Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined to request assistance with a problem. Guess we're overdue. The 2000 Frontier V6 has about 202K on the clock.

·
Registered
358 Posts
sounds like you are already 1/2 way thru the lifespan of that truck..... best of luck for 202k more...
what problem ar you having?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the truck used, already with well over 100K on the clock and drove it for several years. I sold it to my son who has now driven it for several more years. But.... (hangs head in shame)... neither of us ever tended to replacing the timing belt...

So... the other day when it broke, it was ugly. Now, (some $2K later), the truck again runs, but with a rough idle under load and with less than acceptable pickup and performance. My guess is that the timing still isn't quite right.

The shop (who my son picked, not one I would have chosen), now says it's a distributor issue and wants to replace that. I hate to see him keep throwing money at the problem. What else can we check first to determine if it just needs to be "fine tuned" to get the timing right or ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I've seen many at the dealer auctions (both 2.4 and 3.3) with close to 300k or more.

My grandma used to have a 85 hardbody and put around 350k miles on it over the course of 10 years (she was a animal trainer in LA and drove 100's of miles around California daily).In either 95 or 96 it started having some major electrical issues and the family mechanic bought it and re-did all the electrical components and he still uses it for picking up parts..I'm sure he had to rebuild or replace the engine at some point but I'm sure it went a good 400k before anthing needed to be done.

I just bought a 2001 Nissan Frontier SE Desert Runner 3.3.Has around 130k miles.
I need to do some maint. Like the timing belt,water pump,thermostat,plugs,wires and flush out the radiator and transmission. I just want to make sure its running as smooth as possible so it will go at least another 100k for me.

I also am going to lift it and put some nice off-road wheels and tires on it in the near future..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, I am almost to 150k now..no huge issues...minus A/C which is a pain but I'm guessing the next part that could be bad is the evap. box or whatever its called.

But back to the subject of high mileage...I just got a new job where I will be working out of the truck and traveling...which is going to be great thats a dream job to me and I calculate I will be doing over 60k miles a year. I plan on driving this truck until the wheels fall off as long as it doesn't turn into a money pit but I take good care of it. It still looks really good too for the miles. I will keep the forum updated on the high mileage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day all :hi:. I am a Fronty owner. I ordered my khaki Frontier XE V6 CC back in Oct of 2000 in NC, when it arrived it had 305 miles on it. My fronty is still with me here in the East Bay and it currently has 168971.7 miles on it. :fantastic: A friend of mine that is a Pathy freak helped me change the timing belt and rear main seal. I have changed the plugs twice, and do regular oil changes, and it's still in great shape (knock on wood). It's been a major part of our family. My oldest boy will be turning 15 soon and I still don't want him to drive it.
This is a great forum lots if good info and experience here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts