Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hi Maxacceleration,

Yes, everything replaced. No evidence at all of a leak.

I only have the problem while backing up under some load. i.e. light utility trailer, slight up hill/knoll. Most concern was with camper. I dropped camper where it was and did not even attempt to park it correctly, as I could smell the damn clutch burning.

Unless someone has had this problem and found the solution, I can't afford to experiment with it.

Also, I will be towing long distances (cross country) and just don't want to take risks of it breaking down on the road.

I believe I will most likely move up to a Titan as they were made for towing. I just wanted to leave information regarding this problem so other people are made aware that they "may" have problems.

I'm still a fan of Nissan and am not ready to jump ship just yet.

The manual does not tow well. Had the same problem on my stock clutch it would burn same thing backing any small trailer up a hill to park it, offroad it would smell, etc. my first one went out at about 30k give or take and the 2nd went out about 20k after that. When I took it apart there's a c clip that hold the throw out bearing it was missing a piece and when it was pulled out it crumbled. I think that it was part of the reason it wore out the second time prematurely because the clutch was always partially engaged. You can get the clip from the dealer. I went with the spec stage 2+ clutch because I was tired of ****ing around with the stock oem garbage. With 800-1000 miles of break in, afterwards anything that used to burn the stock clutch didn't happen anymore. The spec has not slipped once on me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The manual does not tow well. Had the same problem on my stock clutch it would burn same thing backing any small trailer up a hill to park it, offroad it would smell, etc. my first one went out at about 30k give or take and the 2nd went out about 20k after that. When I took it apart there's a c clip that hold the throw out bearing it was missing a piece and when it was pulled out it crumbled. I think that it was part of the reason it wore out the second time prematurely because the clutch was always partially engaged. You can get the clip from the dealer. I went with the spec stage 2+ clutch because I was tired of ****ing around with the stock oem garbage. With 800-1000 miles of break in, afterwards anything that used to burn the stock clutch didn't happen anymore. The spec has not slipped once on me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks so much for the info!!!!!!!

Do you know if the Spec 2+ will work with a dual mass flywheel or will I need to replace the flywheel again?

·
Registered
784 Posts
+1 can't judge a clutch with 70k as if it were new. Aside from damage by the PO, your driving style has a lot to do with it too. I've towed at (and above...well above on my previous truck) capacity a few times and never smelled clutch, even backing up my 200' slightly inclined driveway.

However I'm pretty careful with it and use lower rpm with short busts of slippage when I need to slip it. All I can say is that it works well enough for me, not that it works well for everyone or that it's beefy or anything. When I first got my truck, it was hard to drive because I'm used to the Firebird and Beetle which both have much heavier clutch pedals and more aggressive clutches (stock).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
+1 can't judge a clutch with 70k as if it were new. Aside from damage by the PO, your driving style has a lot to do with it too. I've towed at (and above...well above on my previous truck) capacity a few times and never smelled clutch, even backing up my 200' slightly inclined driveway.

However I'm pretty careful with it and use lower rpm with short busts of slippage when I need to slip it. All I can say is that it works well enough for me, not that it works well for everyone or that it's beefy or anything. When I first got my truck, it was hard to drive because I'm used to the Firebird and Beetle which both have much heavier clutch pedals and more aggressive clutches (stock).

It might be important to note that you are driving a 2012 and I have a 2006. Subtle differences between model years can come into play.

You can see here: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Frontier/

·
Registered
784 Posts
It might be important to note that you are driving a 2012 and I have a 2006. Subtle differences between model years can come into play.

You can see here: Nissan Frontier Problems | CarComplaints.com
I agree that it could be. Did the clutch p/n change between those times? (No really, I have no idea). I'd still hesitate to bad mouth a clutch that someone else put the first 70k on.

Also a matter of perspective. I cut my teeth towing twice as much with half as much. My previous truck was a '91 toyota 4 banger 5 speed 2wd rated for 3500lbs. ~2800 curb weight (plus me and bed load), 115hp pulling ~5500-6k lbs (did have brakes but still, Young, poor, invincible). That was a TRUCK built to be driven past the limit, through hell and high water and back again. The Frontier's a bit more comfortable in that load range I'll admit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree that it could be. Did the clutch p/n change between those times? (No really, I have no idea). I'd still hesitate to bad mouth a clutch that someone else put the first 70k on.

Also a matter of perspective. I cut my teeth towing twice as much with half as much. My previous truck was a '91 toyota 4 banger 5 speed 2wd rated for 3500lbs. ~2800 curb weight (plus me and bed load), 115hp pulling ~5500-6k lbs (did have brakes but still, Young, poor, invincible). That was a TRUCK built to be driven past the limit, through hell and high water and back again. The Frontier's a bit more comfortable in that load range I'll admit.
It was NOT the first clutch - I wrote that off to previous owner.

However, AFTER the clutch and flywheel were both replaced, the problem continues!!!!!!!!! :surprise:

(With new clutch) Backing up, up hill, even with under 1000 lb load, the clutch burns (stinks terrible). :crying:

I have done this very same thing (backing up trailers) for years with various Nissan Trucks and most recently with an Xterra. None of the previous year Nissan vehicles EVER did this. In fact, I have driven them ALL well over 150,000 miles NEVER having to replace a clutch EVER.

You would just think, if I was such a poor driver, certainly I would have had problems previously in the past 30+ years!!!!!!

I LOVE my Frontier. I just want to let people know that there are potential clutch problems with (2006) Frontier, 6 speed manual transmission, two wheel drive. While attempting to back up a trailer, up hill, under load.

Some people in this thread have verified the issue and shared their experience in resolving it. I hope we can leave information for future members to help them resolve this issue quickly without spending thousands of dollars on useless replacement clutches.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
My Titan had a trans fluid temp gauge and backing up any incline very quickly heated up on that automatic.
How about a front mounted hitch and you can push the trailer instead of backing up? Not sure where you're backing up or the circumstances of doing so.
For me it was going up my driveway to park the trailer, using the front hitch it was way easier.
I've read extensively about frontier clutches (I'm at 91,000 miles on mine) and more than a few who went to a single mass flywheel weren't too happy after doing so. Hope you find a good solution.

Clint

·
Registered
861 Posts
My '10 KC Pro4x clutch seems just fine. Reverse is taller than I'm used to but I got the hang of it within a week of owning the truck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Like you said, maybe it is something with the years. I pulled 5k+lbs on sh***Y uhaul bias ply tires 300 miles then up my 200' slightly inclined driveway with no adverse smells.

My mention of perspective from other trucks wasn't the quantity but the quality, the most powerful of my last 3 trucks had 125 hp. My S10 had 90. I towed the same uhaul box with at least as much weight with my 115 hp toyota. If I didn't have an uber-clutch-conserving driving style I wouldn't have made it 10 miles much less than 300 on that well-used clutch.

I'd agree that that this truck doesn't feel over-built like my Toyota did. Or my S10. or the few old Nissan trucks I drove while in the shop. It feels soft, like a car. Car clutch, car steering car brakes, car suspension (it rides softer but worse than my wife's mazda hatchback) with the with the unrefinedness of a frame and solid axle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
THE only problem with the clutch is that it "burns" backing up with a trailer or camper on slight incline (under load).

I have experienced NO PROBLEMS while driving (forward) with or without load.

Again, backing up with a load on and slight incline.

I will also say again the I have driven ONLY Nissan manual transmission trucks since 1983. I have NEVER had any problems at all, with anything. I have never had clutch problems and I usually drive them to well over 150,000 miles.

I am still a big fan of Nissan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Single, verses Dual-Mass flywheels installed history

Originally Posted by av8or-dave View Post

You also have to look at what year/model/generation NISSAN started putting the dual-mass flywheels in their trucks (vehicles) and judge excessive/premature clutch ware out on that premises, to determine the culprit of so many issues about this subject!

Anyone getting a clutch replaced by an approved Nissan Repair Shop should insist on the dual-mass flywheel being checked (dial gages and play recorded) - before they remove and replace it, when the other components are out of the way!

I think this is the White elephant in the room everyone is overlooking as the main contributor to these irrational clutch failures, and certainly Nissan doesn't want to retrofit all these dual-mass flywheels via recall directives, costing $Millions of their executive Hawaiian beachfront time share profits!

And report finding to www.safecar.gov! If there4 are enough complaints sent there (like mine), they have the power to get this situation fixed!

Again. look/check to see if your vehicle is equipped with a dual-mass flywheel: then dig further in that direction for the cause of clutch failures, instead of blaming drivers for driving the truck, and making it do "work" God Forbid!

Mine often gets burn smell just backing up 3 degree driveway about 40 feet with out a load of trailer. And if trailering and backing, just about every time! My 1996 4 DR, 4WD Ford Explorer (Single mass flywheel: 5 speed manual) didn't do that! Original OEM Clutch got changed at 120,000 miles only because the slave cylinder went, so saved on labor! That new FORD Clutch (old fashioned fly wheel) went another 80,000 until the SUV was destroyed (and my left knee holding clutch pedal down) when a kid texting rear-ended me at 50 MPH in a Hyundai Accent coup, while I was waiting to make a left turn.

So, for me the question is: Old-School single mass flywheels and clutch endurance; verses new-school dual-mass flywheels and frequency of clutch failures!

#1 failure at 14K/1yr-6 months
#2 failure at 32K/2 yrs - 10 months
#3 failure feels imminent 41K/ 4 years - 6 months

Like a predicable 14,000 mile +/- interval on my 2011 Pro-4X Frontier....(ordered it new from the factory to get the manual xmsn; so no one else has driven or abused it that I don't know about!)

And I am a CDL Driver, been driving manuals since 1978, all I've ever owned - why I ordered this truck!...I know how to drive manuals, never replaced a clutch for wearing out before!

Well, maybe my first car 1978 in High School, a 2dr 1967 Pontiac Lemans Sprint, 3 speed on the floor (body looks like GTO, but with a smaller engine, 8 track tape player: after replacing the clutch on my back (front wheel up on a curb in the parking lot for jack stands), under the car in a snow storm, I learned my lesson about respecting the clutch! And by then, that clutch could have had 11 years of abuse by others before I got it!

Anyways, I'm looking at putting OLD School conversion kit in next time- any brand suggestions, comments to help me shop now?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Launched boats in areas with no ramps.To do it I would have to go as fast as I could in reverse and slam on the brakes to slide the boat back off the trailer.Had to do this a numerous times to get the boat close to half way off the trailer.
Sure,maybe a stock clutch would last if you never had to put it to the test.
how did you put the boat back on the trailer? :willy_nilly:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You also have to look at what year/model/generation NISSAN started putting the dual-mass flywheels in their trucks (vehicles) and judge excessive/premature clutch ware out on that premises, to determine the culprit of so many issues about this subject!

Anyone getting a clutch replaced by an approved Nissan Repair Shop should insist on the dual-mass flywheel being checked (dial gages and play recorded) - before they remove and replace it, when the other components are out of the way!

I think this is the White elephant in the room everyone is overlooking as the main contributor to these irrational clutch failures, and certainly Nissan doesn't want to retrofit all these dual-mass flywheels via recall directives, costing $Millions of their executive Hawaiian beachfront time share profits!

And report finding to www.safecar.gov! If there4 are enough complaints sent there (like mine), they have the power to get this situation fixed!

Again. look/check to see if your vehicle is equipped with a dual-mass flywheel: then dig further in that direction for the cause of clutch failures, instead of blaming drivers for driving the truck, and making it do "work" God Forbid!

Mine often gets burn smell just backing up 3 degree driveway about 40 feet with out a load of trailer. And if trailering and backing, just about every time! My 1996 4 DR, 4WD Ford Explorer (Single mass flywheel: 5 speed manual) didn't do that! Original OEM Clutch got changed at 120,000 miles only because the slave cylinder went, so saved on labor! That new FORD Clutch (old fashioned fly wheel) went another 80,000 until the SUV was destroyed (and my left knee holding clutch pedal down) when a kid texting rear-ended me at 50 MPH in a Hyundai Accent coup, while I was waiting to make a left turn.

So, for me the question is: Old-School single mass flywheels and clutch endurance; verses new-school dual-mass flywheels and frequency of clutch failures!

#1 failure at 14K/1yr-6 months
#2 failure at 32K/2 yrs - 10 months
#3 failure feels imminent 41K/ 4 years - 6 months

Like a predicable 14,000 mile +/- interval on my 2011 Pro-4X Frontier....(ordered it new from the factory to get the manual xmsn; so no one else has driven or abused it that I don't know about!)

And I am a CDL Driver, been driving manuals since 1978, all I've ever owned - why I ordered this truck!...I know how to drive manuals, never replaced a clutch for wearing out before!

Well, maybe my first car 1978 in High School, a 2dr 1967 Pontiac Lemans Sprint, 3 speed on the floor (body looks like GTO, but with a smaller engine, 8 track tape player: after replacing the clutch on my back (front wheel up on a curb in the parking lot for jack stands), under the car in a snow storm, I learned my lesson about respecting the clutch! And by then, that clutch could have had 11 years of abuse by others before I got it!
THANK YOU for this detailed information!

I suspected that dual mass flywheel and had paid to have it replaced (with another) when I had my clutch replaced. IF I had had this information (before now) I would have gone ahead and replaced the replacement. However, I just couldn't afford spending good money after bad, experimenting with this issue. I needed to have something that worked and that I could count on.

Unfortunately, I moved on and moved up to a Nissan Titan with a tow package. Frontys big brother has NO PROBLEMS with my lil ol camper.

I'm glad I did not have to go with something other than Nissan. The thought of that was making me ill.

Thanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Row, Row, Row your boat gently out of the stream...

how did you put the boat back on the trailer? :willy_nilly:

Maybe he used a long rope on his wench system?

Maybe he "Dukes of Hazard" jumped it out of the water onto the trailer? LOL >:D If so, please post video!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Maybe he used a long rope on his wench system?

Maybe he "Dukes of Hazard" jumped it out of the water onto the trailer? LOL >:D If so, please post video!

Would like more info on this "wench" system... please include pics! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
271 Posts
This was the first attempt to launch.Friend's boat had a shallow draft and tried to tow me off.Did not work.That is when I would slam the boat half off the trailer to get it to float.We would moor the boats in the estero and go through the mouth to the open ocean.
When we put the boats back on the trailers,the boats are already floating.Duh.
It seemed like in my head you backed the boat off the Dock into the water ::laugh:: but those pictures make it clear now aha.... still seems pretty difficult to get that boat out on the water though

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also, I will be towing long distances (cross country) and just don't want to take risks of it breaking down on the road.

I believe I will most likely move up to a Titan as they were made for towing. I just wanted to leave information regarding this problem so other people are made aware that they "may" have problems.

I'm still a fan of Nissan and am not ready to jump ship just yet.
I have had two manual transmission Frontiers and towed across country with them....they seem to work just fine. Yes, reverse could be lower but I think for most applications it works fine.

FYI - on my 1999 4runner and 2012 Pro-4X - within the first 5k miles I would smell a little burn after putting the clutch to work. After that - nothing.

I would disagree with your blanket statement of "do not use the frontier for towing". My fear from reading this board is longevity!

Good luck man

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The issue with MY Frontier was NOT that it was a manual transmission, per se. It was the #$%^@ Clutch/Flywheel that was the problem on my particular model.

All that said, I reluctantly moved into an automatic transmission (first in 35 years) Titan and will NEVER look back. Not for towing, I won't.

I have just returned from a 1708 mile trip over and through a couple of mountain ranges and I dread the thought of having to be shifting that whole time.

AGAIN - the problem I had with MY Frontier was due to the POS dual plate flywheel on that model.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've towed with my 2006 Nismo manual and never had issues with it. Hauled a 18' Whaler boat a few times and medium trailers.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts