Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I have a ‘03 V6 crew cab With a bad oil leak, white smoke exhaust, and constant overheating. I can’t seem to find the leak anywhere. my engine bay is just a mess and I don‘t even think I have a dipstick for my oil. Would it need an engine rebuild? The guy who had it before me looks like he refused to take care of it. He got in a wreck on the Front drivers side. I just found that the air intake was held up by shoelaces under the fender when I was trying to fix the unibody. If there is anything I can do to it for a temporary fix because I have like no time to even take the oil pan off.
would love some feedback, thanks.

also, if anyone knows where I can get a replacement front bumper cover for under $200 for just shipping it would be a lot of help.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Are you loosing coolant? How many miles on it? Maybe the oil leak is from oil coming out the dipstick when the engine is running?

·
Registered
694 Posts
hey all, I have a ‘03 V6 crew cab With a bad oil leak, white smoke exhaust, and constant overheating. I can’t seem to find the leak anywhere. my engine bay is just a mess and I don‘t even think I have a dipstick for my oil. Would it need an engine rebuild? The guy who had it before me looks like he refused to take care of it. He got in a wreck on the Front drivers side. I just found that the air intake was held up by shoelaces under the fender when I was trying to fix the unibody. If there is anything I can do to it for a temporary fix because I have like no time to even take the oil pan off.
would love some feedback, thanks.

also, if anyone knows where I can get a replacement front bumper cover for under $200 for just shipping it would be a lot of help.
Check here for bumper cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
186k miles, my coolant levels are fine, the undercarriage of the engine is just covered in oil. I dont have a clue where the dipstick even is.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
186k miles, my coolant levels are fine, the undercarriage of the engine is just covered in oil.
You're going to need to steam-clean everything first, to get any idea of what you're dealing with. The oil could be coming from a half-a-dozen places, or maybe all of them at once. Next put UV engine dye in the oil and find the leak point.
The white-smoke exhaust points to a head-gasket if it doesn't clear up when the engine reaches operating temperature. Sounds like a basket-case to me, probably cheaper to cut bait and sell it for parts or scrap.

·
Registered
694 Posts
186k miles, my coolant levels are fine, the undercarriage of the engine is just covered in oil. I dont have a clue where the dipstick even is.
Does the white smoke evaporate like big clouds of steam - or create smelly clouds that linger? If steam, you may either have a blown head gasket or a crack in a cylinder. If smelly oil burning clouds that linger, could need the engine rebuilt due to worn piston rings and valve seals.
A blown head gasket or crack in the cylinder wall will cause overheating - but I’d expect your coolant to fluctuate a lot if that’s the problem.
The engine thermostat could be stuck too - that will cause overheating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that really makes me worried about how long this truck would even last. i think I’m going to look for the oil leak tonight after cleaning it. And go from there.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Does the white smoke evaporate like big clouds of steam - or create smelly clouds that linger? If steam, you may either have a blown head gasket or a crack in a cylinder. If smelly oil burning clouds that linger, could need the engine rebuilt due to worn piston rings and valve seals.
A blown head gasket or crack in the cylinder wall will cause overheating - but I’d expect your coolant to fluctuate a lot if that’s the problem.
The engine thermostat could be stuck too - that will cause overheating.
Oil smoke will typically be blue, coolant is typically white steam.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I think if you perform all the diagnostics, you will find your engine is toast. In buying it, you made a young man's mistake. Your intent was to get some wheels so you can move about. Don't compound your mistake by converting your mistake into a project vehicle. Get the advice of an older person when you buy your next vehicle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think if you perform all the diagnostics, you will find your engine is toast. In buying it, you made a young man's mistake. Your intent was to get some wheels so you can move about. Don't compound your mistake by converting your mistake into a project vehicle. Get the advice of an older person when you buy your next vehicle.
When we bought it, my dad wanted a truck for work, we knew it was gonna be a project. After he got a better truck he gave it to me. Going into it, there were a lot of things wrong with it, we’ve just narrowed down the projects to the engine. If the fixes are not anything over $1000 That cannot be diy, then I’m going to call it. But if it is just valve seals, and just a thermostat, then I can get that done when I have time.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When we bought it, my dad wanted a truck for work, we knew it was gonna be a project. After he got a better truck he gave it to me. Going into it, there were a lot of things wrong with it, we’ve just narrowed down the projects to the engine. If the fixes are not anything over $1000 That cannot be diy, then I’m going to call it. But if it is just valve seals, and just a thermostat, then I can get that done when I have time.
I can tell you right now it will be over $1k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can tell you right now it will be over $1k.
If it is over time it will be fine, because I just started working at travel centers of America as a mechanic, when the pay starts coming in I should be ok. If it would be everything at once, then I have a problem. And I only need parts, I want to do everything myself or with my dad.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If it is over time it will be fine, because I just started working at travel centers of America as a mechanic, when the pay starts coming in I should be ok. If it would be everything at once, then I have a problem. And I only need parts, I want to do everything myself or with my dad.
You already planned this as a project vehicle. Why are you wasting our time?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who’s time am I wasting? I ask questions and look on here to find how to fix these problems. you are just telling me to give up on it, I do not have that option. So I come here to find solutions to the problems i can do myself.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Who’s time am I wasting? I ask questions and look on here to find how to fix these problems. you are just telling me to give up on it, I do not have that option. So I come here to find solutions to the problems i can do myself.
You come on this board like a damsel in distress. You tell us you can't find the dipstick. We hear reports of large oil leaks and billowing white exhaust. And you want quick and dirty fixes.

Then you say if the repairs are over $1k, you are going to punt. I wrote you that IMHO, the repair costs will be over $1k. Then you write back that over $1k is OK because you are a car mechanic.

See how you are wasting our time? BTW, don't ever tell a customer that you cannot find the dipstick on their vehicle.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I would do a compression test first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You come on this board like a damsel in distress. You tell us you can't find the dipstick. We hear reports of large oil leaks and billowing white exhaust. And you want quick and dirty fixes.

Then you say if the repairs are over $1k, you are going to punt. I wrote you that IMHO, the repair costs will be over $1k. Then you write back that over $1k is OK because you are a car mechanic.

See how you are wasting our time? BTW, don't ever tell a customer that you cannot find the dipstick on their vehicle.
First of all, I never said im a car mechanic, I work on big rig 18 wheelers. Im trying to find the fastest and cheapest answers. you have not driven or seen my truck. I tried explaining the problems the best I could. If you dont want to help then don’t. You are wasting your own time arguing with me about how you are right and I know nothing. I come here to find answers, not finding someone to just say I screwed up and i shouldnt have bought it. everyone on this forum to find people with similar problems and fixes for them. just stop writing on this one if you don’t like wasting time.

im sorry to everyone here, I take everyone’s suggestions into consideration and find the best fix.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts