Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my Frontier to a local garage for a state safety inspection to re-tag it in Maryland. I felt that it was good to go and should pass with no issues. The only thing he found that was legit was the left tag light was out. Oops I must have missed that. "changed bulb"
The BS
He said the brakes didn't grab or have a good first bite to his liking. All brake items passed per limits are concerned. "I bleed brakes"
He said the parking brake had to be pulled too high to engage the P brake to hold. "I adjusted the cable and the brake shoe position"
REally BS "wanted to sell alignment"
During his test drive he said the vehicle was pulling to the left and would not pass it w/o a alignment.
You can let go of the steering wheel at 70mph and it tracks straight and true and the wife and I felt this was crap so we fought them on it and they said get it aligned here or somewhere else or pay for another state inspection else where.
So I decided to watch my dashcam video to see if the mechanic made any mention of the vehicle pulling or I could see him having to correct steering inputs. Imagine my displeasure as I watched him drive my truck abusively with way too much revving of the engine and burning out with several throttle inputs leaving Wawa "oh a personal errand" and then go talk to some girl for over 5mins all the while leaving my truck running. My MPG went from 17MPG to 15.5MPG during this 20min test drive.

OK so he didn't damage my truck in a way that I can see or prove in court. Do any of you think I have any recourse at this time? Or should I just cry in my beer and never spend any of my money there ever again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFfmGX6los&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyWJOjTl8s&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBzl-or22w&index=1&list=UUcjWj49Bi3VUkFM6YhZmWiA

·
Premium Member
11,952 Posts
I would definitely bring it up to the owner of the shop. See what they are willing to do. But I would just cut your losses and move on to a shop that cares about the vehicles they touch

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I call BS go else were to get it done you can tell he is just test driving it.
You can tell your breaks are fine way he is driving it and the alignment is because he is not really not testing that either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2020 Moderating
3,194 Posts
I watched most of the videos. Another reason people need to get dash cams for this type of thing.

Not sure if you could do anything about this in court or anything, but basically in general it doesn't show a whole lot of respect for your truck and it would definitely p--s me off.

I don't think its extremely abusive, just unnecessary, disrespectful and unprofessional.

I certainly wouldn't go back there, or you could complain about that particular tech that did your test drive to the manager, and see if they could do anything.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Best thing you can do is never go there again and tell anyone and everyone you know to not go there as well. I discovered the shop I was going to was shady. They lost the work on all vehicles the 5 people that live in my house have. I also tell everyone in the neighborhood / area to NOT go there.

More than likely, the owner is just as sketchy.

Take the dinner plate out from under them is all a guy can do.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
tell anyone and everyone you know to not go there
Register BBB Complaint.

You could see if there are any current complaints against them. I think most businesses will try to keep themselves clean on "BBB paper" anyway, but who knows, they may not care.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I watched most of the videos. Another reason people need to get dash cams for this type of thing.

Not sure if you could do anything about this in court or anything, but basically in general it doesn't show a whole lot of respect for your truck and it would definitely p--s me off.

I don't think its extremely abusive, just unnecessary, disrespectful and unprofessional.

I certainly wouldn't go back there, or you could complain about that particular tech that did your test drive to the manager, and see if they could do anything.
Thanks that was my feeling also I might drive my truck like that but I wouldn't do it to someone else car or truck unless they asked me to. What if he made it throw a CODE or really broke something like the driveshaft would he just say it was that way when he went to drive it?

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Register BBB Complaint.

You could see if there are any current complaints against them. I think most businesses will try to keep themselves clean on "BBB paper" anyway, but who knows, they may not care.
good luck there. BBB doesn't have any kind of authority. the shop in question has a decent BBB rating.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Send it to the local media station via email and on all there social media pages.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Google the dealership and see if there are any local online rating services where you can leave feedback. I know I'd want to know about shenanigans like this.

We tried a new Thai restaurant last night...that I would never recommend...making me wish I had researched it first, cuz I really can't imagine anyone liking their food or service.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Maybe its just me but after pulling out of the WaWa he hammered on it pretty hard. I would guess over 3k a couple times. I rarely do that and if i do its because I BOUGHT THE TRUCK.

I would go it and tell them you have this *** hat on camera driving your truck hard (for an inspection). Here is ny i dont believe they have to test drive it, just inspect everything.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would definitely bring it up to the owner of the shop. See what they are willing to do. But I would just cut your losses and move on to a shop that cares about the vehicles they touch
The owner is a old crouchy bass turd that lies about how much HP his TR8 makes by double, don't think he cares.

Maybe its just me but after pulling out of the WaWa he hammered on it pretty hard. I would guess over 3k a couple times. I rarely do that and if i do its because I BOUGHT THE TRUCK.

I would go it and tell them you have this *** hat on camera driving your truck hard (for an inspection). Here is ny i dont believe they have to test drive it, just inspect everything.
Yeah I'd say way over 3k the intake doesn't make that sound until 4500rpm or so and he's just spinning the tires.
Another friend told me that another shop that does his vehicles don't test drive either just pull it in the bay and back out. I need to ask if this is normal or not and you shouldn't drive customer's cars to stores PERIOD.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Google the dealership and see if there are any local online rating services where you can leave feedback. I know I'd want to know about shenanigans like this.

We tried a new Thai restaurant last night...that I would never recommend...making me wish I had researched it first, cuz I really can't imagine anyone liking their food or service.
frontier2112 it's a local garage not a stealership, I don't like either of the two that are in my area. That's why I'm trying to find a decent local garage in my area to do repairs or inspections that are out of my capabilities due to tools I don't have. :frown:

·
2020 Moderating
3,194 Posts
One question, Do you have a really clean dash cam install that can't be easily seen?

On a humorous note, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 6sp fronty, but I think the tech confirmed they are a blast to drive :)

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
On a humorous note, I've never had the pleasure of driving a 6sp fronty, but I think the tech confirmed they are a blast to drive :)
Damn right they are, lol.

He definitely tac'd out first coming from his little rendezvous in the last vid. I'd be pretty pissed too. Like others have already stated, doubt there's much you can do except not go back. I'm no laywer though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One question, Do you have a really clean dash cam install that can't be easily seen?

It's very visible but is very small, and has a red blinking light so you know it's on. I'm not sure what he thought it was?

Oh and it is fun to drive it with the 6spd :D

·
2020 Moderating
3,194 Posts
It's very visible but is very small, and has a red blinking light so you know it's on. I'm not sure what he thought it was?

Oh and is fun to drive it with the 6spd :D

Nice install but definitely not hidden..

yeah I probably would have backed it down a couple of notches if I saw that and I was the tech

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to thread-jack. Good idea on the dash cam. I just got a cam myself, but it's incorporated into the mirror, just gotta get off my butt and install it, haha.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Register BBB Complaint.

I agree with contacting the BBB. I hate stories like this. You might also google the dealership. Some sights that give general info on businesses also let you leave a review. My girlfriend did this on a nightmare motel she stayed at back in the summer. After describing the bugs in the room, rusty brown water in the bathtub, etc. the motel contacted her and offered a full refund if she would remove the review.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts