Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if 2000 Frontiers with manual transmissions are known to have problems? We have one with 90,000-mi. & always performed proper maintenance, but it will not stay in 1st gear, pops-out as soon as the clutch is released. Also, 3-months ago, I changed the gear oil, & noticed it to be of a strange metallic color, rather than just old gear oil. There was no metal particles in it, just fine metal dust! Thanks for any inputs, Elwood

·
Registered
32 Posts
Because I was curious as to what the answer was to the unasked question, "Why shouldn't I use GL5?", I googled this:

"GL5 is a different spec, and is not 'backwards compatible' with GL4.

GL5 gear oil is a lubricant with very high extreme pressure performance needed for Hypoid gears where sliding and rolling contacts operate under very high loadings. This is achieved by incorporating high concentration of sulfurized additives. The downside to such high sulfur in oil is it tends to corrode yellow metals, so can ruin parts like brass synchronizers and some bushings. So any equipment needing GL5 performance is designed taking this limitation of the lubricant into account.

GL4 oils are much more friendly to yellow metals, and so are used in equipment where such high load sliding-rolling contacts aren't present. The designers of such equipment aren't as limited in the use of brass parts. So the bottom line is that if your equipment calls for GL4 it probably doesn't need GL5 performance, and you may be asking for trouble down the line if you use a lube it wasn't designed for."

From a poster identifying himself as drwebb at Automotive lubricant engineering - Differences between EP90 GL4 and GL5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what was in it before I drained it, but it sounds like from your posts, that is what may have caused this premature failure. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
578 Posts
i have a 2000 v6 4x4 with a 5 speed manual, but ive only had it a few months and i havnt had issues

·
Registered
63 Posts
03 with 105K with no issues *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
667 Posts
Synchros are no big deal to replace if you have some basic transmission knowledge or you can take it to any trans shop and get it fixed. all the parts should be available through your local nissan dealer. I also recommend replacing the throw out bearing and the collar it rides on as these are known to brake at high mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts