Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a issue with my Check Engine Light throwing the Mass Air Flow Sensor Code and I want to get some thoughts from some of you who may know what to do or have had the same problem....Two weeks ago my check engine light came on and I went to Auto Zone to get them to run the code they said it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I replaced it and the light went off immediately. Well yesterday I was driving around and it came on again. Once again I went back and had them run the code...same one again. The hose running to my K&N CAI was frayed and it wasn't the right size so I replaced it and then bought some Mass Air Flow Sensor spray and cleaned it, disconnected the negative battery cable and its still on.

My possible thoughts of what it might be:
1. The sensor I just bought is also bad.
2. The K&N filter needs cleaned.
3. It could need a tune up with the CAI, Black Widow Muffler (turned before my rear tire with a 3 1/2 inch pipe)

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's not usually the MAF. What is the code specifically? Circuit shorted, open, out of range? Could be an air leak, wire frayed, ECM, loose terminal in the connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My truck isn't modified, 2011, but I had the same issue. Started happening during the winter. I could reset the light but it would always come back on. I took it to Nissan and they did a software update on the computer. Apparently the ECU asks the sensor for data to soon and it throws an error when it doesn't get the numbers it wants. Since the software update I haven't seen it come back on. Fuel mileage has increased as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My truck isn't modified, 2011, but I had the same issue. Started happening during the winter. I could reset the light but it would always come back on. I took it to Nissan and they did a software update on the computer. Apparently the ECU asks the sensor for data to soon and it throws an error when it doesn't get the numbers it wants. Since the software update I haven't seen it come back on. Fuel mileage has increased as well.
What exactly did they update? Did that cost you anything or was it a warranty deal? Just curious...

·
Registered
10 Posts
They did a software update to the ECU. Cost $65 I think. There is no recall that I know of. Might be a tech bulletin about it...Update took about an hour I think. I dropped my truck off while I was at work.

I trust my Nissan dealership. The service department has always treated me well when I had a 97 Pathfinder and now with my Frontier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts