Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everbody I have a 2004 autamatic 4 cyl with 181000 mile the transmission would not move in reverse and it wound out when moving forward so i had the transmission rebuilt, at the shop when he tried to move the truck the metal timing chain slipped and engine locked up mechianc said no compression and he is taking the head off, He is not charging me to get the truck running. My questin is has any one had a metal timming chian slip a tooth, should i sell it fast when i get it back

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
1998-2004 4-cylinder Frontiers have timing chains; a major reason I chose my 1998 and my 2004.
My 1988 Mazda B2200 (4-cylinder) has a timing belt but that's easier to do than a VG33.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Is there a reason why they use a chain on the 4?
Only the one that designed the engine can answer that, but Nissan has gone back to timing chains on all of their current engines in North America. The last timing belt engines were the VG33E/VG33ER engines used in the 2004 Frontier and Xterra.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Back in the 60's I ran across a couple of situations where timing chains had actually stretched to the point where the engine "jumped time." With modern materials and manufacturing processes I think it would take a lot of wear for this to happen, but who knows....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Back in the 60's I ran across a couple of situations where timing chains had actually stretched to the point where the engine "jumped time." With modern materials and manufacturing processes I think it would take a lot of wear for this to happen, but who knows....
Actually, that still happens on some engines. There are a lot of problems with the GM 3.6L in regards to that where they will stretch and trigger cam/crank sync trouble codes. I've never seen it to a point on a Nissan engine to where it became a problem. There have been a couple of Nissan engines that could have issues with timing chains "jumping time," but they were usually caused by timing chain guide issues, chain tensioners breaking or due to clogged oil channels to oil-fed, chain tensioners. Another example would be the VQ40DE engines where the upper chains cut through the plastic tensioner faces because the chain links were stamped with worn tooling, but they are usually repair before they get to the point of jumping timing....but, not all of them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only the one that designed the engine can answer that, but Nissan has gone back to timing chains on all of their current engines in North America. The last timing belt engines were the VG33E/VG33ER engines used in the 2004 Frontier and Xterra.
I've heard that its because the designer was trying to more torque with the v6 model but idk if that is entirely true

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've got over 266,000 miles on my original timing chain and still runnin like a champ.
245K on my original timing chain and still runnin like a champ (my 1998 Frontier, only like 103K on my 2004 Frontier).

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
kinda wish i had a chain now lol i've had to replace 2 belts over my the course of my 314,000 miles
Well, I'd rather replace a timing belt, twice, on a VG engine than have to do upper timing chains, once, on a VQ engine that has the chains eating through the tensioner faces! At least they corrected the issue, though..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going to change mine at 200k. I know of one going out at 160k on 90s something model and the engine was done for.
Hello Cusser, I've been wondering when you do plan to replace your timing chain? It seems like you are taking a big chance of having it go clunk and that's the end of your engine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
245K on my original timing chain and still runnin like a champ (my 1998 Frontier, only like 103K on my 2004 Frontier).
Hello Cusser, I've been wondering when you do plan to replace your timing chain? It seems like you are taking a big chance of having it go clunk and that's the end of your engine.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Actually, bauertime - I am NOT planning to replace the timing chain on my 1998, even with 245K miles on it. Adding to this decision are several oil leaks, truck's body condition (paint peeling off), and that it's a regular cab. So even though I'd say I am myself experienced enough to try such replacement myself, cannot justify it. Service manual shows an upper timing chain and a lower timing chain. Do you have a quote from a shop or flat-rate hours for such job?

I also have a 2004 4-cylinder, 5-speed Frontier King Cab in pristine condition at 104K miles, and my 1988 Mazda Cab Plus truck with 219K miles (which runs good but smokes for a couple of miles at start-up). At my age, not so sure of rationalizing the repair at a shop, or digging into it myself. would be better than getting or rebuilding the Mazda truck engine - even though the 1998 Frontier does have more power and has better AC than the Mazda. Mrs. Cusser will drive the 1998 Frontier on errands and stuff, but to "go out" much prefers the 2004 Frontier or even the Mazda truck. And her 2005 Yukon will need replacement soon, it's at 220K miles and she tows a horse with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, bauertime - I am NOT planning to replace the timing chain on my 1998, even with 245K miles on it. Adding to this decision are several oil leaks, truck's body condition (paint peeling off), and that it's a regular cab. So even though I'd say I am myself experienced enough to try such replacement myself, cannot justify it. Service manual shows an upper timing chain and a lower timing chain. Do you have a quote from a shop or flat-rate hours for such job?

I also have a 2004 4-cylinder, 5-speed Frontier King Cab in pristine condition at 104K miles, and my 1988 Mazda Cab Plus truck with 219K miles (which runs good but smokes for a couple of miles at start-up). At my age, not so sure of rationalizing the repair at a shop, or digging into it myself. would be better than getting or rebuilding the Mazda truck engine - even though the 1998 Frontier does have more power and has better AC than the Mazda. Mrs. Cusser will drive the 1998 Frontier on errands and stuff, but to "go out" much prefers the 2004 Frontier or even the Mazda truck. And her 2005 Yukon will need replacement soon, it's at 220K miles and she tows a horse with it.
OK thanks, that's what I figured. I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to do it, and by the time I reach 200k I might just sell it while I still can. It took me 14 years to reach 100k and even though it sets outside all the time, it still looks brand new with absolutely no rust. A gas cap is the only thing I've had to replaced other than usual maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everbody I have a 2004 autamatic 4 cyl with 181000 mile the transmission would not move in reverse and it wound out when moving forward so i had the transmission rebuilt, at the shop when he tried to move the truck the metal timing chain slipped and engine locked up mechianc said no compression and he is taking the head off, He is not charging me to get the truck running. My questin is has any one had a metal timming chian slip a tooth, should i sell it fast when i get it back
my 99 with a 2.4 and 240000 miles ran strong right up till the day it quit. when I took oil pan off there was broke pieces of tensioner in it. there is a youtube video of a 99 Altima with the same problem. if I get a replacement engine you can bet I will have the tensioner replaced at 200000 miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts