Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a throw out bearing start squealing and ended up replacing the entire clutch kit (it had damaged the pressure plate) as well as the pilot bearing. I did not have time for the work myself and got a trusted mechanic friend to do it. When I picked it up he said that part of my problem was that at some time in the past someone did not put the dust cover back on it and a lot of road dust (I drive on gravel roads a lot) got in there and gummed up the grease on the throw out bearing.

What I would like to ask is:

1. Where can I get a replacement dust cover?
2. How big a deal is it to replace? Does it require transmission removal again?

Thanks very much.

Rob
2006 Nissan Frontier 4WD 4 liter V6

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dealer will sell it. Very easy install, easier than an oil change. It is held on with a bolt or two.
Surprised the person putting the clutch in didn't put one in. Takes longer to get under the truck then it does to install it. Only tool needed is a 10mm wrench (or go fancy and a 10mm socket and ratchet)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You have pics of what it looks like?
Don't think my truck came with one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
....got a trusted mechanic friend to do it. When I picked it up he said that part of my problem was that at some time in the past someone did not put the dust cover back on it and a lot of road dust (I drive on gravel roads a lot) got in there and gummed up the grease on the throw out bearing...
So why didn't HE install a new cover??? That's what puzzles me !!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Oh sorry, you can tell from Nissan4Life pics you don't need to drop the trans. Just remove the clutch slave piston hardware and slide the cover on and reinstall the hardware.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was thinking the tin cover at the front of the bellhousing. That is a different dust cover from the rubber boot on the clutch fork.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As someone who has had to replace the clutch in my 2012 Frontier twice now, I would highly recommend that you replace both the master and slave cylinders ASAP. These are failing internally and causing premature clutch failure. I did not do this the first time so I ended up replacing the clutch a second time. Up to you but it is literally a 20 min job to change them both and bleed them. They are also pretty cheap on Rockauto.com.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As someone who has had to replace the clutch in my 2012 Frontier twice now, I would highly recommend that you replace both the master and slave cylinders ASAP. These are failing internally and causing premature clutch failure. I did not do this the first time so I ended up replacing the clutch a second time. Up to you but it is literally a 20 min job to change them both and bleed them. They are also pretty cheap on Rockauto.com.
Interesting conclusion you have here? How many miles had you driven on your original clutch?

The clutch only wears when you are engaging it or if your slipping it? How did your second clutch prematurely fail?

Your truck is 1/4 the age of my truck and I have original clutch 140k on it. Been towing a RV the last two years still no clutch problems. I'm sure it will start slipping one of these days.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Interesting conclusion you have here? How many miles had you driven on your original clutch?

The clutch only wears when you are engaging it or if your slipping it? How did your second clutch prematurely fail?

Your truck is 1/4 the age of my truck and I have original clutch 140k on it. Been towing a RV the last two years still no clutch problems. I'm sure it will start slipping one of these days.
First time was at 64k miles, second was at 67k miles. there are threads here that talk about the premature clutch failures on these trucks, they seem to be a hit or miss problem usually attributed to the dual mass flywheel. Turns out that on my truck and from what I am hearing now is that the master cylinders are failing internally and causing the clutch to never fully engage so it is slipping to its untimely demise. They are cheap enough parts so to me the second time around was a no brainer to just go ahead and replace them. Once replaced, the clutch felt like it had never felt, I had just assumed it was a very light clutch, but it was not, just bad parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts