Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2005 I was in the market to replace my extended cab pick up with a four door truck due to the fact my two boys were older and not getting any smaller. After comparing the current trucks on the market I decided on the Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4X4 with NISMO trim.

A few key features of the truck
-Rear locker
-Fully boxed frame
-Rear disc brakes
-5 channel utili-track system in the bed
-Factory spray-on bedliner
-ABLS (4wheel limited slip)
-storage bens under rear seats
-Flat under belly

This build tread will show how I went from this

to this

Year 2005
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: NISMO
Color: Super Black

Suspension/tires

-ICON 2.5 coilovers
-Automotive Customizers 3-leaf 3" AAL's
-Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
-Performance Accessories 3" body lift
-305/70R16 Toyo Open Country M/T
-American Outlaw Wheels COLT series

Armor

-Shrockworks Sliders
-Shrockworks engine skid
-Shrockworks transmission skid
-Shrockworks transfercase skid
-Black Panther radiator skid
-KMA rear bumper

Drivetrain

-Factory rear locker (M226)
-Titan front diff (M205) with Pathfinder V8 half shafts
-ABLS

Accessories

-Airflow snorkel
-48" hi-lift
-Black Widow utilitrac hi-lift mount
-Home made utilitrac spare tire mount
-Rear tow hook
-Tinted front windows
-Cobra CB
-Replace right rear bed side :oops:
-Trimmed front fenders

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sliders

Do to the wheel base and size of the truck I decided my first addition would be rock sliders from Shrockworks.
Nissan, ShrockWorks

I originally had them powder coated metallic silver that match perfectly with the stock rims.

The tube portion of the sliders helps with side impact protection plus it doubles as a step.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basic lift

After a few outting in the truck and getting high-centered the next purchase was a lift to give the truck a little more hight.

At the time the choices were limited so I went with the basic suspension lift from Automotive Customizers which consist of larger coils and larger shackles.
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=435_437_201_587_98&products_id=3793

The small addition give the vechile better range on the trails.:chowtime:

Pictures and video from Crozet,Va.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skid Plates

The factory skid plates that come with the NISMO trim are thin and do not offer a lot of protection so I have been slowly adding skid plates from shrockworks 4x4 product to where now I have a complete set.

Pictures form shrockworks web site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi-lift mount

09-24-2006 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/where-did-you-mount-your-hi-lift-4630/
I have a 48" hi-lift and wanted to mount it to the Utili-Track system in the bed.
What I did was take the mounts that hi-lift sells, and copyed 2k5nismo idea using some u-bolts that I bought at Home Depot to mount them to the factory sliding cleats. I decided to mount it vertically for easy removal.

The great thing about using the cleats is that I can move my hi-lift mount anywhere in the bed, even the floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
285/75R16 tires

02-03-2007 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/i-finally-got-some-tires-8824/
I bought a set of 5 BFG's KO 285/75R16 from a friend who was doing a SAS on his on his 2005 Xterra. I would have perferred M/T's but the deal he give me I couldn't pass it up.

The front tires did rub the inner wheel well when turning the wheels. I Use a heat gun to form the wheel well took care of the problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Spare tire mount

02-11-2007 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/spare-tire-mount-9177/
Most of my long distance trips I bring my kids. I need to make as much room in the bed as possiable, So I decided to mount the spare tire vertically on the front utility track. Since I only use one mount for the highlift I used the extra one to mount the tire. All I had to do was replace a 2 inch stud with a 5 inch stud.

It has given me alot of room in the bed. The down fall is that I can't see out of the rear window to well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
3" body lift

04-22-2007 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/body-lift-installed-12863/
With the help of a friend, I installed a 3" body lift from Performance Accessories - Body Lifts, Premium Lift Systems, Gap Guards, Shackle Sets, Body Bushings, Skid Plates on my truck. I started about two hour before he got there. Total time it took to install the lift with two guys, hand tools, stoping for lunch and going to the parts store was 10 hours. I figured since the rear bumper needed to be replace and if I screwed up it would not be a big deal so we did move the rear bumper up witch was a pain in the *****. With a longer upper radiator hose and removing the bottom fan shroud the radiator dose not have to be lowered.

Here is pic's of my truck next to my wife stock truck.

If I had to do it again I would have gone with the SLR 5" preformace lift or maybe the 2" body lift.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 leaf AAL leaf pack

After the body lift was installed the flat rear leafs pack and longer shackle were very noticable as you can see if in the pic. below.

I install the mini leaf pack form Automotive Customizers. A multi leaf pack are thinner leaf compared to the single AAL give you more flex and a better ride.

With the removel of the load leaf and longer rear shocks, articulation in the rear was improved.

Pictures from URE, North Carolina

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Steel rims

04-12-2008 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/steel-rims-gen2-30530/
After a fellow Frontier owner rolled his truck, I bought the rims and wheel adapter from him. The rims are Cager soft 8 16x8. With the size of the front calipers and the offset of the rims, wheel adapter are needed. The adapter are 1.5" thick.

The truck does feel heavier do to the weight and off set of the rims. I might switch to a 1.0" adapter to bring the wheel in more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
M205 Front diffetential installed

05-26-2008
THread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/titan-diff-installed-32120/
Many components from the Titan can be installed in the Frontier with little or no modification. One of these components that can be install with no modification is the front differential. The U.S. Frontier comes with M180 diff. The size designation is in name (180.mm). The Titan M205 (205.mm) front differential came out of a Titan 4x4 automatic with the big tow option. This Titan has the same gear ratio as my crew cab Frontier with an automatic, 3.36 gears.

Here are a few pic's of the size difference.

with axles from V8 Pathfinder witch also has the M205 diff, I am able to keep the same track width.
Here is a picture of the size difference of the axles.

Here are two the pictures showing the diff. and axles installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Storage

I have a few different uses for my truck (commuting, camping, wheeling, kids transport, home improvements, bikes, etc..) so I don't keep a lot of equipment inside the cab or bed but I will share were I keep 100% of the times.

I find the storage bins under the rear seats to be really useful. Under the right rear seat in the storage bin I keep a Rear Ratchet socket set, 2 ponchos and 1 tow strap.Under the left rear seat the first aid kit, a makitia 3/8 impact gun and flash light.

Behind the rear passenger seat I keep a portable air compressor, cable puller (come-long), and a compact battery booter pack.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
305/70r16 M/t

04-12-2008 Thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/steel-rims-gen2-30530/
I get some like new tires. The tires I got are Toyo Open Country 305/70R16.
I would have prefer not to get a wider tire but couldn't pass on the deal.

Do to the fact that these tires are wider then my old BFG's I have a little rubbing in the front. I will have to change ether the rims or get a smaller spacer so they don't rub.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ICON 2.5 coilovers

02-19-2009Well, is time for me to upgrade my front suspension set up. I just received my 2.5 ICON coilovers from http://prerunnerparts.com/ Got a great deal on them, only paid $800.:ylsmoke:

These things are huge and a far cry from my old set up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
02-22-2009 I installed the coilovers few days ago. I haven't had a chance to test them out on the trails but there a defiant improvement on road driving. I did have a question about the install but ICON was able to give me an answer the minute I call. I was really impress. No switch broad to go though or waiting for a tech.

Here are the coilovers installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
03-02-2009 This past weekend I had the opportunity to take my truck out and get a feel for the new coilovers and tires. For the most part I am pleased with both. My only concern now is the weight of the new tires and the steel rims. I this point I my going to try and find a set of alloy wheels to my liking.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back up camera

03-15-2009 I have been thinking about adding a camera for years to my truck and finally got one. What took me so long is finding one I like. The DVD replacement head units is nice but I really don't listen to radio a lot so I couldn't justify the cost. Plus I didn't want to look down. I did not want the monitor build in to the rear view mirror because I wanted to be able to use the whole mirror and a good size monitor. Most remote monitor's are only 3.5" which seems a little small to me.

So here is what I am working on.

I remove my sunglasses holder door in the map light assembly and installed a 7" monitor. The size seem perfect. Lager enough to see what maybe behind me at a glance and I am able to view the screen and the mirror at the same time.
I did have to trim some of the plastic on the sides and cut out the latch for the monitor to fit.
The unit comes with a cigerate lighter adaptor so next I will work out the power supply to the back up camera monitor.

03-21-2009
Finish the wiring to the back up camera monitor.
The monitor now turns on with the key on and the camera comes on when I put the vehicle in reverse. I still need to add a switch so I can turn the camera on when every I want it on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Snorkel

05-08-2009 I got the snorkel mount to the fender.

No real issue with the install. I did paint the clap that holds for the head of the snorkel on to the neck so it's not noticeable. I was impress with well it formed to the body of the truck.

The pictures didn't come out that good so I will take some more when a finish the tubing that goes to the air box to the snorkel.

05-09-2009
Here are some detail pictures of the snorkel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts