Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an estimate on changing the belts on my 2000 Frontier 3.3 for $1066 which I felt was way over priced so I went to the shop next to them which I have had service done in the past and have been very pleased. They quoted me $80, $40 for parts and $40 for labor.

Anyone know why there would be almost a $1,000 difference between the two shops? Should I be nervous about only paying $80 for this or does that sound about right?

I know that first shop is over priced. They diagnosed an issue I was having which turned out to be the distributor. The estimate was $750 parts and labor. I paid $180 for a brand new OEM distributor and took it to that other shop for labor (only $40).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Did they include the timing belt in that $1k estimate?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I worked at a motorcycle dealer for a number of years in the past. We would give est. like that that are 4x what it should be if we didn't want to do it for what ever reason. typeicly because it was a 15 year old bike that had transmission issues, for example. A job like that doesn't make any money because the coast of repair is the price of the bike. And the customer will cry about it and want the price dropped. Plus if you forget to order one of the 100 parts theres so much starting and stoping with the mechanic, it takes extra long, there for cutting into your profits.

I'm not, AT ALL saying your truck is not worth the fix, Im sure its very nice. Im just saying it sounds to me that they didn't have interest in it for what ever the reason. IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
The Other Estimate Didnt Include The Timing Belt And The First Shop From Experiance Quoted All Based On Mileage, And Or Age. And While Youre In Doing The Timing Belt, Youre A Fool If You Dont Put A Water Pump In Since Thats Most Of The Labor In Overlapping Jobs

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, and water pump. Do you think the other estimate might not of included the timing belt? I just asked a quote for having the belts changed.
That makes more sense then. The $80 quote definitely doesn't include replacement of the timing belt and water pump. If it does, that garage would be losing money big time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes more sense then. The $80 quote definitely doesn't include replacement of the timing belt and water pump. If it does, that garage would be losing money big time!
Figured it was too good to be true lol. Need to go back and get a new estimate then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts