Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try to keep this simple. I am researching options to improve travel and articulation of the suspension while maintaining my truck's factory height, not lifting. I'm considering the following:

Front:
Stock UCAs
Bils 5100s at stock height with stock coils in the front
or
SPC 2.0 coilovers w/ 600# springs at stock height with swaybar removed

Rear:
Stock leaf pack
Bils 5100s
or
Bils 5125s

I've read Greg's Travel Numbers sticky and it looks like either the 5100s or SPC 2.0's in the front will yield a small, but similar amount of increased travel over stock regardless of which I choose without replacing the UCAs. I've also read removing the swaybar may better the articulation although many recommend moving up to a stiffer spring to help counter the body roll. It seems like most people upgrade their suspension as part of a lift project. I'm curious if anyone has simply attempted to improve travel and articulation while maintaining factory height, as in my case. Which of the above mentioned options sounds better? I'm open to ideas.

I'm looking to keep things cheaper and simpler. Maybe one day when my warranty runs out and it's paid off I'll go for a lift, maybe even a TS, but for now and my current needs, I'd like to just improve performance over stock. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but with all the information on this site (and other sites like vendors) about various suspension add-ons, I would have thought by now someone who has the knowledge, insight and experience would have put together a table reflecting this data.
Since the 2nd Generation Frontier has been running for more than a decade, it would seem beneficial to members (especially newbies like me).
I am still debating on the PRG 2x2AAL Kit or just doing 1.5" / 2.0" spacers up front and OME/MD or OME/HD springs in the rear.
Would be neat to see a table with the most commonly used add-ons on left column, then other columns could include increase in height, ride quality changes, additional weight capacity, articulation +/-, benefits, drawbacks, accelerated component fatigue, etc.

Then again, life isn't easy or perfect...

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Using stock arms will not gain you any travel. After market arms won't increase travel except maybe allowing a bit more droop before coil bucket contact.Not worth the expense.
Changing shock length will not increase travel either unless the stock struts are topping/ bottoming out before full travel is attained.
You can increase travel by going to a wider track. Wheels/spacers will allow this but increase in travel will be minor. Less than an inch.

I have said this many times. People need to understand how suspensions work.Learn the terminology,be able to calculate simple formulas.
For example HD or MD has no meaning without a base line. If you say a straight, none progressive coilovers with a springrate of 600lbs,I know exactly what it is.
To know what springrate you need for your application,you need to know the "wheel rate" and how to get it. Anything less than that is guessing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Using stock arms will not gain you any travel. After market arms won't increase travel except maybe allowing a bit more droop before coil bucket contact.Not worth the expense.
Changing shock length will not increase travel either unless the stock struts are topping/ bottoming out before full travel is attained.
You can increase travel by going to a wider track. Wheels/spacers will allow this but increase in travel will be minor. Less than an inch.

I have said this many times. People need to understand how suspensions work.Learn the terminology,be able to calculate simple formulas.
For example HD or MD has no meaning without a base line. If you say a straight, none progressive coilovers with a springrate of 600lbs,I know exactly what it is.
To know what springrate you need for your application,you need to know the "wheel rate" and how to get it. Anything less than that is guessing.
Well obviously I misinterpreted what I read in the travel numbers sticky when Greg was talking about increase in travel and droop of the various shocks/struts/arms etc. The way I read it, the 5100s and SPC 2.0s would add .200" droop which would equate to an increase in down travel, thus improving over the stock components by adding more travel, albeit slightly. I obviously have some more learning to do. In that case, it looks like the either of the front suspension options I mentioned are only going to provide me possibly better damping, stiffen up the front a bit, and give me the option to lift if I decide to I presume.

It sounds like I may have asked a few dumb questions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your looking to just improve your ride, a set of quality stock replacement coil overs (radflo etc.) would do the trick. The bils would be good for a budget option to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm just looking for improvement, I'm not gonna be doing any rock crawling. When I've read people talking about the aforementioned products, it is almost always associated with a lift of some sort. I was just curious what the performance would be at a stock height setting, if it was even worth the expense.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
No, you did not ask any dumb questions. I hope I did not insinuate you did. I am no means an expert but I will try and answer any question you may have.
Some people require "lift", ground clearance, astetics etc.
Lift is a result of a well designed system.
For example, let's say you went to Titan arms, shocks etc. Now your travel is 10". So if you leave it at stock height, your droop, bump percentages would be off.You generally want 60/40 for pre-running type vehicles,40/60 for rock crawler type.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No you're good. I've worked on a lot of cars (mostly engine work) but I haven't dealt much with suspension so I'm still learning a lot there. I did a torsion twist/shackle lift on my old explorer sport trac and lowered an old eclipse I used to have. That's about the extent of my suspension experience. I understand there is a lot of knowledge in the existing threads and the members here. Just trying to absorb as much information as possible, sometimes I get confused.

Just a side note, I'll leave this little nugget here for anyone who might be interested: I don't know if anyone on here is a fan of the NBA or the OKC Thunder, but I got my hair cut this afternoon while sitting next to Steven Adams. Pretty cool experience.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
No ,not a fan of the Thunder but a huge fan of the OKC 405 on "Street Outlaw"!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No ,not a fan of the Thunder but a huge fan of the OKC 405 on "Street Outlaw"!
Well, if that's the case. I work with a guy who is an equipment operator on one of our construction sites. His son is on the show. He builds some [email protected] cars! He actually helped his son build one of the cars that was on the show. Small world.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Even before "Street Outlaws" I remember the OKC guys on "Pink". Chief was the negotiator.I think Asin was the owner of the car, a Mustang I think. Daddy Dave was the driver. They won.
My friend's all street raced back in the sixties.
Had a blast!
Me,I was into motorcycles and latter drag raced them at the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts