Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2012 Frontier Pro 4X. This fall and winter the diff lock light and VDC light would come on and off on the dash. This progressed to the point where the diff lock light, VDC light and ABS light came on and stayed on. I took it to my local dealership and they got two codes for a malfunction in the diff lock switch in the rear differential. Their answer to solve the issue and return all features to function properly was to replace the whole rear differential at a cost of about $5,000.00 Canadian. So for now the diff lock switch has been disconnected so it's malfunction will not interfere with the other features. I was wondering if there was a less expensive option, if the existing differential could be repaired? The truck has not been abused, has only 108,000 kilometers (about 65,000 mi) and I have not used the diff lock.

Thanks Tim

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
First off have you checked under the truck. I would head to the rear for the truck and make sure that the wires running to the switch are not broken. And that the plug is well connected. Maybe remove to switch and see if anything is amiss. Next check the ABS lines. I know what does ABS have to do with the diff lock, but it seems that alot of weird stuff can happen when one of those lines are broken.

I just looked and can not seem to find a replacement switch. Seems silly that the entire axle would need to be replaced for a single switch. Maybe it is something that you can find a a junk yard/pick and pull.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nissan4life

I did check under the truck originally and could not see anything wrong. The dealership found the fault codes when they scanned the computer and so that the other features (ABS, etc.) would still work they disconnected the diff lock at the rear differential.

I have seen after market E-lockers available, would that be the same as the diff lock switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is the diff lock position switch malfunctioning, or is the diff itself malfunctioning and the switch is seeing the locker locking (when it shouldn't be)? The difference being a good diff with a bad switch or a diff itself going out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The way the service manager at the dealership described it to me made it sound more like the differential was still good but the switch was bad.

Sounds like you should run from the stealership and find an independent mechanic with a little electrical knowledge. Even an off-road shop could probably sort this out without replacing the whole axle, differential or locker. The dealership's recommendation sounds absurd to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts