Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to drive 4-cylinder Frontiers with both automatic and manual transmissions? What are your thoughts? Difference in acceleration, smoothness, other?

How about comparing S vs. SV? Is there any difference with additional sound insulation or other changes that affect refinement, or is the trim level difference only with amenities such as cruise control, wheels and tires, etc? For example, I know of a couple vehicles that get acoustic glass for a windshield except of the base models.

I am interested in getting an SV with the 2.5L and a manual trans, but can only find S automatics nearby for a test drive, without making a three hour trip to test drive an S manual (any SV manuals I could find are much further away than that).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to drive 4-cylinder Frontiers with both automatic and manual transmissions? What are your thoughts? Difference in acceleration, smoothness, other?

How about comparing S vs. SV? Is there any difference with additional sound insulation or other changes that affect refinement, or is the trim level difference only with amenities such as cruise control, wheels and tires, etc? For example, I know of a couple vehicles that get acoustic glass for a windshield except of the base models.

I am interested in getting an SV with the 2.5L and a manual trans, but can only find S automatics nearby for a test drive, without making a three hour trip to test drive an S manual (any SV manuals I could find are much further away than that).
I can only speak for SV with automatic transmission. I test drove both the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinder just doesn’t have enough power in my opinion. In Houston traffic, I would get killed in a 4 cylinder. I was coming from a Altima with the 4 cylinder which was more than adequate for that particular vehicle. So I went ahead and spent the extra money and got the V6 SV with the value package. For me, it was well worth the extra ~$1,500. When I bought the Frontier my original plan was to keep for 3 years or so and then buy Ram 1500 with a Diesel engine. I ended up liking the Frontier so much I have since decided to keep the Frontier until I hit 200,000 miles (10 years)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I originally looked at an S with the 4 and a manual. I found a 2wd SV 4/5spd and fell in love. The dealership had it on their lot and gave me a killer deal, little more than the S I was considering.

The 5spd is not geared tall in OD. It will cruise around 3k on the tach. This means it will pull okay on the highway but get poor mpg. Unless you are towing, then any headwind resistance will be very noticeable. Hills are a struggle in top gear. Easier at 85 than 65 because of rpm. Towing means a steep freeway hill may need 3rd. Best to anticipate and drop to 4th before the speed drops or increase speed. Flat towing is fine. The 2.5 has a 4 inch stroke and should have a monster midrange but the tuning isn't correct so it is kind of flat. Wish I could play with ignition timing.

An auto would shift quickly for you and have less problems with the hills.

A 2wd V6 manual would be a hoot! Too bad that's gone.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
A 2wd V6 manual would be a hoot! Too bad that's gone.
I dig my '15 KC 4x2 V6 6-sp! AND, a CC 'S' 4x2 V6 6-sp manual is still being built and available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 5mt is much peppier in my opinion. Test driving a 5A will be a completely different driving experience for you. I have driven several examples of each variant.

I have a 05 Frontier XE 5MT which I've been very happy with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
salvisol
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing