Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of adding the Bilstein 5100's up front for 2" of lift. I was going to do the 2" add a leaf to the rear. My question is: Is this a good combination and will I need new rear shocks? My truck is 2nd gen crew cab 4x4. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i was thinking about something similar was looking into the rancho quick lift shocks,they use factory springs, i hear you get like 2 /2.5 up front,and for the rear some varieable height shackels to level it all out.trying to stay away from spacers.the billestines sound like a good option too.trying to spend the least amount of money on this mod it just for looks.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You shouldl not have to change out the rear shocks. But a better shock will make it ride better

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got the Deaver AAL's (From PRG) and love em'.
Similiar in price as blocks/shackles but more work to install - Worth it tho!
Would like to improve someday to a better front end set up but for now its doing its job. I haul and have towed without any flattening of the leafs as some have reported.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Rear shocks are OK with the deavers, you should replace them in the future, the bilstiens will do what you want in the front, just be aware that you will still have the rake as it will not level the truck. This is a very good setup that you can build upon in the future if you feel you want a bit more without breaking the bank

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have 1.5" blocks in the back and 2" spacers in front and it's not level. I also think it sagged a bit over time and got a little bouncy.

So out with the spacers and I just ordered the adjustable Bilsteins, with the AC light duty coils, so I can get it up to 2.5" and hopefully improve the ride a bit as well. It seems that about 1" difference from front to back is going to give me the look I want, which is completely level.

Just a little info that you might want to reference or compare.

Coils and shocks were about 325 plus shipping, not sure exactly, I also bought a 2" body lift, which all came out to??? I'll get back to you.

550.00 + shipping 620.97

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I've installed shocks before, are the bilsteins just an average install or should I expect some difficulty? Also, how much work is involved in adding the AAL to the rear. I wouldn't think it would be too hard, but I've never done one before.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The adjustable Bilsteins will require you to disassemble your factory coilovers, and reassemble the parts onto the new adjustables, and then reinstall. You will need a spring compressor to do this.

To put in an AAL, you will need to take off the U-bolts, jack up the spring enough to take the center bolt out, reassemble the leaf pack with the AAL (usually discarding the payload spring, but check with directions first) reinstall the center bolt and then the U-bolts and your done.......its a little more work than that, but still not too hard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm about to lift my truck too, I have most of the parts already and the rest are already ordered. I followed this thread and I just got my adjustables in the mail today. Waiting on the coils and rear PRG deavers to get in. Hopefully installing soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts