add Navy Pier and Brookfield Zoo if they haven't been mentioned already.

But are you an outdoorsy person? Lots to do regarding that. Also, where are you coming from? like what direction? There's some neat things to see along the highways as well. Particularly of note is near St. Louis, the Melvin Price Lock and Dam. The tour is AWESOME, they take you out on top of it, so if you will be passing STL, i would recommend that.

If you like trains, union station is pretty killer.

If you are looking to hit lake Michigan or want to do the outdoors stuff, go to the Indiana dunes national seashore, that's the place on the lake to go.

When I was a kid we used to take the train from our house to union station, then walk to sears tower and the aquarium. Also if you are into that sort of thing. Shedd aquarium is pretty fantastic.
We'll be coming from Lexington, KY so St. Louis would be too far out of the way. We do like outdoors stuff like Natural Bridge, I would certainly suggest going there if you all come around Slade, KY. I haven't heard of Indiana Dunes so will keep that in mind as well on our to-do list. With only a few days there I'd like to have a good mix of things to do only in Chicago as well as sightseeing including the landscapes.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
... so was wondering if that museum would be something adults would enjoy as well. ...
Oh yes, adults enjoy it very much. We could have spent an entire day there, but had only the morning to visit.

It'll forever be The Sears Tower to me, but Willis is now the largest Lessee so they negotiated the right to hang their sign out front.

A walk down North Michigan Avenue is always nice too, looking at the upscale stores. There was some sort of misguided protest to block access to stores on North Michigan in December '15, but media interest in the event has probably faded away, so the people involved have likely returned to their warm homes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just realized I hadn't commented back since our trip. Had a great time but as always, never enough time to do everything. We did go to a game at Wrigley, visit the John Hancock Tower, take an architecture boat tour, Michigan Ave., Millennium Park, and go to Lou Malnatti's for pizza. Will be wanting to go back in the future for sure. Oh, and the deep dish in Chicago is completely different from the deep dish around here. Even the Old Chicago pizza is nothing like it is up there. Here are a few shots from the trip:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts