Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I have just under 150,000 miles on my rear brakes, I'm the original owner. Everything is working fine, I just wonder how much I'm going to get out of them. I have replaced all of the hard lines, and all of the rubber. Had one line in rear the rust out, so I just changed them all. Front has had three sets of pads, and new rotors once.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would guess that they are probably getting a bit thin by now. The rear pads are not used as much as the fronts since there is very little weight back there. And the truth is that most of us don't really load our trucks down that much. Personally I would have not let them go beyond 100,000 miles just as my thing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess that they are probably getting a bit thin by now. The rear pads are not used as much as the fronts since there is very little weight back there. And the truth is that most of us don't really load our trucks down that much. Personally I would have not let them go beyond 100,000 miles just as my thing.
I have all new rear brake parts ready to go, drums, hardware, wheel cylinders, got a great deal at Rock Auto, with their discount, and paypall discount. Just haven't got around to doing them. First sign of a noise, I'm on it, just wondering if anyone else has got a lot of miles on the rear brakes. Someone told me that the rear brakes only account for about 10% of the stopping power.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Only 108,000 on my truck so far. Still have the original rear. We have annual state safety inspection in Virginia so I guess I could find out different next month. I replaced everything on the front a while back thinking it had a frozen caliper, but even then, maybe 90k, the pads and rotors still looked good.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I've got 212K on my '98 2WD Frontier, replaced the front pads a few times, rotors were OK so re-used. I have not yet had to replace the rear shoes.

I have replaced the rear shoes on my 1988 Mazda truck once, re-used the drums.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've got 212K on my '98 2WD Frontier, replaced the front pads a few times, rotors were OK so re-used. I have not yet had to replace the rear shoes.

I have replaced the rear shoes on my 1988 Mazda truck once, re-used the drums.
Does your parking brake hold in neutral on a hill?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yes, my parking brake holds very well. My 2 Frontiers and Mazda truck are all 5-speeds, and I NEVER park them in gear, always in neutral with parking brake on.

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Yes, my parking brake holds very well. My 2 Frontiers and Mazda truck are all 5-speeds, and I NEVER park them in gear, always in neutral with parking brake on.
Educate me: is this what is recommended for MT vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Just turned over 200,000 miles and original rear brake show linings are about 50%. My 97 Harbody was about the same at that mileage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Yes, as I said in my first post, I had to change all of the brake lines, because I had one on the rear rust out. When that happened, I was 10 or so miles from the house. I took a bungee cord, pulled the emergency brake release, and locked it in the release mode, and limped it back home using the emergency brake pedal to stop.

Just turned over 200,000 miles and original rear brake show linings are about 50%. My 97 Harbody was about the same at that mileage.
If thats the case, I might have my rear brake repair parts sitting in my shop for quite some time, lol.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

It is for me, as in addition to the 3 MT trucks mentioned previously, I also have a 1970 and a 1971 VW which do NOT have interlock switches on their clutch pedals (not required then).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think a lot of manuals out there have poorly adjusted or not working automatic adjusters/bad parking brake hardware and that's why a lot of people have a habit of putting it in gear

I exclusively use my parking brake at any stop even on flat surface in my manual, rarely ever put it in gear

Out of habit because when I bought the truck the levers and pivot points on the backing plates were frozen in the release position, previous owner must have never used it. Luckily I was able to unseize them by working them back and forth - very hard to find parts, I think you might have to buy new backing plates to replace them

When I did that job I also did my rear brakes and hardware, so now I keep them adjusted to the point where I can use the parking brake on steep inclines to hold the truck yet not get any heat on my rear drums when driving long distances

It reaches max tension at about 3-4 clicks, i got that with a combination of adjusting the cable to take out all the slack so the cable is tight, just until the outside levers start to move... and also adjusting the automatic adjusters until a slight drag is felt

And gobs of copper anti seize on anything that even comes close to moving

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
Fwiw, I've put ALL my MT vehicles in first gear AND set the parking brake every time I've parked since '83. Leaving the trans in 1st gear just feels like supplemental insurance should the parking brake freakishly 'un-set' itself.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think a lot of manuals out there have poorly adjusted or not working automatic adjusters/bad parking brake hardware and that's why a lot of people have a habit of putting it in gear

When I did that job I also did my rear brakes and hardware, so now I keep them adjusted to the point where I can use the parking brake on steep inclines to hold the truck yet not get any heat on my rear drums when driving long distances

It reaches max tension at about 3-4 clicks, i got that with a combination of adjusting the cable to take out all the slack so the cable is tight, just until the outside levers start to move... and also adjusting the automatic adjusters until a slight drag is felt
Agree. Rear brakes need to be in correct adjustment. Sometimes automatic adjusters don't work well, or some like my 2 old VWs have no automatic adjustment, just periodic manual adjustment.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your results may vary but at almost 347,000 miles, I have only changed the rear brakes one time. I am not sure if it needed it then at 150,000 miles. As I said, your results may vary. Have them inspected.

·
Registered
2000 xe king cab ka24de 5 speed
46 Posts
I have 190k with original shoes, parking brake is good and shoes probably over 50% left. Downshifting, and using my brakes only when necessary has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Not now but have had several MT over the years - have always put them in reverse when parking and only used brake on inclines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts