Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did a tranny fluid change, front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluid change (40k miles). The color of the tranny fluid shocked me so much that I went back to the dealership, got more Matic S, and did a 2nd fluid change. I just did the t-case and even though I bought 3 bottles of Matic D, I can only find 2... I think I may have dumped one of the Matic D quarts into the tranny.

How bad is it? Would another change be in order, or do I need to go get it flushed?

The tranny fluid change was a couple weeks ago so I dont have the empty bottles to check. Got about 300 miles on the new fluid.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,346 Posts
Or make a switch altogether.

·
Registered
554 Posts
How bad is it? Would another change be in order, or do I need to go get it flushed?
I wouldn't sweat it personally. Heck, Valvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for Matic D, J, K, S, and W. That probably means that it meets the requirements of the newest version (W?) and is backwards-compatible. Matic D probably doesn't meet some spec of S, but as @bajasam mentioned, one quart won't hurt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just called the dealership and they recommended "drain and fill as soon as possible", but also want me to bring it in for a full diagnostic. When I asked if it needed a flush, they then recommended a "full transmission service" - drain, fill with some cleaner additive something, then put in new transmission fluid. $400. I'm checking with my local shop for the cost of just a flush. Should be probably <$200 right? @butterman2473, erring on the side of caution, I would want to get out more than just a simple drain and fill I think.

Based on all your responses here, doesn't sound like I should let the dealership do a "full diagnostic, flush, clean, flush etc" they are pushing.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Of course the dealer is going to tell you to go in. Expected that one. I would do a drain and fill with Matic S drive around a bit, drain and fill again, and you should be fine.

The dealer tries to push these "additives" like BG and stuff, yet the manual states "No additives are recommended" so that is a sham.

I had that BG crap unknowingly put in my Sonata during a service at Hyundai. Transmission shifted like crap so I took it back asking WTF they did. That's when I found out they did the "BG additive" told them I never said to put that Sh*T in so they drained the fluid put in new fluid and shifted WAY better.

I am not a fan of dealers, but you have to go in there knowing some stuff or they will run you to the ground.

If you take it to the dealer, ask them, "I thought flushes were bad for these transmissions" and DO NOT ADD ANY ADDITIVES to the fluid. Don't buy into their over priced money makers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it personally. Heck, Valvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for Matic D, J, K, S, and W. That probably means that it meets the requirements of the newest version (W?) and is backwards-compatible. Matic D probably doesn't meet some spec of S, but as @bajasam mentioned, one quart won't hurt.
👆I agree. Wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just do a drain and fill with some Valvoline Max life Full syn when you can.

Reactions: Ericthemantis

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,346 Posts
Just called the dealership and they recommended "drain and fill as soon as possible", but also want me to bring it in for a full diagnostic. When I asked if it needed a flush, they then recommended a "full transmission service" - drain, fill with some cleaner additive something, then put in new transmission fluid. $400. I'm checking with my local shop for the cost of just a flush. Should be probably
Based on all your responses here, doesn't sound like I should let the dealership do a "full diagnostic, flush, clean, flush etc" they are pushing.
If it's shifting perfectly fine....don't sweat it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Matic D is fine, its also on the approved list so will do no damage. Now if some clown had dropped in mercon or something, yeah, get it outta there pronto, but ........
You're good to go. Motor on and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Matic D is fine, its also on the approved list so will do no damage. Now if some clown had dropped in mercon or something, yeah, get it outta there pronto, but ........
You're good to go. Motor on and enjoy.
NissanMatic Type "D" is actually the original Dexron formula. It is not approved for the RE5R05A transmission in the Gen 2, but I also agree that one quart of it mixed in with the rest of the correct ATF shouldn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Personally, I think getting NissanMatic ATF is a waste of money. I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF for the last decade and never had any problems with it AND it's only $18/gallon jug at the local Walmart. Best of all, it's compatible with Type "D," "J" and "S," so you don't have to worry about having different kinds of transmission fluid and chancing pouring the wrong type into some place it doesn't belong. I can use it in my 03 Frontier, my two, R51 Pathfinders and also works as P/S fluid.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Personally, I think getting NissanMatic ATF is a waste of money. I've been using Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF for the last decade and never had any problems with it AND it's only $18/gallon jug at the local Walmart. Best of all, it's compatible with Type "D," "J" and "S," so you don't have to worry about having different kinds of transmission fluid and chancing pouring the wrong type into some place it doesn't belong. I can use it in my 03 Frontier, my two, R51 Pathfinders and also works as P/S fluid.
^^^ This. MaxLife is the same quality stuff, 100% compatible and warranty approved, 34% of the cost. Just do it.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
554 Posts
^^^ This. MaxLife is the same quality stuff, 100% compatible and warranty approved, 34% of the cost. Just do it.
That's also what I use after reading a previous post by @smj999smj . The bottle says it works in 90% of non-CVT automatic transmissions, and the PI sheet confirms that. Heck, it even meets Mazda ATF M-V, Toyota ATF WS, and Ford Mercon LV, all of which Mobil1 synthetic ATF doesn't meet, and it's $18 a gallon at Walmart.

Only problem is finding it occasionally. I went to three different Walmarts. One had none, one had one gallon, and the last one had a full shelf.

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Your probably right for those out of warranty. If your in warranty? Use the OEM stuff. I used Aisin Matic S fluid in my 15 Titan. No issues and it cost half of what the OEM Matic S cost.

·
Registered
940 Posts
my problem is finding it occasionally. I went to three different Walmarts. One had none, one had one gallon, and the last one had a full shelf.
Hope you know there is an online Walmart store with always free shipping to your door, no need to run around town to different stores and the online selection of automotive chemicals is much larger and varied than any brick+mortor store.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts