Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say, I LOVE my Manual 6 speed Frontier. It is great in every way EXCEPT as a Tow Vehicle!!!

I have exclusively owned Nissan (manual transmission) trucks since 1983. I have been a big fan of Nissan. My last was a 2001 Xterra. Traded it in 2014. All of them I owned until their bodies rusted away. Sadly, mechanically, they still ran fine.

Last summer I purchased a 2006 Frontier with 70,000 miles. It wis the 1st Nissan that I have been disappointed with.

THE CLUTCH SUCKS. I did finally get the clutch pedal adjusted to be at a more comfortable height but THE CLUTCH just wants to burn up backing up with any kind of load (trailer, boat, etc).

My Xterra had no such problems.

IF you plan on towing with a manual transmission Frontier - you have been warned.

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
a lot of people tow with the manual. im not going to say you are the only one with problems but there are not many people that have had problems towing with manual. it could be a bum clutch or it could be driver.

but i personally do not like towing with a manual so im auto.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally prefer manual over auto. Every vehicle I've owned has been a stick up to the last two Frontiers.
Wife can't drive a stick so I compromised and went auto. Frankly I like towing with the auto. Easier in traffic and the wife can use the truck if needed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PLEASE PEOPLE - If you have no personal experience with this particular issue - let it go.

You do no good to others speaking only your opinion.

If you read what I originally wrote, you would realize that I have owned nothing but Nissan manual transmissions for 30 years - with NO PROBLEMS. I KNOW how to drive a "stick shift".

The clutch in this 2006 (already been replaced once by me - don't know about previous owner) burns (you can smell it) up backing up even lighter weight utility trailers.

BEWARE if you are looking for a tow vehicle!!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
PLEASE PEOPLE - If you have no personal experience with this particular issue - let it go.

You do no good to others speaking only your opinion.

If you read what I originally wrote, you would realize that I have owned nothing but Nissan manual transmissions for 30 years - with NO PROBLEMS. I KNOW how to drive a "stick shift".

The clutch in this 2006 (already been replaced once by me - don't know about previous owner) burns (you can smell it) up backing up even lighter weight utility trailers.

BEWARE if you are looking for a tow vehicle!!!!!!
Good luck. Bye

·
Registered
172 Posts
Last summer I purchased a 2006 Frontier with 70,000 miles. It wis the 1st Nissan that I have been disappointed with.

THE CLUTCH SUCKS.

Which brings up, how much of your clutch sucks issue is the design and how much is from a previous user torturing the clutch and pressure plate?
The mileage you're used to getting out of your clutches may be well above the average.

I've been told by mechanics I use over the years that I get more then the average mileage out of a clutch. One of them told me he rarely sees one go past the mileage your truck has on it because people only think they know how to drive a stick. He was telling he's had some come in with less than 50,000 miles that were completely thrashed.

Reactions: Chasespeed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi quietman,

Thank you so much for the response.

I've owned 5 previous Nissan trucks/Xterra and NEVER had any problems let alone clutch/transmission problems. I purchased the first four new and drove them to well over 150,000 miles with no problems. The Xterra had 50,000 miles but never had any problems with that one either.

With this 2006 Frontier, I had to replace the clutch and the flywheel and I smell it burning again. Even when I was backing up a small utility trailer with a light load (under 1000 lbs.) I have NEVER smelled my clutch in any other car.

THIS is why it seems like the clutch/flywheel are inferior products.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
A shorter reverse gear would surely(?) allow more control with less need for slippage during uphill/reverse precision maneuvering.
I've yet to tow with either of my Frontiers, so I can't 'really' put my .02 worth in, right? But, compared to my '00 XE 4cyl 5-sp manual...the reverse gearing & control feels quite different in my '15.
I might change my mind if/when I begin to tow...but overall, rowing my own gears is not something I would even remotely want to give up when it comes to the overall driving experience. This 4.0 6-sp is a hoot 'n a half!

Reactions: Tommy Pearson III

·
Registered
650 Posts
First I want to say, I LOVE my Manual 6 speed Frontier. It is great in every way EXCEPT as a Tow Vehicle!!!

I have exclusively owned Nissan (manual transmission) trucks since 1983. I have been a big fan of Nissan. My last was a 2001 Xterra. Traded it in 2014. All of them I owned until their bodies rusted away. Sadly, mechanically, they still ran fine.

THE CLUTCH SUCKS. I did finally get the clutch pedal adjusted to be at a more comfortable height but THE CLUTCH just wants to burn up backing up with any kind of load (trailer, boat, etc).

IF you plan on towing with a manual transmission Frontier - you have been warned.

With all due respect...you bought a truck that is nearly 10 model years old and has 70,000 miles on it. The condition of the clutch on a truck that old/used has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether or not the truck as a whole is a good vehicle to tow with. Who knows how that truck was driven for the last decade. Maybe the previous owner(s) couldn't drive a stick well. Maybe they flogged it offroad. Maybe they didn't maintain it properly. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
90k on a '10 with a manual transmission. Tow all the time, average a time or two a month. Often for a couple tanks of gas at a hitch. Still have lots of life left in the clutch. Everything from a small utility trailer, tandem axle boat trailer, sometimes even a car trailer (with car on it). Getting into the back yard is challenging, the house was put on the lot funny so you have to snake your way back through the gate as you back into the back yard. Yes there is a bit of clutch slipping going on to do it, but never have I smelled the clutch. Not sure how you are doing it but I can drive the truck and slip the clutch all the way into full engagement with the engine speed at nothing more than just above idle. Now if you are one of the drivers who can't drive a stick without slipping the clutch at 2000-3000 RPM, there may be a big part of your problem.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had a 2012 Crew Cab 6 speed, and the clutch is very different from my previous 3 Hardbody's, and 1 04 Frontier manual.
One of the Hardbody's was a V6. Still have that one.

It takes some getting used to the Frontier 4.0 clutch. You have to be patient. I put almost 23k on my 12 Frontier. Took probably 8k to really learn how to shift it smoothly.

It was annoying, but I still loved the truck. I towed a 3000+ lb boat with it often, and although reverse could be lower, It never had any issues even backing that boat up my driveway.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have an auto so I can't comment on clutch life. However we seem to have a lot of posts lately where the caps button is way over used.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,456 Posts
I have an auto so I can't comment on clutch life. However we seem to have a lot of posts lately where the caps button is way over used.
Let's keep this on-topic please.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The stock clutch sucks if your going to really run the truck. Or tow something that's doesn't weigh more than 500 lbs. then you'd be good to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
People can't read worth a crap. He said he has replaced the clutch. Jeez.
Clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and a flywheel balance, right?

I would ask, do you have a trans that may leak slightly? Does your hydraulic clutch slave leak slightly? Motor pan or rear main leak slightly?
Any one of those dripping on to your clutch (if they can) could cause slip or burning smell I would guess.
Base your backing motor speed close to idle, which equals less slip. I'm sure you know that.
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Maxacceleration,

Yes, everything replaced. No evidence at all of a leak.

I only have the problem while backing up under some load. i.e. light utility trailer, slight up hill/knoll. Most concern was with camper. I dropped camper where it was and did not even attempt to park it correctly, as I could smell the damn clutch burning.

Unless someone has had this problem and found the solution, I can't afford to experiment with it.

Also, I will be towing long distances (cross country) and just don't want to take risks of it breaking down on the road.

I believe I will most likely move up to a Titan as they were made for towing. I just wanted to leave information regarding this problem so other people are made aware that they "may" have problems.

I'm still a fan of Nissan and am not ready to jump ship just yet.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts