Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i would be pretty pissed.
I am, but I'll just cry in my beer and google rate them and tell everybody I know to avoid this shop. But it could be just this one mechanic is a POS and the shop in a whole is OK that's why I don't want to trash them by name.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm sure the local TV station has an email. See if they are interested in that last video. He is bragging that he is getting paid to talk to that girl.

Also, damn your inspections are hard! We get a smog and boom, you passed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So I took my Frontier to a local garage for a state safety inspection to re-tag it in Maryland. I felt that it was good to go and should pass with no issues. The only thing he found that was legit was the left tag light was out. Oops I must have missed that. "changed bulb"
The BS
He said the brakes didn't grab or have a good first bite to his liking. All brake items passed per limits are concerned. "I bleed brakes"
He said the parking brake had to be pulled too high to engage the P brake to hold. "I adjusted the cable and the brake shoe position"
REally BS "wanted to sell alignment"
During his test drive he said the vehicle was pulling to the left and would not pass it w/o a alignment.
You can let go of the steering wheel at 70mph and it tracks straight and true and the wife and I felt this was crap so we fought them on it and they said get it aligned here or somewhere else or pay for another state inspection else where.
So I decided to watch my dashcam video to see if the mechanic made any mention of the vehicle pulling or I could see him having to correct steering inputs. Imagine my displeasure as I watched him drive my truck abusively with way too much revving of the engine and burning out with several throttle inputs leaving Wawa "oh a personal errand" and then go talk to some girl for over 5mins all the while leaving my truck running. My MPG went from 17MPG to 15.5MPG during this 20min test drive.

OK so he didn't damage my truck in a way that I can see or prove in court. Do any of you think I have any recourse at this time? Or should I just cry in my beer and never spend any of my money there ever again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFfmGX6los&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyWJOjTl8s&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBzl-or22w&index=1&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA
send a copy of your film to the local TV station... They love to bust people with stuff like that. Also send it to your state office that regulates the official inspection stations... bet they follow up too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It is not only disrepectful but also unprofessional.

State inpectors are licensed by the Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Maryland State Police. You can file a complaint with them and use the videos as evidence of his conduct. With evidence such as this he may lose his license to do state inpections.

To be quite honest what he did in the vids pissed me off greatly and made me wonder what others have done to my vehicles when they are not in my presence.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)

State inpectors are licensed by the Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Maryland State Police. You can file a complaint with them and use the videos as evidence of his conduct. With evidence such as this he may lose his license to do state inpections.

To be quite honest what he did in the vids pissed me off greatly and made me wonder what others have done to my vehicles when they are not in my presence.
Yeah for real, I didn't mention that I transfer this dashcam from the Frontier to the Lotus Elise if I'm driving it "which was getting inspected also", and since they had the one vehicle I didn't put it in the Lotus so I have no Idea how he drove that "during it's inspection" thank GOD or I might really want to punch him in the face or worse. I can't believe it was any less hard. But my Elise is still in one piece so he couldn't do anything to it that I haven't done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would tell the owner (and tell him how you know - I.e., the camera) and then I'd see what he/she says. If he/she gives you grief, I'd file a statement with the BBB, Yelp and maybe a complaint to the state inspection licensing board. It is BS.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
The last time I had my truck serviced (for something that was beyond my skills), I found that my 6-Speed stick knob was spun around 180 Deg., like the mechanic didn't know that you have to push it down to find reverse. Heavens knows what transpired, but I'll bet it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
485 Posts

I agree with BayouM5's post. The BBB, local media, etc have no authority and will probably do nothing. You need to let your state officials know what is going on, I would also send an email and a copy of the video to your state senator and representative. If they get several complaints they will at least investigate and may pull this guy's license.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The BBB, local media, etc have no authority and will probably do nothing.
I've dealt with BBB before and found them very thorough and helpful. The first thing they will probably want to do is arbitrate a solution to your "disagreement" -- maybe money back and apology?

While it's true they have no "authority", this is a business we're talking about. Making money is (likely) thier only goal. Bad press is something most business will do their best to avoid. A $50 or $100 or some value fine is not as big a deal as thousands lost to new business.

My $0.02

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've dealt with BBB before and found them very thorough and helpful. The first thing they will probably want to do is arbitrate a solution to your "disagreement" -- maybe money back and apology?

While it's true they have no "authority", this is a business we're talking about. Making money is (likely) thier only goal. Bad press is something most business will do their best to avoid. A $50 or $100 or some value fine is not as big a deal as thousands lost to new business.

My $0.02
I may have been a little too critical of the BBB, they may be worth a try. I do agree a small fine from some government agency would mean little or nothing to this type of business. But if the state agency responsible for regulating these inspection stations is worth their salt they will investigate complaints and if they get enough of them remove their license, at least I would hope so.

I'm glad that this kind of vehicle inspection system is not used where I live. There seems to be a lot of potential for abuse by unscrupulous operators such as the one the OP used.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My first comment is that I'm surprised that a "test drive" was part of the state inspection. Is that a normal MANDATED part of a state inspection in Maryland? In my state (Virginia) there is no mandated test drive part of our annual inspection.

If a test drive is not a requirement of the state inspection then the mechanic was just using your truck to run a personal errand. If it is a mandated part of the state inspection process I wouldn't personally be bothered if the mechanic stopped to get a snack or something unless he left a mess in my truck.

As far as his "abusing" the truck I can't say I see it the same way. Sure he did have a few strong accelerations and some high rev shifts but it is not like he was doing donuts or jumping over curbs.

Is it really unrealistic for a mechanic doing a proper test drive to run a few strong accelerations and higher rpm shifts? I can see valid reasons for doing so if looking for potential issues but as part of just a state inspection? Again, I'm not in Maryland (close tho!) so I have no idea what comprises a normal annual vehicle inspection.

The fact that he stopped and got out of the truck to chat with someone for a few minutes does no harm to the truck. Sure, it may be unprofessional to do that and some may feel that he is cheating his boss out of some work time but is that really a legitimate concern of yours? How many folks that spend time on this forum or Reddit or Facebook or whatever during their workday are guilty of the same sort of thing?

On the positive side it did seem that he did properly use the turn signals while on the public roadway so that is nice. :)

I don't see how this, based upon your videos, is particularly a newsworthy thing - it all seemed kind of mundane to me - that a local tv station would be interested in.

Of course you can file a complaint with the BBB and Angie's List and spend more time filing complaints with whatever government officials/agencies you deem appropriate and leaving reviews on Yelp and other such sites. Is all that really going to be worth your time and effort? Beats me as I really have no idea what would actually result from all that effort.

If the shop you took it to has a public email address it might be worth a few minutes of your time sending them an email with your concerns and link to the vids on YouTube (if you do that you might want to take a few moments to fill in an actual description of what the videos are of and why you posted them) and see if you get a response (tho it is surprising to see how many small companies never seem to even check/respond to their email).

Personally, if this had been my truck I would just likely not take my truck back to that place and leave it at that.

Most small businesses depend on repeat customers and it seems that in this case they perhaps are not deserving of gaining your repeat business.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
My first comment is that I'm surprised that a "test drive" was part of the state inspection. Is that a normal MANDATED part of a state inspection in Maryland? In my state (Virginia) there is no mandated test drive part of our annual inspection.

If a test drive is not a requirement of the state inspection then the mechanic was just using your truck to run a personal errand. If it is a mandated part of the state inspection process I wouldn't personally be bothered if the mechanic stopped to get a snack or something unless he left a mess in my truck.

As far as his "abusing" the truck I can't say I see it the same way. Sure he did have a few strong accelerations and some high rev shifts but it is not like he was doing donuts or jumping over curbs.

Is it really unrealistic for a mechanic doing a proper test drive to run a few strong accelerations and higher rpm shifts? I can see valid reasons for doing so if looking for potential issues but as part of just a state inspection? Again, I'm not in Maryland (close tho!) so I have no idea what comprises a normal annual vehicle inspection.

The fact that he stopped and got out of the truck to chat with someone for a few minutes does no harm to the truck. Sure, it may be unprofessional to do that and some may feel that he is cheating his boss out of some work time but is that really a legitimate concern of yours? How many folks that spend time on this forum or Reddit or Facebook or whatever during their workday are guilty of the same sort of thing?

On the positive side it did seem that he did properly use the turn signals while on the public roadway so that is nice. :)

I don't see how this, based upon your videos, is particularly a newsworthy thing - it all seemed kind of mundane to me - that a local tv station would be interested in.

Of course you can file a complaint with the BBB and Angie's List and spend more time filing complaints with whatever government officials/agencies you deem appropriate and leaving reviews on Yelp and other such sites. Is all that really going to be worth your time and effort? Beats me as I really have no idea what would actually result from all that effort.

If the shop you took it to has a public email address it might be worth a few minutes of your time sending them an email with your concerns and link to the vids on YouTube (if you do that you might want to take a few moments to fill in an actual description of what the videos are of and why you posted them) and see if you get a response (tho it is surprising to see how many small companies never seem to even check/respond to their email).

Personally, if this had been my truck I would just likely not take my truck back to that place and leave it at that.

Most small businesses depend on repeat customers and it seems that in this case they perhaps are not deserving of gaining your repeat business.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

A throat punch takes less time and can be very effective if properly executed. ::grin::

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
HeavyG I wouldn't have posted this thread If I felt as you see this. I'm actually sort of miffed that you wouldn't mind if this was done to your truck? I believe that sort of driving is very uncalled for in a customers car. I was getting a safety inspection, I still haven't found out if they need to drive it. If I don't complain about throttle issues or pickup there's no reason for him to rev the engine a lot multi times and get on it the way he did leaving Wawa. I never took a customers car down the road to a quicky shop, or left it idling needlessly.

Can I borrow your truck?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
A throat punch takes less time and can be very effective if properly executed. ::grin::
Yeah...but a throat punch (even one perfectly executed) will bring a lot of unwanted blowback.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
Yeah...but a throat punch (even one perfectly executed) will bring a lot of unwanted blowback.
Then you have failed to properly execute. You must be properly positioned to avoid any projectiles. If somebody "abused" my truck I would seriously contemplate executing a throat punch with extreme prejudice. >:D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
HeavyG I wouldn't have posted this thread If I felt as you see this.
So why did you post this? Were you just looking for the mutual admiration society to respond?

And seriously...it bothers YOU that I wouldn't mind if this happened to my truck???

Actually, I didn't say I wouldn't mind if this was done to my truck. I just don't see this as something that would be worth the energy of keeping my undies in a bunch.

I simply offered an alternate approach to what to me seemed to be a pretty minor offense in the big scheme of life.

Some situations may warrant to go in with both barrels blazing. Or ZeroSixes method of a throat punch.

Me, I would just never give them any future business and get on with life. You, of course, are free to pursue any avenue and levels of effort you deem necessary.

Oh. if you decide to go with a throat punch let us know how that works out for you. :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Then you have failed to properly execute. You must be properly positioned to avoid any projectiles. If somebody "abused" my truck I would seriously contemplate executing a throat punch with extreme prejudice. >:D
Blowback in the form of unintended consequences involving handcuffs, bail bondsman, spending $$$$ on a defense attorney for the criminal trial, spending $$$$ on an attorney for the likely civil trial, etc., etc.

My truck is just not special enough to me that I would escalate this incident to that level of response.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
Blowback in the form of unintended consequences involving handcuffs, bail bondsman, spending $$$$ on a defense attorney for the criminal trial, spending $$$$ on an attorney for the likely civil trial, etc., etc.

My truck is just not special enough to me that I would escalate this incident to that level of response.
Those things you mention are all related to improper execution. A proper execution would involve 2 people and it would be their word against yours. My truck is that special to me. Why, because it's mine and I paid for it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Those things you mention are all related to improper execution. A proper execution would involve 2 people and it would be their word against yours. My truck is that special to me. Why, because it's mine and I paid for it.
Ahhh...an after hours ninja assault style of throat punch when only the mechanic was there.

Got it.::wink::

21 - 40 of 65 Posts