Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will just say i admit i was stupid and in the wrong for going over the speed limit. I had to be a man and do what i needed to makeup for my wrong actions. So im not trying to blame anyone for my mistake as it is my own. Just asking for advice.
Ok so i got a ticket This last Feburary for going 87mph in a 55mph zone. Off of I-85 North going towards Hwy 316. Well after going to court over the deal and getting my things in order this is what i found out. I pleaded guilty to going over the posted speed limit. I was to do 24hrs of community service and pay $420 for the speeding ticket. For me pleading guilty i was to keep my license and be able to do my community service and also go to college. Well 2wks from my date at the court office. I found out i was loosing my license and was ordered to turn in my plates and license immediately. So i did even though angry about it because from what the judge told me i was to keep it for college. I took it in stride.

Now fast forward and i thought i was to be at court this last friday at 9am. Well to my suprise i wasnt suppose to be in court and was to attend only if i didnt complete my end of the bargain. I found out that someone in the booking department did not put in where the judge dropped my speed from 87mph in a 55mph zone to 78mph. That way i could keep my license. So all in all. I wasnt suppose to loose my license and because of the states ignorance with the paperwork. I had to take off 2 terms from college. Which for me is 2 ten week courses.

The good news is they will will be sending back my license and re-instate it. Now i have to call tuesday and confirm it because the paperwork was sent in and all should go smoothly.

My question is will it be too much to ask for them to pay for my tag as well because i had to turn that in. It will cost me $190 to get my tag back. Thats money i dont have at the moment. I mean it was my fault in the first place for being stupid and ignorant. Taking my chances and rolling the dice abit. Its just their fault afterall for not properly documenting my paperwork. So just wondering what you guys think..

Thanks.Stan
here's a link to the thread i posted on Titantalk about it
Man is the system screwed up - Nissan Titan Forum

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This was not your first speeding ticket which is the reason why you almost lost your license.

You are out of your mind! Pay the $190 and count your blessings.

The gall some people have......

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This was not your first speeding ticket which is the reason why you almost lost your license.

You are out of your mind! Pay the $190 and count your blessings.

The gall some people have......
This was only my 4th. Your not the first to say that. If you look at the link i posted up. Another member on the titan forum said baiscally the same thing. No the reason i lost my license is the fact that is was a 4 point ticket. In GA anyone under the age of 21 that has 4 points on their license automatically looses it. Though when i presented the judge with the fatc i was attending college. He granted me some lee-way. If it was 3 points i wouldnt have this problem. That why the judge dropped it to help me attend college. I learned my lession. So dont worry about that.

It was though the person behind the desk that made the mistake also and didnt file my paperwork in the proper manner. Thats my only thing. That i had to loose my license due to the fact. That he or she forgot to put in some information. The judge even stated that i was to keep my license and he was to go with what the lawyer suggested.

nice to see you back..

my guess would be not a chance, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try at least.
Its nice to be back.....

I'll give it a try but not make it a major issue since they are going to reinstate my license and give it back to me free of charge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good to have you back! Sorry I havent called you back, my little boy had surgery and was in hospital for quite awhile. Sorry a little off topic, but glad to see you back here.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to have you back! Sorry I havent called you back, my little boy had surgery and was in hospital for quite awhile. Sorry a little off topic, but glad to see you back here.
No problem just give me a call when you get the chance because i got your tint sitting here waiting on ya. Its good to be back. I feel so loved :laugh:

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can ask I am sure, but you may not want to waste your breath
Yeah if at any point i feel a disconnect in the phone line im just going to ease out of it. Im going to visit the clerk of the courts though. First thing Tuesday morning if i can.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
asking for legal advice over the interwebs is never smart. different states have different vehicle codes. different jurisdiction districts can even sometimes have different precedents for certain offences.

in short,
sounds like there was a hiccup in the paperwork, and now you are out $190, right? the court already cut you a break, and i doubt the state is going to eat $190 for an oversight that happened giving you a break in the first place, regardless of who was at fault. take your lumps, finish your obligations, and be done with it.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
asking for legal advice over the interwebs is never smart. different states have different vehicle codes. different jurisdiction districts can even sometimes have different precedents for certain offences.

in short,
sounds like there was a hiccup in the paperwork, and now you are out $190, right? the court already cut you a break, and i doubt the state is going to eat $190 for an oversight that happened giving you a break in the first place, regardless of who was at fault. take your lumps, finish your obligations, and be done with it.
Im just happy to have finished all my obligations. It took me 3wks to complete the 40hrs of community service. Mostly due to a Wasp bite where the venom entered my vien on my arm and make it very hard to use my thumb. I had an allergic reaction i guess.

Thanks bud i know its more than likely not the smartest thing but just seeing what ya'll's thoughts were. Thats all. Thanks everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What you should have done was immediately schedule another court date after you found out they wanted you to turn in license after the judge had said you would keep it.

I have quite a bit of experience dealing with the county court system, and it is almost ALWAYS better to deal directly with the judge whenever something is wrong. For the most part the clerks don't give a rats ***, they skim the paperwork, and sometimes they go into 'autopilot' mode and ignore the judges calls and just go by the book. If you go to the judge whenever there is issues and let him know the error that was made, in my experience he will correct it. That is, unless you get a judge that simply doesn't care. Not sure how it works in Georgia but in Cali you just call the clerk and tell them you want to see a judge in regards to your case, they'll set up a date. Or you can 'crash' the court when it first opens (before 8am) and usually the bailiff will squeeze you in. And this is in the WAY overcrowded, WAY busy LA country court system, so I'm sure the courts in Georgia would allow similar allowances to see a judge. It's a bit of hassle but dealing with a judge is much better than dealing with, and expecting county clerks to give a **** and do their job.

As for getting you're title paid. Not a chance, unless the costs can be attributed to the courts error. Its all on you.

Glad to hear you're back behind the wheel. Slow it down and be safe.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got through talking with my pastor and giving him the heads up on what was going on with the legal stuff. Since i did all of my 40hrs of community service helping the church and all.

Wish me luck fella's because tomorrow is when i get to talk with them about everything. I hope this can get resolved as i hoped but if it doesn't i wont be angry. Im just happy to be driving my truck soon.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
LOL! I was going to tell you...to tell them to pay you for the school that you missed. Yes you got the ticket, and payed your end of the deal. There end of the deal got all screwed up...by them. I'm sure they will tell you to take a hike, but its worth asking to no pay the $190, for sure.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! I was going to tell you...to tell them to pay you for the school that you missed. Yes you got the ticket, and payed your end of the deal. There end of the deal got all screwed up...by them. I'm sure they will tell you to take a hike, but its worth asking to no pay the $190, for sure.
It wont hurt to ask you know.

·
Registered
358 Posts
different sort of question.... did you get all 4 tickets on/ around 85n ? recently?
I drive that every day and get off exit 115 (live only a couple miles south of the mall of GA). Its posted 70, so of course we run 75-80.....only place I have seen troopers is where jersey wall ends for a while near old peachtree.....

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
different sort of question.... did you get all 4 tickets on/ around 85n ? recently?
I drive that every day and get off exit 115 (live only a couple miles south of the mall of GA). Its posted 70, so of course we run 75-80.....only place I have seen troopers is where jersey wall ends for a while near old peachtree.....
No they have been accumilative since i was 16yrs old. I was coming off of I85 North towards Auburn/Winder area. Its acutally off of Ext-106.Where the speed limit changes drasticallly very quickly. They were doing a speed trap and 4 other people got pulled over along with me. I was avoiding a tractor trailer that was pushing people on to the median because he forgot to use his turn singal.

That would require a lawyer and i dont have the money or time for that at the moment otherwise id look into it. Im out $340 for college as of right now. Anway Update.....

I just got my license back and my id re-instated free of charge. I still have to wait till the 1st so i can get insurance on my truck till i know if they will pay for my tag. Which i found out in my area $35 so its no biggie. The reason it was $190 before was because i was on the border of Gwinnet/Barrow county.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts