Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finding wheels is a pain for this truck! First off, I don't want a wheel that is stock weight or heavier... so that rules out about 99% of available wheel. Then the aesthetics and visually working with the Frontier's design language comes in and that basically rules out the other 1%.... :frown: Cost would rule out the remaining, because my taste usually will end up being a custom wheel for $500+ each when weight and design criteria are met.

I like the Level 8 MK6's, but not their heavy weight and offset. The Mamba M19 just caught my eye, but I am sure it will be like the Level 8 Punch's (which were what I really wanted) - where caliper clearance is the issue. Does anyone know if the M19 will fit? Would be nice to have a 21lb or lighter 16x8 wheel...but seems to be an impossible thing to find. :crying:

M19 | Mamba Offroad Wheels

Any other lightweight 16x8 or 17x8 wheels (under 22lbs) that will fit the Frontier? 17x8 would be my wheel preference due to the 245/70-17 size tire I would really like to run if I could find a suitable wheel to mate it with.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
Would be nice to have a 21lb or lighter 16x8 wheel...but seems to be an impossible thing to find..
Only impossible because you want it cheap ::wink::

Just looking at the specs of that wheel, most of it seems good... bolt pattern, centerbore, and offset should be fine... however IIRC the factory 16x7" +30 wheel has a 5.18" backspacing - and that Mamba wheel has less room at 5.01"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm used to being able to find lightweight 15-17 lb 17x8' wheels with prices under $300 each without issue for a sports car where the stock wheels are 20-21lbs. For this truck it's been impossible to find anything under stock wheel weight, though I'm sure I could spec a custom 2 piece wheel if I had $3k or so to spend on wheels...

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I have the M-17's and love them, but although the bolt pattern matches I had to get 1.25" wheel spacers to get them to clear the brake calipers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
its a truck not a race car:)
True, but better fuel economy and improved ride quality from reduced unsprung mass is a real thing. Heavier wheels and tires really mess up the ability of the suspension to do it's job as effectively and degrade the overall performance of the vehicle when it comes to acceleration/deceleration and responsiveness.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the M-17's and love them, but although the bolt pattern matches I had to get 1.25" wheel spacers to get them to clear the brake calipers.
I saw your posts in another thread and that is why I've been sad for the M19's and not expecting them to work. M19's are probably a worse fit over the M17's as well based on the spoke connection to the barrel lip area... :frown:

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I'm used to being able to find lightweight 15-17 lb 17x8' wheels with prices under $300 each without issue for a sports car...
Sure... I'm used to being able to find high performance 27.5" tires for my mountain bike with prices under $100 each without issue. So? It's a different vehicle, can't compare the two.

True, but better fuel economy and improved ride quality from reduced unsprung mass is a real thing. Heavier wheels and tires really mess up the ability of the suspension to do it's job as effectively and with the overall performance of the vehicle.
If you're talking street usage only, sure. But on the other hand (among other things) just off the top of my head the load capacity of the wheels have different requirements between trucks and sports cars. Also, lighter wheels and tires will be more prone to bending and/or puncturing more easily when used off-highway. "Overall Performance" isn't always fast and light, that term is dependent on the vehicle and the conditions.

And again like Andy said - these are trucks. They are made for a different purpose than a sports car. You can't compare cost of ownership, cost of aftermarket, or suspension/handling between the two ::smile::

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My frontier will not see much offroad use at all, mainly it's a daily driver and tow vehicle for my track car. Do plan to infrequently visit the southwest and go light offroading (not before installing a Torsen type differential though). In those rare cases I would be running the stock wheels with AT tires. I'm just looking for a better than stock wheel in regards to weight and appearance for the majority of time it will be used on road.

I'm getting confused here, wouldn't a shorter backspace be better than a longer one from a sticking further in and having more chance to hit the caliper perspective? I know the spoke attachment to the barrel is key on this truck for wheel fitment, but having the rim shifter more inwards with more backspacing seems counter intuitive to me.

Oh, and here's a picture of what I did with my previous truck for nearly 4 years...

Had a little fun with it and embarrassed any Ford Lightnings that showed up... big fat land barges that can't turn quick. Different story out on a road course though... they could embarrass my track prepared car...

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I'm getting confused here, wouldn't a shorter backspace be better than a longer one from a sticking further in and having more chance to hit the caliper perspective? I know the spoke attachment to the barrel is key on this truck for wheel fitment, but having the rim shifter more inwards with more backspacing seems counter intuitive to me.
After thinking about it more, I removed my backspace comment in my last post because backspace alone doesn't necessarily mean it'll clear brake calipers, suspension components, etc. Yes, spoke to barrel is important, and depending on the wheel face design (specifically the backside) more backspace doesn't automatically mean more room.

This one's hard to resolve without someone actually trying it, or working with the manufacturer to test fit.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. someone had to do it to find out if it did though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a driver, through and through - I will try and extract everything I can about a vehicle to learn its limits, no matter the vehicle. Part of being a driver is knowing what the vehicle can and can't do so you have options on what to do in a given situation.

When it comes to wheels, I only really change out the stock ones if it provides a true performance upgrade to the vehicle - as of now, I haven't found a single wheel that is known to fit the Frontier which works for me, though some are very close. The ones that are close are too wide and have too much offset. When it comes to wheels, a lighter weight wheel with proper width and offset for the tire size I want is the first priority (tire choice comes first, wheel choice second based on the tire choice). Second priority is finding the wheel design that matches up with the vehicles design aesthetics - very picky about this, especially since truck wheels are about the worst at this. And third priority is not spending more than is necessary to do so.

I'm okay with the stock wheels, but would not mind improving the looks and performance with the right wheel. Still looking for that right wheel. Ideally it would be a 22lb or less 17x8 wheel for the 245/70-17 tire size that I would like to run. More realistically it will probably end up being a 16x8 wheel for the stock tire size, because not willing to spend the money necessary for custom wheels - have suspension and drivetrain upgrades I would much rather spend that money on.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
LOL wait - so are you saying that, per your definition, that I'm not a "driver through and through" if I'm not trying to "extract everything I can" out of my truck? IMO part of being a driver is also using the right tool (in this case, vehicle) for the job. That said, you used to autocross in a pickup truck, heh ::wink::

Seriously though - You seen very set on what you want out of a wheel, which is fine - you're picky, I am too. But judging from your list of requirements - good luck finding it. For the last 12 years the Frontier has already been limited to available bolt-on wheel choices due to the fact that the only other vehicle that shared its 6x4.5 bolt pattern with was a Dodge Dakota. fact of the matter is, not many wheel companies support(ed) this bolt pattern, so your choices are limited in that aspect.

Do they offer a "true performance upgrade"? Some don't, some do - but it is subjective in terms of what your definition of a "true performance upgrade" is. Your view seems to be that a wheel has to be lightweight to be a "true performance upgrade." Not necessarily, there's more factors involved than just weight. Coming from a track background I'm sure you know this... so your "true performance upgrade" requirement is subjective.

Also subjective - "finding a wheel design that matches up with the vehicles design aesthetics". That's all based on how you envision your truck and what your tastes are. I might not be a fan of all black 22" wheels, but someone else is hahah

Third - "not spending more than is necessary to do so", that's a hard one... more like "need vs. want". You can get the perfect wheel you want by having them custom made, but it will be expensive. Are you spending more than necessary if you go custom? One could argue no - because for example spending $2k on a custom set of wheels might be what is "necessary" to achieve what you want.

So yeah... not picking on you,just having conversation. You mentioned you have suspension parts on the to-do list, if you can't find a wheel yet maybe you can focus on suspension first. Suspension parts are a lot easier to figure out than wheels for our trucks, that's for sure
::smile::

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm just saying, personally, when I get in a vehicle to drive that my mindset may be a little different than most other people. Yes I do drive considerately, but if there is a turn/series of turns I'm not slowing down, I'm usually speeding up and balancing the chassis to get it to move around just a tad. Frontier is not bad at all in high speed turns, the rear suspension is a little wonky and out of sync in relation to the front though, which is why I really want to get the suspension changed out to the full OME 1.5" lift setup... minimal lift with better ride quality that seems to make the chassis feel like a cohesive unit.

Mainly just venting a little frustration that I found wheels I like/love for the Frontier which would work if it weren't for the caliper inteference issue. Wheels/tires are usually the very first change I make on a vehicle... not on this Frontier. If it's lighter or stronger/stiffer than stock it's an upgrade. Lighter and stronger/stiffer than stock...then a perfect upgrade. For daily driver wheel though, lighter is the main thing (assuming it's properly designed)... unsprung mass is what will determine the ride quality and stability over rough surfaces.

Style is personal and subjective...I am very picky and cringe at a lot of the options available for the Frontier on Discount Tire and Tire Rack. What style I really would LOVE is the KMC XD222, but without beadlock.

·
Premium Member
7,123 Posts
What 245/70/17s are on your short list?

Wouldn't a lift negatively alter your center of gravity for handling's sake?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What 245/70/17s are on your short list?

Wouldn't a lift negatively alter your center of gravity for handling's sake?
Pretty much set on trying the Kumho Crugen HT51 for the first new set of highway tires.

Being a truck, its intended purpose is for use in varied conditions, some of which are off-road. An even 1.5" lift would put it right in line with the height of a stock Tacoma prerunner, I wouldn't want much lift beyond 1.5" though - definitely want to keep it under 2". Drivers seat will be replaced with the Recaro Sportster CS currently mounted in my FR-S and remounted ~2" lower than the stock seated height to offset the CG raise. Driver and passenger are what have the biggest impact on CG inside the cab, lowering the drivers seat and passenger seat will do the most to offset the change. Ergonomics is really the main reason for seat swap though... stock seat is VERY uncomfortable for long trips, the Recaro Sportster CS is a drive across country in absolute comfort seat, and it will hold you in place in the turns. Besides, the NISMO Juke RS and NISMO 370Z have the Sportster CS seat option... ::grin:: Stock seating position feels a little too high and the driving position with the Recaro Sportster CS will require a lower seated position with more seat rake, which is my preference anyways. Win-win. I dropped the seating position in my Tacoma over 3" with the Recaro Ergo seat I put in it.

From all the information I've gathered, the OME standard load suspension setup is exactly what I'm looking for. Whatever wheels I end up getting will give the truck a slightly wider track (looking to put the rim right near the fender plane), so that will help out a little bit as well. My '98 Tacoma was raised 3/4" in the rear due to the Roadmaster Active-suspension configuration, yet handled better than stock due to a more compliant rear suspension. Had it pulling 1G in corners on performance street tires with no handling concerns.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
809 Posts
Pretty much set on trying the Kumho Crugen HT51 for the first new set of highway tires.

Being a truck, its intended purpose is for use in varied conditions, some of which are off-road. An even 1.5" lift would put it right in line with the height of a stock Tacoma prerunner, I wouldn't want much lift beyond 1.5" though - definitely want to keep it under 2".
You do realize there is less than .5" difference in ground clearance between the Frontier and Taco? Oh, we also share a bolt pattern with the Viper, I'm sure you could find some cool light weight wheels there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You do realize there is less than .5" difference in ground clearance between the Frontier and Taco? Oh, we also share a bolt pattern with the Viper, I'm sure you could find some cool light weight gwheels there.

Had the 4-cylinder Frontier spec in my head which is 7.6" ground clearance with 68.7" height, the SV V6 2WD is 8.6" ground clearance with 69.7" height, a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner is 9.4" ground clearance with 69.9" height. I wouldn't be changing the ground clearance any unless I run taller tires which I plan to do on the stock wheels, or sell the stock wheels and get factory PRO 4X4 wheels.

Oh I have found cool lightweight SRT Viper fitment wheels, CCW Corsair C12 @ ~$800 each...18" is the smallest diameter though...

C12 - CCWheel

Would look nice...don't know if they would fit though and realllly not looking to spend ~$3.5k on wheels...

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
809 Posts
Had the 4-cylinder Frontier spec in my head which is 7.6" ground clearance with 68.7" height, the SV V6 2WD is 8.6" ground clearance with 69.7" height, a 2007 Tacoma Prerunner is 9.4" ground clearance with 69.9" height. I wouldn't be changing the ground clearance any unless I run taller tires which I plan to do on the stock wheels, or sell the stock wheels and get factory PRO 4X4 wheels.

Oh I have found cool lightweight SRT Viper fitment wheels, CCW Corsair C12 @ ~$800 each...18" is the smallest diameter though...

C12 - CCWheel

Would look nice...don't know if they would fit though and realllly not looking to spend ~$3.5k on wheels...
If you're going to make comparisons, compare the same models.

Base Frontier = base Tacoma
Desert Runner Frontier = PreRunner Tacoma

1 - 20 of 27 Posts