Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm a licensed inspector in NH. Our state does not perform a test drive. Like was mentioned above you should contact the state police and give them a heads up. They may just pay the shop a visit. Sometimes a little scare will straighten them out. Being a licensed inspection station is a privilege that can be revoked.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
So why did you post this? Were you just looking for the mutual admiration society to respond?

And seriously...it bothers YOU that I wouldn't mind if this happened to my truck???

Actually, I didn't say I wouldn't mind if this was done to my truck. I just don't see this as something that would be worth the energy of keeping my undies in a bunch.

I simply offered an alternate approach to what to me seemed to be a pretty minor offense in the big scheme of life.

Some situations may warrant to go in with both barrels blazing. Or ZeroSixes method of a throat punch.

Me, I would just never give them any future business and get on with life. You, of course, are free to pursue any avenue and levels of effort you deem necessary.

Oh. if you decide to go with a throat punch let us know how that works out for you. :)
Because I knew 95% would feel the way I do and give my different avenues to get this straightened out, also it's nice to see how mechanics treat something they don't own and didn't pay for. I thought the 2% like you wouldn't say anything. :kiss:

I'm a licensed inspector in NH. Our state does not perform a test drive. Like was mentioned above you should contact the state police and give them a heads up. They may just pay the shop a visit. Sometimes a little scare will straighten them out. Being a licensed inspection station is a privilege that can be revoked.
Thanks DirtKurt when look into this also :D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Because I knew 95% would feel the way I do and give my different avenues to get this straightened out, also it's nice to see how mechanics treat something they don't own and didn't pay for. I thought the 2% like you wouldn't say anything. :kiss:
What would the remaining 3% do???::smile::

·
Registered
415 Posts
What would the remaining 3% do???::smile::
I looked at all the videos and I personally think the inspector just took it for a joy ride ( and maybe got lunch ). I'm mostly upset that he drove it at all but also, I don't think that was completely an unreasonably hard drive either.
BTW the truck sounds real good.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
I looked at all the videos and I personally think the inspector just took it for a joy ride ( and maybe got lunch ). I'm mostly upset that he drove it at all but also, I don't think that was completely an unreasonably hard drive either.
I watched the videos as well. I wouldn't like it if he drove my truck like that unless I drove it worse than that. I have never had a state safety inspection that involved a test drive. When I did them in states that required them they did them while I waited. There was never any need to do as this person did in checking the turn signals, brakes, throttle response, parking brake, clutch slippage tire grip, speeding through a narrow street and idling. It would probably be better to not have the video because he would have a hard time explaining the extra miles on my truck along with the extra dirty water from driving it. He deserves a double throat punch just for bragging about his 20 minute test drive.::laugh::

·
Registered
415 Posts
I generally drive my vehicles fairly hard although for some reason, I'm babying this frontier. (Not usually like me) Maybe that's why I don't think it was driven too hard. Once again however, I don't think he should have driven it at all. That's what upsets me about it.
Double throat punch? Maybe first one wasn't perfectly executed!
:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
I generally drive my vehicles fairly hard although for some reason, I'm babying this frontier. (Not usually like me) Maybe that's why I don't think it was driven too hard. Once again however, I don't think he should have driven it at all. That's what upsets me about it.
Rapid fire style throat punches. It would be Bruce Lee fast and seem like one to him. ::grin::

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Rapid fire style throat punches. It would be Bruce Lee fast and seem like one to him. ::grin::
You uhhh...really like your throat punches don't you?

I can see it:

Burger King forgets to add extra pickles - THROAT PUNCH!!

Dry Cleaner adds too much starch to the shirts - THROAT PUNCH!!

Cashier at the grocery store rings up normal price for broccoli rather than sale price - THROAT PUNCH!!

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
You uhhh...really like your throat punches don't you?

I can see it:

Burger King forgets to add extra pickles - THROAT PUNCH!!

Dry Cleaner adds too much starch to the shirts - THROAT PUNCH!!

Cashier at the grocery store rings up normal price for broccoli rather than sale price - THROAT PUNCH!!
Throat punching is mainly a Marine thing. It's reserved for well deserving people like the guy in the videos and people that steal valor by impersonating military personnel. The other scenarios you mentioned are worthy of a knife hand but no contact. The exception would be the dry cleaner. A Marine loves heavy starch so they would be commended. :surprise:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I watched most of the videos. Another reason people need to get dash cams for this type of thing.

Not sure if you could do anything about this in court or anything, but basically in general it doesn't show a whole lot of respect for your truck and it would definitely p--s me off.

I don't think its extremely abusive, just unnecessary, disrespectful and unprofessional.

I certainly wouldn't go back there, or you could complain about that particular tech that did your test drive to the manager, and see if they could do anything.
Gonna go a little OT here:

+1 on Dash Cams, I had a Nissan tech totally botch my oil change one day, he forgot to secure the door on my Shrock radiator skid, and upon further inspection i found he didn't tighten the drain plug either, so they sent him to where i pulled over 30 minutes after the oil change and he put everything back together and topped off the oil.

After all that i checked the dashcam footage, he didn't drive the truck abusively or anything, but you can hear him trash talking the truck, and complaining to the other techs about having to work on it, I sent it to a buddy of mine who works in the same dealership. He showed it to his boss and apparently this tech got in some trouble on top of already being in hot water for totally botching the oil change. Needless to say I requested to not have that tech on my next free oil change and they told me he was let go for several similiar incidents, one involving a blown motor :surprise:.

Anyway, I would just find a new shop, maybe you can use that video as leverage for a full refund of the "Inspection", but you're most likely going to have to take the loss and move on.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I drive all my vehicles hard more so on the sports cars. I'd not expect a mechanic to drive anybody's cars or truck like this it's uncalled for and rude. I was told as a mechanic to not put down convertible tops cause you don't know if there's anything wrong with them or we'd have to pay to fix it. same goes for driving a customers truck like a raped ape if you break it you pay for it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
joy rides not approved.

thanks I like the way it sounds a lot ::grin::

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Sorry if its been covered -- what are the specs on your dash cam? I've been kicking around the idea of buying one. Make, model, price, etc.

Also, I'll add that here in Oklahoma, back when we did state safety inspections the only test-drive was from the customer waiting area to the garage bay. Although I'd say for a 'proper' safety inspection a road test should be required, hopefully by a competent and respectable mechanic, but I think we all agree "safety inspections" is just another term for "tax revenue".

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Cam info

Sorry if its been covered -- what are the specs on your dash cam? I've been kicking around the idea of buying one. Make, model, price, etc.

Also, I'll add that here in Oklahoma, back when we did state safety inspections the only test-drive was from the customer waiting area to the garage bay. Although I'd say for a 'proper' safety inspection a road test should be required, hopefully by a competent and respectable mechanic, but I think we all agree "safety inspections" is just another term for "tax revenue".

it's a small one not too expensive but it doesn't have GPS so no speed reading and what not. No screen to set stuff up, you get firm ware online and set it up that way and watch videos on you laptop.

·
Registered
608 Posts

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/anyone-running-dash-cam-81880/ some good info there, I run the G1W, great camera for $60

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Went by another state inspection station today

Found out today they are required to drive it ONE mile. So like down to where he turned around and back to the shop was most likely his normal one mile drive. I'm still pissed, sorry HeavyG.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Not sure if he hit the rev limiter, sounds like he did, but hard to tell. If he did NOT and didn't squeal the tires, I could live with what he did.

I had a kid from Sears who tuned my radio to a rap station , and left it there. Now, that really bothered me. I brought it in with the radio off hoping they'd get the hint I didn't want it touched. (I went there for an alignment on a Sentra.)

41 - 60 of 65 Posts