Nissan Frontier Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The issue with MY Frontier was NOT that it was a manual transmission, per se. It was the #$%^@ Clutch/Flywheel that was the problem on my particular model.

All that said, I reluctantly moved into an automatic transmission (first in 35 years) Titan and will NEVER look back. Not for towing, I won't.

I have just returned from a 1708 mile trip over and through a couple of mountain ranges and I dread the thought of having to be shifting that whole time.

AGAIN - the problem I had with MY Frontier was due to the POS dual plate flywheel on that model.
The last time the OP commented on ClubFrontier it was on this thread 4yrs ago. I don't know why I didn't think of this early, but I bet he didn't resurface his flywheel so it was burnt and/or warped and just burning up his new clutch when ever he put a load on it. A bad pressure plate from the factory could also do this and it's not unheard of.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
The last time the OP commented on ClubFrontier it was on this thread 4yrs ago. I don't know why I didn't think of this early, but I bet he didn't resurface his flywheel so it was burnt and/or warped and just burning up his new clutch when ever he put a load on it. A bad pressure plate from the factory could also do this and it's not unheard of.
I thought it was generally best to never resurface our dual mass flywheels...but to instead purchase a new one whenever a clutch replacement is made?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I thought it was generally best to never resurface our dual mass flywheels...but to instead purchase a new one whenever a clutch replacement is made?
Oh that's right shift_RUSH so you should spend +-$400 for a new flywheel if you put a new clutch in. I wonder if the OP was trying to save $400 which didn't work. Then came on here bad mouthing 6spd Frontiers for towing. Which far too many of us know that Frontiers can tow 5000lbs or more well over 20 trips and still not have slipping issues even on a 12yr old 144k mile original clutch :)

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
2006 Frontier SE 4x4, 2006 Xterra S RWD
10 Posts
Oh that's right shift_RUSH so you should spend +-$400 for a new flywheel if you put a new clutch in. I wonder if the OP was trying to save $400 which didn't work. Then came on here bad mouthing 6spd Frontiers for towing. Which far too many of us know that Frontiers can tow 5000lbs or more well over 20 trips and still not have slipping issues even on a 12yr old 144k mile original clutch :)
I bought a 2006 Frontier SE 4x4 6 spd manual With 56,000 miles. The clutch did not engage until the top of its travel, so a week later I installed a new Luk dual mass flywheel and Exedy clutch assembly.
i had read that Exedy is original equipment on Frontier. The original disc was worn so close to the rivets that they showed very slight indication of touching. The flywheel attachment bolts were out of line with the access openings so I had to pry a bit to get the torx bit to engage.
I replaced the rear main seal, and installed the now Luk dual mass flywheel. The holes were aligned right out of the box. I am guessing my original flywheel was significantly worn.
The new system is smooth and engages near the bottom of travel just like my 2006 Xterra 2 wheel drive 4.0 6 spd with 125k. But I have a problem. A vibration similar to a driveshaft out of balance starts at about 55 mph, and gets worse the faster I go. I have not driven it over 72 mph or so. With the 4x4 I have the simple one piece driveshaft, so I am thinking something else is causing vibration, but I intend to send it for balance and new ujoints Monday. Does anyone have any idea as to my problem. I would love to hear smj999smj thoughts!
I sure hope that new flywheel is OK. That job was brutal. I have a shop and have replaced many clutches; that transmission and transfer case are heavy!
Ever have front driveshaft balance problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 2006 Frontier SE 4x4 6 spd manual With 56,000 miles. The clutch did not engage until the top of its travel, so a week later I installed a new Luk dual mass flywheel and Exedy clutch assembly.
i had read that Exedy is original equipment on Frontier. The original disc was worn so close to the rivets that they showed very slight indication of touching. The flywheel attachment bolts were out of line with the access openings so I had to pry a bit to get the torx bit to engage.
I replaced the rear main seal, and installed the now Luk dual mass flywheel. The holes were aligned right out of the box. I am guessing my original flywheel was significantly worn.
The new system is smooth and engages near the bottom of travel just like my 2006 Xterra 2 wheel drive 4.0 6 spd with 125k. But I have a problem. A vibration similar to a driveshaft out of balance starts at about 55 mph, and gets worse the faster I go. I have not driven it over 72 mph or so. With the 4x4 I have the simple one piece driveshaft, so I am thinking something else is causing vibration, but I intend to send it for balance and new ujoints Monday. Does anyone have any idea as to my problem. I would love to hear smj999smj thoughts!
I sure hope that new flywheel is OK. That job was brutal. I have a shop and have replaced many clutches; that transmission and transfer case are heavy!
Ever have front driveshaft balance problems?
I forgot to mention that it drove 900 miles home with the original flywheel and clutch with no vibration driving up to 80 mph. The original clutch worked well, just late engagemen.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it is only speed related, it's probably the driveshaft. Flywheel weight issue should be RPM based. If you are in a lower gear at a higher rpm, does the vibration still start at the same vehicle speed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it is only speed related, it's probably the driveshaft. Flywheel weight issue should be RPM based. If you are in a lower gear at a higher rpm, does the vibration still start at the same vehicle speed?
Thanks!
That makes perfect sense; I will test it Monday. As I recall, no vibration in lower gears.
Servicing the driveshaft(s) is vastly better than having a defective flywheel. I suppose I should send both the main and front driveshafts to the rebuilders shop. I am pretty sure the front driveshaft turns all the time, even when not engaged.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's funny sometimes reading angry post from the OP about it's the Trucks fault but not there's
Logically it makes sense to blame something you understand but.....sometimes the user themselves discover it was their lack of understanding is what brought them there!
Anyways even so called experts have trouble once in a while rock on guys.....(y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks!
That makes perfect sense; I will test it Monday. As I recall, no vibration in lower gears.
Servicing the driveshaft(s) is vastly better than having a defective flywheel. I suppose I should send both the main and front driveshafts to the rebuilders shop. I am pretty sure the front driveshaft turns all the time, even when not engaged.
The front driveshaft was out of balance.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts