Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two years, the clutch on my 2006 Frontier (6 speed manual transmission) have been extremely stiff when the outside temperature is below 20F. The problem (stiff clutch) goes away after 10 minutes or so of driving. Has anyone been able to figure out if the problem is with the fluid / cylinders or the moving parts of the clutch? What was the fix?

Note: Other threads discuss problems with the transmission; this thread is specifically about the hydraulic fluid and the clutch mechanism. I don't have a problem shifting, just getting the clutch to function normally when first starting out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Flush the clutch/brake fluid. It has absorbed enough water that it is thickening up when cold.

Stiff clutch has NOTHING to do with what oil is in the transmission. Transmission oil will change how the shifter feels, but not the clutch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's my thinking as well (water in the hydraulic fluid). I'll change it out in the next day or so, but won't know the results until next Winter.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
763 Posts
Does it not engage the first gear or hard to push the lever into first? mine is hard to engage into first when cold at start up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When cold, the clutch is sluggish. It doesn't require extra effort to depress, but I can sense that the clutch is not entirely disengaged when I put it into first. When releasing the clutch, it's slow to fully engage (slipping).

According to the mechanic at the dealership, the hydraulic fluid for the clutch is part of the brake fluid system. I have it flushed / replaced every 30k miles, so it can't be the fluid. His only other thought was that there could be a buildup of grease on the sliding surfaces, that when cold, doesn't allow for "normal" movement.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
When cold, the clutch is sluggish. It doesn't require extra effort to depress, but I can sense that the clutch is not entirely disengaged when I put it into first. When releasing the clutch, it's slow to fully engage (slipping).

According to the mechanic at the dealership, the hydraulic fluid for the clutch is part of the brake fluid system. I have it flushed / replaced every 30k miles, so it can't be the fluid. His only other thought was that there could be a buildup of grease on the sliding surfaces, that when cold, doesn't allow for "normal" movement.
Bad assumption.

They bleed all 4 wheels, bleeding the clutch is not normal when doing brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts