Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I have a 2017 Pro 4X. It is not lifted and I am on stock wheels and tires. I get a pretty good metal on metal sound out of the front left when I hit a good forest road pothole at speed. Anyone know whats going on here? The bumps stops have obviously been in good use with how clean they are. I poked around and see no obvious contact point and no loose bolts that I can find. However I do see several small chunks of aluminum removed around the inside lip of the front driver side wheel. The passenger wheel has a few paint scrapes in this area as well but no heavy material removal.

Thanks,
John

Drivers wheel inside lip:

And a few fun pics to keep it interesting. I am loving the truck so fan with the exception of a few issues like this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clunk? Thunk? Scrape? Is it happening when you bottom out or top out the suspension? My initial thought is Coil bucket contact when the wheel droops fast and far enough.
I would call it a clunk. Things happen fast, so I'm not sure if it is bottom out or top out. I checked for contact in the spring bucket area and did not see any. Granted it has only happened maybe 5 times since I have owned the truck. Truck only has 3k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
All you will see on the coil bucket is a shiny spot were the lip of the control arm is contacting. You would probably have to be hitting it frequently to have it leave a mark (as I did with the coil spacer lift). I would assume without a coil spacer you really shouldn't be getting the contact, but, going fast enough, who knows.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will check the suspension at full droop and see how close those parts are.

That road is a spur off of NF-6710. Nothing technical, just beautiful land up there. And not a single person out there even on a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got around to jacking up the front left corner and I do not see any contact of the upper a-arm and the spring bucket. There is a good 1/2" of clearance. What I did notice is that the front skid plate is really close to both the frame and the sway bar on either side. I can get those to contact the skid by just whacking the skid with my fist lightly. After playing with the skid, I may have made slightly more clearance as I am now not hearing the sound when driving over curbs. I will find out next time I am in the mountains.

Oh, I also removed the Utilitrac covers, that was not the source of the noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts